Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
RedRock 2SS/RS

Drives: 2014 RedRock 2SS/RS
Thumbs up Wet Trunk

It rained like an SOB last night. Went to Costco to buy a few things this afternoon, opened the trunk and it was wet. Damn!

The majority of the wetness was on the driver's side. Took the mat out - it is a bit wet. I also found some standing water (not much) below the battery. Dried that up and all is well.

So... Please, don't tell me to go RTFM or 'search'. I did.

My 2014 RedRock 2SS has a sunroof and sure enough: what a screwed up design where the sunroof drains meet the rubber grommets that go through the body and vent water into the back of the trunk opening. Seems the one on the driver's side was not exactly all the way in.

I did a number of searches and found the solution: use tie wraps and tightly cinch them. To test the solution, I drenched the top of the car with a garden hose and things looked dry. Rain is predicted for this coming weekend. I'll keep an eye on things. Yes, I can take the car in for warranty work but I figured I'd give this a try first.

So, the reason for this post: If you do a "search" there is PLENTY of information here. Thank you Camaro5 for all this amount of knowledge. All it takes is searching properly to get all the answers.

RedRock 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
mmaattppllaayy

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS
This happened on mine but it was because the hose coming down from the sunroof seemed to be about a half in too short. I put some quick dry superglue on the elbow piece and put the hose in and let it dry. All good now. Should probably be glued from the factory so the joint doesn't leak.
mmaattppllaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Both of mine started leaking around the same week. The elbows didn't fit snug anymore. Tie wraps are an easy fix and allows you to remove drain tube if needed.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I used some glue on mine to hold them together after having a similar problem. I don't remember what I used, but any multi purpose glue or epoxy will work. Or you could use some small hose clamps I suppose.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Ain't a Camaro if the roof don't leak! I owned an '86 with T tops.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
HA! This just happened to me yesterday as well. It's still wet, so I wasn't able to glue it, but I was able to inset the tube back into the drain. Once it's dry, i'll ad some Flex Seal to each end.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
RedRock 2SS/RS

Drives: 2014 RedRock 2SS/RS
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
'll add some Flex Seal to each end.
Good idea!
RedRock 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Happened to me once, like yours, right after a hard rain. In my case, I discovered that the electrical harness attached to the trunk lid had bunched up somehow and compromised the seal. Hasn't done it since, that was over a year ago.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
Zip ties fixed my problem right up.
Laid the mat out for a day to dry, and left the trunk open as well the same day.
I wanted to make sure nothing molded after that experience.
I noticed mine after I started to smell a musty smell inside the car.
I had no reason to open the trunk since it was not my daily, but sure enough , it was wet.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowhiz View Post
Zip ties fixed my problem right up.
Laid the mat out for a day to dry, and left the trunk open as well the same day.
I wanted to make sure nothing molded after that experience.
I noticed mine after I started to smell a musty smell inside the car.
I had no reason to open the trunk since it was not my daily, but sure enough , it was wet.
I will have to try the zip ties. Tried electrical tape but that didn't work. Mine has leaked maybe 3 times.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Anybody have pictures of the drain lines and location?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #12
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't have any pictures right now, but open your trunk and you'll see two black grommets on the back of the opening outside of the seal. then go inside the trunk at the top and you should be able to find the two hoses very easily.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 AM   #13
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Happened to me once, like yours, right after a hard rain. In my case, I discovered that the electrical harness attached to the trunk lid had bunched up somehow and compromised the seal. Hasn't done it since, that was over a year ago.
Had the same thing happen twice after having trunk crammed full for trips. If you fill trunk to rim be sure to check that harness has relaxed back into a hang.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Tigerfan

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Sweet baby Jesus!! This was the solution to my problem. Couldn't figure it out for a week.
Tigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote