Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
One additional item I forgot to mention and that came up in another thread. As good as the tires are on the track in the dry, they are equally slippery in the rain. I hit some moderate storms on the way home and the tires were ok until the water started to puddle on the road. It was definitely clear that at points the tires were surfing. If you were going to drive this car in the rain often, I would seriously consider alternate tires with more water channels. At the very least, be extra cautious with any amount of water on the road.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #16
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
This is exactly why I'm trying to convert a few friends lol I keep telling them this car is a beast in so many aspects!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Great write up! Didn't see any mention of overheating either. Sounds like they got the bugs worked out.

Had a friend do the Ron Fellows school last month. The Z06 he drove kept overheating. :(
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
Great write up! Didn't see any mention of overheating either. Sounds like they got the bugs worked out.

Had a friend do the Ron Fellows school last month. The Z06 he drove kept overheating. :(
No overheating issues at all. Didn't even notice the temp rising at all. I can look through the telemetry and see exactly but I don't recall anything of consequence.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Excellent write up and I really appreciate the updates. I'm really on the fence about the A10 for track use and wanted to see if any problems would come up this track season with more ZL1/A10's on the track. Chevy did not make it available for either 1LE models and I'm not sure why other than all 1LE's have been manual only. I will look forward to your future reviews and if you get a chance please post your average MPG. I'm just curious about real gas mileage vs EPA estimated mileage. We hope to see you at Camaro fest.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Great review!! I've only had my car on a drag strip thus far, but from that and all the playing on back roads, I totally agree with everything you said. Even the sketchy driving in rain. I was caught in one quick shower and everything was fine until I hit a spot where a thin stream of water was running across the road. The rear of the car stepped out ever so slightly. That never would've happened with a more all season tread. I plan to keep the car out of any rain if I can help it, so I'm not changing tires just because showers can pop up and catch you unexpectedly from time to time.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #21
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Excellent write up and I really appreciate the updates. I'm really on the fence about the A10 for track use and wanted to see if any problems would come up this track season with more ZL1/A10's on the track. Chevy did not make it available for either 1LE models and I'm not sure why other than all 1LE's have been manual only. I will look forward to your future reviews and if you get a chance please post your average MPG. I'm just curious about real gas mileage vs EPA estimated mileage. We hope to see you at Camaro fest.
Thanks. Under normal highway driving conditions, I've gotten between 25 and 27 MPG. I went on a 900 mile trip last week and before I got to the track I was sitting right at 22 MPG for the trip. That was mostly highway with some town driving mixed in. So far I've been really impressed with the fuel efficiency on the car (although that's not why I bought it). I will tell you that on the track it chugs the fuel. Granted, I run the car pretty hard. I can get about 4 20 minute sessions on a tank, but I wouldn't run the 4th session without filling up first. Again, I wasn't expecting to get great fuel economy on the track.

Unfortunately, I can't make the Fest. I was really hoping to be there, but I have to be in NYC for business.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #22
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
"I replaced the stock fluid with Motul high temp fluid, but everything else it totally standard."

That's very impressive that your pads are stock. That braking zone for turn 1 is no joke, and I get nervous braking at 125mph at the 500' mark. I couldn't imagine going over 140. I'm Llamawerkz on Youtube by the way. We've exchanged a few posts there.

Impressing the instructors on braking capability is pretty cool. They're almost all Miata or Porsche guys (the instructors). Maybe cars like the ZL1 will convert a few

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
"I replaced the stock fluid with Motul high temp fluid, but everything else it totally standard."

That's very impressive that your pads are stock. That braking zone for turn 1 is no joke, and I get nervous braking at 125mph at the 500' mark. I couldn't imagine going over 140. I'm Llamawerkz on Youtube by the way. We've exchanged a few posts there.

Impressing the instructors on braking capability is pretty cool. They're almost all Miata or Porsche guys (the instructors). Maybe cars like the ZL1 will convert a few
Hey! Nice to meet you on here too. Thanks for all the comments. As I said, I'm really impressed with the brakes on this car and with the car overall. The instructor commented several times in how good the brakes were. I want to get a little deeper into that corner (and all of them) next time out. I think that's where I can pick up more time. I think a few folks were definitely impressed with the ZL1. It's not your father's Camaro. LOL.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #24
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
Thanks. Under normal highway driving conditions, I've gotten between 25 and 27 MPG. I went on a 900 mile trip last week and before I got to the track I was sitting right at 22 MPG for the trip. That was mostly highway with some town driving mixed in. So far I've been really impressed with the fuel efficiency on the car (although that's not why I bought it). I will tell you that on the track it chugs the fuel. Granted, I run the car pretty hard. I can get about 4 20 minute sessions on a tank, but I wouldn't run the 4th session without filling up first. Again, I wasn't expecting to get great fuel economy on the track.

Unfortunately, I can't make the Fest. I was really hoping to be there, but I have to be in NYC for business.
Thanks for the gas mileage info. I have tracked my 2012 ZL1 several times and averaged a quarter tank of gas per 20 minute session. 20 mpg is my average with just highway driving. I'm just curious if the new A10 can beat the EPA numbers in real driving conditions.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #25
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks for the gas mileage info. I have tracked my 2012 ZL1 several times and averaged a quarter tank of gas per 20 minute session. 20 mpg is my average with just highway driving. I'm just curious if the new A10 can beat the EPA numbers in real driving conditions.
The EPA says 20 mpg on the highway. I've easily been able to beat that even with town driving mixed in. I'm also in the hills of MD. On flatter ground I suspect you could do even better.