Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcle6103 View Post
The fact that it only happens as soon as the vehicle reaches operating temperature is what makes me think something is getting too hot
Mine happened cold at 1st startup.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Subscribing for future reference. This is the first I'm hearing about this, and it's never happened to me yet on my 2500 mile 13 SS.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Following
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
mcle6103

Drives: 15 ZL1
Been at the dealership for 2.5 weeks and I'm agitated to say the least. So far they have replaced

- Electronic brake control module(had to wait a week just for this to come in)
- Both wheel sensors
- Yaw sensor
- Checked ground

Now they're having another call today with GM to see where to go next...I brought up the obvious thing being....WHY HASN'T THE STEERING RACK BEEN REPLACED YET?! Since that is what the error message is saying requires service...an intelligent person would think to try that. But I know it's because they don't want to swap out a $1000 steering rack. I'm going to call at the end of the day today to get the update on their next move. Really getting fed up since the dealership has to put 20 miles on the car every time they test drive it. Really tired of it, cold weather will be here in 4 weeks...hopefully I can drive it before then.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
mcle6103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Mine happened cold at 1st startup.
mmm, mine consistently sets 12-15 mins upon driving the vehicle cold. Quicker if the car is already hot.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
mmm, mine consistently sets 12-15 mins upon driving the vehicle cold. Quicker if the car is already hot.
WoW... if it keeps happening you have a serious potentially dangerous problem. Mine only happened once and I took it to the dealer and that was the end of it. I have no clue if they even did anything.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
mcle6103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
WoW... if it keeps happening you have a serious potentially dangerous problem. Mine only happened once and I took it to the dealer and that was the end of it. I have no clue if they even did anything.
Yea no one seems to really have any idea of what fixes the problem. An email has been escalated through my contacts at GM. Hoping it gets forwarded to Oppenheiser...especially since it's been at the dealership 24 freakin days.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Yea no one seems to really have any idea of what fixes the problem. An email has been escalated through my contacts at GM. Hoping it gets forwarded to Oppenheiser...especially since it's been at the dealership 24 freakin days.
Whoa... 24 days.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
We had one car that got two new steering racks, rewired, shortened wires, upgraded wires, better ends, new batteries, two dealerships, two aftermarket performance shops, and lots of hair pulled out. Never could fix it reliably so we converted it to good old fashion hydro steer.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #24
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Looked at the locations of the problem reports and initial ones seem to look like almost all in Texas and Arizona.
Wonder if heat is playing a role in the trouble?

By build count, probably at least 100,000+ Gen5 Camaros with Electric Power Steering Assist.
For the few outside of Texas/Arizona wondering what time of year they FIRST noticed the trouble (first incident time or start out as a Southern Car)?
Trend to heat being a possible factor?
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #25
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Thought the 2012's didn't have it. Or did the laste 2012's get it.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
mcle6103

Well update, the problem was fixed a on Sept 23rd allegedly after a month at the dealership. They blamed the issue on a bad wake-up wire that went to the ABS module, once the ABS wouldn't communicate the car would panic and throw the codes. The car was good for a month after that until last night.

The problem has come back but isn't as consistent, it comes and goes sporadically and "Service Suspension" is now included in the fun. Also since I've had it back from the dealership, if left for 24 hrs the car won't have enough juice to turn the engine over so it has to stay on a battery tender. Fun
Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
Tankrat

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
2014 SS

I just got the "service the power steering" twice now about a week apart while driving... I was turning right at moderate speed to slow speed... The first and now this time the power steering turned off and waa still drivable... After the first time I parked the car went to work, 8 hours later started the car everything was good to go... But not only I get that indication, both times I got tee brake light, ABS light and the traction control light...

Weather: low 70's
Trip distance at time of incident: approx 20 miles

So from reading these posts, I'm checking the ground out for now then take to the dealer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Tankrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #28
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankrat View Post
2014 SS

I just got the "service the power steering" twice now about a week apart while driving... I was turning right at moderate speed to slow speed... The first and now this time the power steering turned off and waa still drivable... After the first time I parked the car went to work, 8 hours later started the car everything was good to go... But not only I get that indication, both times I got tee brake light, ABS light and the traction control light...

Weather: low 70's
Trip distance at time of incident: approx 20 miles

So from reading these posts, I'm checking the ground out for now then take to the dealer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Check all the cables going to the steering assist motor when you check the grounds. Mine stopped working indefinitely after a few times. Never got abs and traction control though

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote