Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I will be going Mobil 1 all the way and changing every 3-5000 miles.

As for break in, 500 miles without breaking 4500 RPM or staying at any one RPM for too long. No cruise control for 1000 miles and then let her rip!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
here's the fob
Is this standard with the SS/RS or an add on?
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Recommended break-in:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...30&postcount=9

I can't remember how I broke in my GMC.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforbes View Post
Does anyone plan on putting in Slick 50 or similiar product on their first oil change, or is this a waste of money?
Im going to be replacing ALL my fluids with Royal Purple. I wish they made gasoline....
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Keeping mine under 4K rpms (only once have I went past that and that was today with 486 miles) for the first 500 miles, change oil and then she's ready to go IMO!

Also...I've done almost all city driving...been on the highway a couple times but only for 5 - 10 miles each trip. So lots and lots of city driving and varying rpms so far...getting the recall taken care of tomorrow and oil changed with my $100 maintenance coupon!

Almost time to see what this baby has...
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Are any of you swapping out the Mobil 1 the car comes with for real dino oil for your break-in period? My dealer swears that is an unnecessary and expensive undertaking. Thoughts/comments?
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #21
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
My dealer said that I do not need to change the oil at 500 Miles...thats old school...and no breakin period either. he said since you only drive it in the summer change your oil in spring time when you take it out. So i think I`ll let my Oil indicator tell me when to change it ..
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyinBlue View Post
Are any of you swapping out the Mobil 1 the car comes with for real dino oil for your break-in period? My dealer swears that is an unnecessary and expensive undertaking. Thoughts/comments?
Why would you do that? Dinosaur juice is better now than it's ever been but synthetic is still better. If the car was designed and built for synthetic, it should use synthetic.

Anyway, most modern synthetic is actually highly refined dinosaur juice.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
Quote:
In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified mineral oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils. To the best of my knowledge, Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline, and Motul 5100 are the only oils made from pure traditional synthetics.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
Is this standard with the SS/RS or an add on?
An accessory that you by from the parts counter at your dealer. Costs about $200
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #24
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
"The type of fluid used during break-in is also important. You may have heard that synthetics are "too good" to use during the first miles on a new engine, and this is true. The main reason for this is the piston rings, which as we have said need time to seat to the cylinder walls properly; if they don't, horsepower and efficiency will be left on the table thanks to reduced cylinder pressures. Mark Chacon elaborates: "The ring face must have ample time to break in to the cylinder wall finish, and running a conventional oil for the first 1,500 miles or so will aid this. Ring seal needs to be firmly established before synthetic is introduced into the motor, and one of the reasons the factory LS1 has such a heck of a time with ring seal to begin with, in my view, is that many come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. Once you put synthetic in, what you've got is what you've got, and the rings may never really wear to the cylinder walls. Of course, feel free to eventually switch to synthetic because of its better properties, but make sure the rings have seated fully first; short of using a cylinder leakdown tester, mileage accumulation is the only way to tell whether this has occurred."

This is a quote from the break-in procedure referred to by you (theholycow) which recommends switching from dino oil to synthetic oil following the break-in period. That's where my question came from.
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #25
04ssSilverado

Drives: above `12 zl1 #780
the only thing i've gone by the book on break-in,was a yamaha waverunner.20 hrs;the crankshaft broke into.
04ssSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #26
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyinBlue View Post
This is a quote from the break-in procedure referred to by you (theholycow) which recommends switching from dino oil to synthetic oil following the break-in period. That's where my question came from.
OIC. Well, I don't agree with everything in that procedure, then. It's been a while since I've thoroughly read that and I have forgotten that part.

If the car comes with dino oil, then I certainly wouldn't change to synth until after the break-in; but if it comes with synthetic, then the manufacturer intends for synthetic to be used during break-in.
Quote:
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
I have searched the boards for the break in of the car and found many things. What is manufacturer recommended break in period what needs to be done during. I have heard many things

- 1500 Miles in break in period.
- No more than 100 MPH and no higher than 500 miles.
- After 500 miles you need to do an oil change
Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I will be going Mobil 1 all the way and changing every 3-5000 miles.

As for break in, 500 miles without breaking 4500 RPM or staying at any one RPM for too long. No cruise control for 1000 miles and then let her rip!
Mobil1 and 3000 mile oil changes? I guess if you want to waste money...