Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
First Modification! Dying leather stitching!

So I started my first modification the other day! I decided to dye the leather stitching from white to blue! After seeing a few other threads from people who had done it before, I decided that it seemed easy enough, and that I would give it a shot. It was super easy, but extremely time consuming and tedious. I started doing mine on August 9th, and I finished on August 11th, it probably took me a total of 7.5 hours (and about 2-3 of those hours was with the help of my sister). It probably took me longer, because I wanted it to look perfect, but no matter what, this is a time consuming DIY.

I bought blue fabric dye pens, and they worked great! They dyed the stitching perfect, but they didn't dye the fabric at all, so the pens where perfect. to do this all you do is buy fabric dye pens (I've heard of people doing this with paint, but I thought that was too risky). Then make sure you have paper towels or wash cloths on hand, and then you draw over the stitching small sections at a time, then you wipe off the excess ink off the leather. Getting ink on the leather is almost inevitable, but as long as you wipe it off it will be fine. You just do this section by section and after a while it will be finished! After I was done, I went through and cleaned my seats with leather cleaner, and the ink stayed on fine! But here are some pictures of my car after I dyed the stitching!

Last edited by Aubrey64; 08-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Aubrey64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, camaro leather, cosmetic mod, interior, leather stitching