Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you want an All Season Tire Option for the SS
Yes I totally need those tires 60 30.46%
Nope I dont need em, I'll live with Summer Tires 54 27.41%
Stop being a bitch and buy some snow wheels 83 42.13%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
All-seasons are never good enough for winter. Get some new tires, and stop being a bitch, as the poll option says.

Seriously, you can have a little bit of both worlds with all-season tires, but they just don't handle either extreme. You'll do fine on a day with a temperature of 40-80 degrees, but better tires are a necessity by the time your local grass gets frosty or on the hottest days of the year.
The Tires I suggested I ran on my 99 TA for 2 winters and were great in the snow and handled the road as well as the Bridgestone Pole Positions that were on the car when i got it. I drove that car 15 miles to work in a blizzard, when I had people with light SUVs calling in, needless to say I was a bit miffed...

I have been driving cars like this in the snow for 10+ years so its really a non issue, however those cars all had all season tires on them.

Incidentally though my Vette had Kumho Ecsta MX's on it and I basically parked that car when the temperature hit 40 degrees, they were marbles at any temp lower than that! I live in an apartment and I'm tired of doing the 2 car thing, I have 1 garage, so I am constantly fighting for a place to leave my beater (which is in the garage now cause I sold the vette). Especially for, as I said, the 2-3 days a year that it snows here.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Your buying a high performance car... It's not designed to drive in the winter. If you want a "daily driver" that you can drive all year buy the V6 (it comes with all season tires.).

No, performance tires only on the SS.
Any car can be driven in the winter, and GM tested this car in the snow. Whats the real difference that would make a V6 car any more of a daily driver than an SS? Its the same car with a different engine and tires! (yes I know there are other differences, but fundamentally). If you don't hammer the gas you are fine. The only thing that kept me from putting all seasons on my Vette was that its so close to the ground it would be a plow in the snow anyway.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
Rays B4U

Drives: 2003 Silverado SS
V6 or V8, doesn't matter, get you some snow wheels and some SNOW tires, not these so-called "all season" tires. If you live in snow country and your state allows them I would get studded snow tires, some people hate them but if you drive them as they are intended to be driven they are great. If studded tires are not allowed then have the snow tires "siped" this aids in traction too. And finally go buy you several bags of "Kitty Litter" and put them in the trunk over the rear axle, 100-200lbs, don't put in so many that the rear end starts drooping. And then if, no I should say "when" you get stuck you can sprinkle the kitty litter in front of your back tires to get you some traction. Also keep in mind that in deep snow conditions that the low clearance of your Camaro is an issue too. I believe the Camaro comes with traction assist or traction control so that will greatly help too.

A rear wheel drive car can, and has for YEARS, get around in snow conditions, maybe not as good as a front wheel drive car, or a 4X4 but ok if you drive them right. The majority of the cars that the police drive are rear wheel drive Crown Victorias and Dodge Chargers.

If you go drag racing you'll most likely get some drag radials for better traction, so why not get the proper tire for winter driving?

Former Camaros's:
[1967 SS350/RS] [1968 Z28 RS] [1967 SS350/RS] [1978 Z28] [1980 Z28]
Rays B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Any car can be driven in the winter, and GM tested this car in the snow. Whats the real difference that would make a V6 car any more of a daily driver than an SS? Its the same car with a different engine and tires! (yes I know there are other differences, but fundamentally). If you don't hammer the gas you are fine. The only thing that kept me from putting all seasons on my Vette was that its so close to the ground it would be a plow in the snow anyway.
The SS has a different suspension and is closer to the ground than the V6. Just like the vette you had, ITS NOT BEING MARKETED FOR WINTER DRIVING. The v6 is your 'all around' car.

I grew up in alaska, I've driven in stuff that makes anything anyone here in the lower 48 has driven in look like a normal commute (60 below and Ice Fog anyone?) Would I buy a vette or v8 camaro for winter driving? Only if i got another set of wheels and tires for it (and probably not even then with them being so LOW!).
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays B4U View Post
If you go drag racing you'll most likely get some drag radials for better traction, so why not get the proper tire for winter driving?
You my good sir have some of that uncommon common sense...
Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Just do like I do and buy chains for the harsh florida winters :eyeroll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Some of you guys think you need seperate tires for 2 or 3 days out of the year? How about sucking it up and just driving extra careful? Saves more money than the other options...

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

This is turning into an internet argument over how to drive a Rear Wheel Drive car in the snow, and not what I intended. None of these cars are being marketed for winter driving! Its a freeking Camaro not a Volvo!

Listen, I have owned 14 different Camaros, Firebirds, and so forth for many years and driven them through all kinds of stuff. But I appreciate your assertion that I will get stuck, nope sorry never has happened. I dont live in snow country, I live in a part of the country that gets snow 1-2 days per year... seriously... I am going to buy a separate set of wheels and tires for TWO DAYS? This is a problem that can be remedied by a set of all season tires that are perfectly fine for the amount of snow that shows up here. I know this because I have owned similar vehicles, some with worked suspension, of various levels of horsepower and ride height and have driven through everything that the weather has thrown at us out here. You can't even compare the lowered ride height of the SS to a Vette, it still has 3 times the height.

Have you driven and compared Summer tires to a good set of HP all seasons like the PZero Neros? I have, Ive owned more different sets of tires than I can remember. Despite what you may think they are still all Road tires and I guarantee you you wont push any of these to the limits. And if you are, you are driving like a maniac and need to slow down before you kill someone. They aren't a cheap set of Generals, they are still PZeros! When I do race I have separate rims for race tires, so trust me when I say I understand the difference, and I know how to find the limits of adhesion for a set of tires.. I am an avid autocrosser for over 10 years and have multiple regional championships to show for it.

The question here is for those of us who live in an area where $1300 is better spent on a nice new exhaust and air intake than a set of tires that you will need for TWO DAYS A YEAR (I cannot stress this enough), might like an option to have almost the same performance in a tire that's better suited to the climate. Aside from the fact that some of us don't have the storage space for 8 Wheels and tires (race and snow).

Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #23
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Some of you guys think you need seperate tires for 2 or 3 days out of the year? How about sucking it up and just driving extra careful? Saves more money than the other options...
THANK YOU!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
I DO NOT want to spend $1300 on a set of rims and tires for 2 days of snow
Don't. Use that 1,300 and buy a real nice taxi ride....or pay ur buddies gas for a ride in his truck, rent a limo, take a bus, or better yet...STAY HOME! Take a vacation!

Ok...I'm giving you a hard time over taking you literally. I apologize...but only meant it in fun. Seriously, if it's just two days a year, I'm sure 99% of people will just suck it up. Get a ride, drive in it extra careful, et.c
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
All-seasons are never good enough for winter. Get some new tires, and stop being a bitch, as the poll option says.

Seriously, you can have a little bit of both worlds with all-season tires, but they just don't handle either extreme. You'll do fine on a day with a temperature of 40-80 degrees, but better tires are a necessity by the time your local grass gets frosty or on the hottest days of the year.
All-seasons were/are good enough for my GTO in frigid Buffalo,NY. 150-200# in the trunk and the GTO does fine. Of course you have to not drive like an asshat. The GTO has enough power to get you into trouble in slick conditions really fast; the Camaro will be the same- probably worse with the nearly 11" wide tires on the back. I don't plan on driving it daily through the winter here but I don't plan on putting it away Oct 1st to avoid it all either...
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #26
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
lol poll results

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #27
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
i live in northern NJ and i dont really care if the weather is bad i wont drive the camaro or i'll just drive my parents car if need be....its a good excuse to miss class
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Montrose
USN CPO

Drives: 08 Titan,2103 Challenger 392 SRT-8
not sure about every one else but for me the camaro is going to be my fun car if the weather is bad enought for me to question my tires then i will just drive the truck just my two cents.

Montrose