Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
Johnny108

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2ss Hyper Metallic
Exclamation Help! Aftermarket exhaust

Hey guys so I've been saving some money to finally purchase an axle back for my 2018 SS. I'm stuck between the flowmaster American thunder or the stainless works. I do have NPP and I'm just looking for something louder than stock plus that nice deep tone. I would appreciate any input to help me decide. Also if anybody has these two systems how much longer is it than stock? Thanks in advance everyone!
Johnny108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
In my opinion, the FlowMaster system sounds better, especially when paired with their Scavenger X-Pipe, and is less expensive too! That being said, I ended up going with the Stainless Works system because I wanted to do a secondary cat delete, and it would have taken some fab work and/or welding by a muffler shop to get the FlowMaster system to be compatible with Borla cat delete pipes. I wanted a simple driveway install. I ended up going way above my initial budget, and ordered a full SW system, including 2.0” headers! Still waiting on the stuff to arrive! But if all you plan on doing is an axle-back, then I think the FlowMaster is the way to go.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I have a sw axleback and I love it. Very low and bassy( is that a word). Super easy to install, but now my npp valves rattle, but not with the stock system though!�� I haven't heard any flowmasters in person, just on YouTube, which never does any exhaust justice.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Johnny108

Thanks so much for the info guys. Yeah for now I was planning on just doing the axle back and then getting an xpipe installed in the next few months as well. I would love to get a catback but I just can't afford that right now. So would you guys recommend the FlowMaster with an xpipe or the SW with an xpipe? Ahhh I really need to hear the flowmaster in person as well. ����
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Flowmaster sounds good at wot and low speeds.
Drones like crazy at cruising speeds. I had to downshift to 5th just to make it tolerable yesterday. (70 mph)
YouTube doesn't show you that
Would have been no prob 10 years ago but I'm getting more old and bitter every minute.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Johnny108

How much louder/deeper is it than the stock exhaust? I don't mind the drone since it's not really a daily driver. I was also thinking of just putting some outlaw mufflers and keeping the stock tips with the npp. What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny108 View Post
How much louder/deeper is it than the stock exhaust? I don't mind the drone since it's not really a daily driver. I was also thinking of just putting some outlaw mufflers and keeping the stock tips with the npp. What do you guys think?

Two other forum members did that as well. They made their NPP valve tip a straight pipe. Sounds awesome from what I heard.

One of them who's local to me said it was just plain too loud but he has cams and FBO. The other said it's just right. Both say there is some drone but it's nothing crazy.

Personally I'm doing this exact plan as well after i get my engagement stuff over with. I'm planning to throw in some J-pipes as a preventative measure to battle drone. Although not sure how to approach the basic design. Maybe make a Y-pipe that branches to the muffler and NPP is the only thing I can think of.

If you beat me to it let us know
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
go with MBRP, cheap and will give you exactly what sound your looking for!
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Quote:
Just the axleback isn't going to have that deep muscle car sound. Maybe combined with the scavenger pipe it might be richer.

I have a five year old so I don't want it to be explosively loud.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
streetyme

Drives: 2016 2SS nav mag ride npp a8
I have the flowmaster axleback American Thunder Npp , but I have the A8 and have not noticed the drone.. I think for the money it's a decent product.
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
streetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Hey guys so I've been saving some money to finally purchase an axle back for my 2018 SS. I'm stuck between the flowmaster American thunder or the stainless works. I do have NPP and I'm just looking for something louder than stock plus that nice deep tone. I would appreciate any input to help me decide. Also if anybody has these two systems how much longer is it than stock? Thanks in advance everyone!
Mbrp!
It sounds nice and clean! And they are cheaper than most.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Drone of the flowmaster outlaw is bad, I'm selling mine.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Johnny108

I was thinking of the MBRP setup as well but to me it doesn't sound as deep as other exhaust. It's a bit to raspy for me. Thank you guys for all the info! Im gonna head down to my local muffler shop at the end of the month and hopefully I can make my decision. If you guys have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them too.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Corsa Extreme and call it a day!

Sounds badass doesn’t drone and you will never have to hear the shitty rattle again lol.

I paired my Corsa with a Borla 60606 midpipe and it fit together beautifully Zero regrets!

Good luck

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle back exhaust, exhaust, flowmaster exhaust, stainless works exhaust