Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
tony_c

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, 2010 Equinox LTZ
The whole front end is changed actually. The lower grille definitely is higher and more inward. Also, the "triangle" shape above the square fog lights is a lot bigger than the normal SS one. So it's almost like everything sticks out more
tony_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
TheColorBlack

Drives: Black 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck204 View Post
Well it probably cost them a lot more to develop and make the molds and do everything else before they can sell the port inserts.

It probably cost them $50K to get all the molds and design ready before they can make the ports for $50(material cost)

Take a look at the xenon scoops...

http://www.carid.com/2011-chevy-cama...non-82450.html

...assuming that material and its cost are the same...wouldnt the scoop have to go through all the same process in molding and design and such as the port??? Yet xenon can sell it's scoop for 150...and the port sells for 400.
TheColorBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
ck204

Drives: X5, FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColorBlack View Post

...assuming that material and its cost are the same...wouldnt the scoop have to go through all the same process in molding and design and such as the port??? Yet xenon can sell it's scoop for 150...and the port sells for 400.
Looks like the Xenon Scoopes are much easier to install, therefore more people are likely to buy them, which means more selling volume, and lower price.

The ACS port requires a lot of cutting and other things for installation, and they probably won't sell as many sets as the Xenon even at the same price.

Bottom line is, the seller/manufacture sets the price, if you like it, you buy it. If you think it's too expensive, then don't.

ACS set the price at $400 for a while and haven't dropped the price yet, so I assume the $400 is a relatively optimized pricing point for them. They have the right to set whatever price they want.
ck204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Yes the same process occurs, but the xenon scoops are designed to be built into the car. They are simply stuck on with silicon/epoxy. Also keep in mind that the ACS bumper ports are actually functional. Where as the xenon scoops are not. I am sure that if these ports were so easily molded and put together, another company would have jumped on them by now. But, almost 2 years since ACS came out with these ports there is yet to be another company make them.

I honestly don't know why I am trying to explain this to you. From your previous posts it is pretty obvious that you aren't looking for an explanation, rather just ranting to rant. I can understand that you think the price is high, or that its label mark up, etc etc. But at the end of the day, their are thousands of people whom are perfectly OK with paying the $400.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
I dont understand why another company hasn't stepped up to the plate to make another port. I too believe that $400 for those two pieces are really expensive, and feel that by now the price should of dropped. I really want the t3 ports and might just have to shell out the $400 for the t3/Leno/zl1 look.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I dont understand why another company hasn't stepped up to the plate to make another port. I too believe that $400 for those two pieces are really expensive, and feel that by now the price should of dropped. I really want the t3 ports and might just have to shell out the $400 for the t3/Leno/zl1 look.
I agree, I have been back and forth with buying these ports but I feel they are priced just a little too high. I know there was R&D that went into it and material costs, but I look at what else I can drop $400 on for parts with this car and then compare to these molds, they just seem high for some molds. I do love the way they look and ACS has done a great job and still want to get them but I think I will wait for a sale or price drop... hopefully they notify people or I see it in time haha.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #21
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
I know there was R&D that went into it and material costs, but I look at what else I can drop $400 on for parts with this car and then compare to these molds, they just seem high for some molds.
that right there is why I haven't gotten them. $400 buys a lot of other mods. that and then you have to pay for install (which I believe is like 6 hours of labor ).
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
tony_c

T3 ports are nothing like the Leno ports
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
TheColorBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Yes the same process occurs, but the xenon scoops are designed to be built into the car. They are simply stuck on with silicon/epoxy. Also keep in mind that the ACS bumper ports are actually functional. Where as the xenon scoops are not. I am sure that if these ports were so easily molded and put together, another company would have jumped on them by now. But, almost 2 years since ACS came out with these ports there is yet to be another company make them.

I honestly don't know why I am trying to explain this to you. From your previous posts it is pretty obvious that you aren't looking for an explanation, rather just ranting to rant. I can understand that you think the price is high, or that its label mark up, etc etc. But at the end of the day, their are thousands of people whom are perfectly OK with paying the $400.
Hmmm...that post was actually going to the other guy that talks about the cost of development as if it is the reason for the high price...I'm just saying...it isnt.

And I could care less really about the ports...I want the whole front fascia.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
tony_c

Quote:
Hmmm...that post was actually going to the other guy that talks about the cost of development as if it is the reason for the high price...I'm just saying...it isnt.

And I could care less really about the ports...I want the whole front fascia.
Agreed. I REALLY want the whole front fascia...hence the post haha
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
TheColorBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_c View Post

right...and honestly...it looks rather cheap being slap on like that.

i want the whole leno front...and i'm not going to settle for some expensive slap on ports
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
tony_c

Quote:
right...and honestly...it looks rather cheap being slap on like that.

i want the whole leno front...and i'm not going to settle for some expensive slap on ports
Exactly how I feel. If it doesn't look 99% like Leno's than not getting it. I want it so bad though! Someone has to make it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #28
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_c View Post
Either way I want something different that the crappy DRL housings there haha.

Someone make the Leno fascia!