Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: What brand catch can do you want brandX to be?
Apex 6 11.11%
Elite engineering 34 62.96%
RX performance 11 20.37%
Mishimoto 2 3.70%
Cusco 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
Catchcan r&d

After performing some due diligence on the LLT motor I come to realize I in fact require a catch can. So would any other DI (direct inject) motor. I had my theory's on what brand is better and I'm kind of a stickler. I paid a bunch of money to have my valves cleaned and I wanted to ensure I'd never have an issue with buildup again. My next option was what brand of catch can? Well plenty on market what to choose from? Also I didn't want my valves corroding again. I decided to go with two catch cans, only because I came across and incredible opportunity. The biggest baddest moroso, and brandX... It kind of happened that way because at the time I had just hit 35000 miles and my 2011 Camaro v6 LS. I was in the market for a catch can when I herd about a great opportunity to work with a very large reputable performance company. I volunteered to perform an experiment for the brandX, who is not only one of the most respected companies on the market but also a supporting vendor of camaro5!!! I mean come on who in this world is gifted with an opportunity like this... After a few short emails I was hooked. I hightailed cross county recorded my milage aswell as driving conditions and avg. mph and mpg. Traveled neary 1300 miles to have cans installed. (Just felt I could use a little vacation/road trip or I would of installed myself) Will get into details latter. All I can say right now is I'm duplicating a test that was performed on a few other vehicles. I'm obtaining very similar results. Not only am I getting better mpg now I'm confident my valves will stay nice and neat looking. Here are some before and after images of the valves. I'm very excited that my car is running strong and staying healthy.
I will continue to add to this thread. I will drain each can and switch them around and provide amounts of oil collected by each can along with positioning. After a few tests and drains. I'll even pull my manifold back off and snap some shots of the valve to see if my valve have remained clean... Be back soon!
Attached Images

Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Additional information on the valve cleaning project.

Here are some images of before and after I have intake valves cleaned. Most people nowadays are going with a seas foam treatment. Wrong!!! Don't do this...! Not everything will burn up and to boot, chunks of corrosion or built of oil deposits that bust off can slip into the cylinders and cause very small lacerations on the cylnders path travled. This can cause or influence blow by or loss of compression and performance. You may ask what's the alternative? What other option do we have. Go green like the rest of the world now days. Use natural media or materials. I used a walnut shell technique. You may notice in some images what looks like tan chunks. That would be evidence of walnut shells that where sence removes post cleaning. You can YouTube the method of this. If you have the proper resources it's quite simple task. Maybe a couple hundred dollars to rig up your tool to perform this task. Beats paying $800-$1200 or even more at a shop or dealership. Also if you build a rig then maybe you could charge your friends for this service.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Dirty image
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Clean image
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Dirty, well it was...
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Another
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Ok I think you get the point. These valves looked bad after only 35000 miles. I can't say much besides I highly recommend performing this on your direct inject motor. Then getting yourself a catch can to keep them clean. Not properly taking care of this can lead to major engine repaired down the line loss of power and mpg. I noticed a significant increase in mpg on my return trip. Post project operations.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Get a cleaning!
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Usually a good hot topic and should have some interesting responses. I think catch cans work with keeping nasty stuff from entering the engine. I've seen what it does on my car.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
After only 35K miles. Thosr intake valves look really nasty.
Nicely cleaned up DI engines are in everyone's future, so it looks
like catch cans are going to be the way to go. And a walnut shell
device. Hope that manufactures come up with a better answer, or start
equipping there cars with catch cans from the factory.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Would be nice I'd say. Perhaps they will be. As you can see mine looked really bad and post cleaning they almost look new. Well new as I have see them anyway... I'm really excited to be running this test for this major company whom I cannot disclose at this point. As I mentioned before I'm running two cans and will continue to update this thread with results and what experiments I have ran. So far I'm Definatly gearing twards "brandX" catchcan. I've collected more oil in that one than the other. You get what you pay for now days. You buy a nice car. Buy atuff to take care of it. Your going to spend $400 on a new 32gb iPhone. May aswell spend extra $50-$100 and get the 64gb. Point being. If you get a catch can you may as well go for quality, not only to ensure your evacuating as much oil vapors as possible but for the life span of your moror. Read up on sole recent discoveries on how bad clogged valves affect your motor. Shit even shell gas and BP have cleaning agent to assist in cleaning then.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Shazbatt79

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert
You got other issues if at 35k you got gunk like that.

Thankfully I have a V8 and no need for one of the Catch cans, mostly they catch snake oil.
Shazbatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbatt79 View Post
You got other issues if at 35k you got gunk like that.

Thankfully I have a V8 and no need for one of the Catch cans, mostly they catch snake oil.
Dont get them started they think they know better than the people who designed the cars. And the 'performance' catchcan shops that will sell you 30 dollars worth of material and labor for 150 all day long
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I use RX performance catch can and after the first oil change I must say it really does it's job. I installed it in March and when I went to empty it, a nice amount came out. I am very happy with this purchase and it was well worth the money, when the car hits 25k I will see what the valves will look like. But like you said you get what you pay for.