Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #29
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
How about a set of raceramps. They have some that are two piece so so drive the car up on the ramps then you disconnect the ramp portion leaving the car raised up with plenty of room to get under the car.

No jacking needed at all.

http://www.raceramps.com/car-service-ramps.aspx
Love my two-piece race ramps, was about to suggest.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
http://www.maxjaxusa.com/
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
Rube

Drives: 2013 summit white ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
A lot of people replying here seem to be missing my point. The ZL1 has a belly pan under the engine that covers the support braces that can be used to jack a non-ZL1 model. I'm not small enough to fit underneath and remove the belly pan prior to jacking the vehicle up. My question was how are current ZL1 owners using a single jack to lift the entire front and get jack stands under. It sounds like that isn't possible and a lift or two jacks are required at the same time.
Even if you didnt put the belly pan back on, and can see the cross member, you couldn't get a floor jack in there and be able to pump the handle. Maybe a scissor jack, otherwise one side at a time is it.
I dont jack, I use ramps (for changing oil, etc)...no muss, no fuss. A couple of 2x6's screwed together standing on edge, and taper cut, no need for $300 ramps. But takin' wheels off, it's one side at a time. One of these would be kinda cool, cheaper and more portable than maxjacks (about $1300)
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-5000.aspx
Rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #32
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Best to lift the car up with two floor jacks front first then the rear. I use the pinch weld jack pads to keep from hitting the lower cover and then set the jack stands under the sub frame.
Attached Images

Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #33
Skylane765

You can see more info here. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324272
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Seems odd to me that GM didn't allow for some room underneath in the front to be able to jack the car up from the middle so we can put jack stands under it.
The ZL1 has 4 pinch weld jack points and slots cut out for jack pads or the stock jack but our car does not come with a jack
Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #35
mrshanes

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
Best to lift the car up with two floor jacks front first then the rear. I use the pinch weld jack pads to keep from hitting the lower cover and then set the jack stands under the sub frame.
John,
I've checked out your product. I'm going to be ordering a set. I'm just wondering how everyone else gets the cars up on stands.
Thanks
mrshanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #36
mrshanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by erke0034 View Post
I use 1 floor jack and four jack stands. lift one side just enough to put the first jack, than do the same on the other side, then lift the first side more and increase the height of the jack stand and repeat it on the other side. To be on the safe side I also put second set of jack stands after I remove the pan and I don't remove the floor jack. It is time consuming but I think the best method for now. This way you have a small working area. I am planning to buy race ramps because they look like more safe.

I hope this helps

Bingo. This is what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the car would try to slip off of one jack stand when you move to the other side. Sounds like just a little at a time will be fine.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #37
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
interested post. Will need to elevate tires for the winter. Any problems with struts/ shocks being elevated for about 5 months?
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #38
Skylane765

Quote:
John,
I've checked out your product. I'm going to be ordering a set. I'm just wondering how everyone else gets the cars up on stands.
Thanks
I seen many Camaros that have a bent floor pan by not using the pinch weld jack points.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #39
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenZL1 View Post
These look interesting, although not cheap.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

I'm pretty sure those won't work with the ZL1. The skirts only have a slot at the pinch weld. That is why the "adapters" above were made by Skylane.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #40
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
A lot of people replying here seem to be missing my point. The ZL1 has a belly pan under the engine that covers the support braces that can be used to jack a non-ZL1 model. I'm not small enough to fit underneath and remove the belly pan prior to jacking the vehicle up. My question was how are current ZL1 owners using a single jack to lift the entire front and get jack stands under. It sounds like that isn't possible and a lift or two jacks are required at the same time.
I hope I am also not missing the point you are making. If you need to get to that jacking point that is covered in the center on a ZL1 by the belly pan, could you first pull up on Race ramps and just remove the pan?

raceramps.com is where I got mine.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #41
RavenZL1

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
I'm pretty sure those won't work with the ZL1. The skirts only have a slot at the pinch weld. That is why the "adapters" above were made by Skylane.
I have Skylanes adapters, but the jackpoint jackstands also come with slot adapters for the pinch welds.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #42
mrshanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I hope I am also not missing the point you are making. If you need to get to that jacking point that is covered in the center on a ZL1 by the belly pan, could you first pull up on Race ramps and just remove the pan?

raceramps.com is where I got mine.
I could do that. But I don't have the race ramps now. They are expensive and if I have the jack and stands I wouldn't need them. Sounds like there is really no simple way to do this. Just a pain.