Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
MarvinOne

Drives: 2004 Grand Prix
Looking for MyLink Feedback

After evaluating the Charger V6 and the Camaro V6 this weekend, I had talked myself into the Camaro and even thought I'd "upgrade" to the 2LT model instead of the 2LS model. Then tonight I read through some fine print and realized it comes with the MyLink system that doesn't have a CD player. I think it's great that cars are adding some new digital player functions, but I didn't think CD players were disappearing already! Call me old, but I actually just bought a new CD this weekend!!

I'm trying to decide if this is a deal breaker or not. My computer hijacked several of my digital files which makes them impossible to download onto anything, and I'm really not a fan of spending 2 days' time just trying to get my music lined up - which I recently did trying to recover my mp3 files that windows changed to wma ones.

I did a little research and I'm reading stories where mp3 players (all different brands) weren't loading properly, and the MyLink system needed software upgrades or didn't work correctly right from the start. To those that have this system, what's your experience? I'm not interested in hooking it up to a phone, I just need my music when I drive! I love regular radio, but sometimes there's just nothing on.

Also, has anyone added an after market CD player? I simply find that throwing a CD in the player saves me a boat load of time and hassle. And before you call me old or old-fashioned...I spend 40+ hours each week working on sophisticated computer software. I'm not opposed to technology, I just need a break from it outside of work!
MarvinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Wait what's a cd? Just use a USB drive.
DagoCountyGee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Search YouTube. There are a lot of MyLink video's on there.
tom231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Works fine for me. I keep all of my CD's (and online purchased music) on the computer. Then simply copy what I want onto a USB thumb drive. Depending on the size drive you use, you will have access to 100's or even 1000's of files.

Not that it's relevant, but the computer likely didn't "change" your audio files. If they were ripped using WMP, wma is the default file format. So it's possible they were always wma and you didn't notice.

In any event, MyLink supports mp3 and wma file formats.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
WARNING: I'm working a problem with MyLink support and they told me the CURRENT iPod Touch isn't supported in my 2013 Camaro. Isn't that just peachy :(

None of these problems happen with my 2010 Buick Enclave with the Bose audio system (no nav), my 2010 Camaro 2LT or my brother’s 2010 Buick LeCrosse with nav.

The problems happen with 3rd, and 4th generation Nano, 5th generation Touch, and an iPhone 4S without a SIM card being used as an iPod.

1. It doesn’t always recognize the iPod is plugged in. To correct that the car needs to be turned off and door opened to shut down the MyLink unit then restart the car.
2. When playing podcasts or audio books they start back up playing at a very fast speed after stopping the car. This happens even if the audio is turned off before stopping/starting the car. This indicates to me something is happening when powering off the unit. If I use the Menu to switch to playback music and then go back to the podcast or audiobook the playback speed is normal (podcasts and audiobooks allow changing playback speed)
3. More than half the time when using the iPod touch the content plays through the speakers in the iPod NOT the car audio system.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I just bought a 2013 a couple days ago with the nav version of mylink, and discovered there was no CD slot. I went online to find a manual, and it shows there is an audio input jack, so you can connect a walkman style cd player in the center console if CD's are a must.

What I did not like is you cannot connect a hard drive to the USB. I wanted to put a 256GB SSD with FLAC and WAV file rips of my CD's, but it's not possible to connect directly to the USB.

I also experienced that the USB port does not recognize my thumb drive without pulling it out and back in, and the USB port is NOT in a convenient location for that activity.

Now I have to search the forums looking for info on tried and true bullet proof USB drives to purchase, because every year, the newer USB drives get bigger, and will be incompatible with this radio, so get the working ones now, or lose out down the road.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepitt View Post
WARNING: I'm working a problem with MyLink support and they told me the CURRENT iPod Touch isn't supported in my 2013 Camaro. Isn't that just peachy :(

None of these problems happen with my 2010 Buick Enclave with the Bose audio system (no nav), my 2010 Camaro 2LT or my brother’s 2010 Buick LeCrosse with nav.

The problems happen with 3rd, and 4th generation Nano, 5th generation Touch, and an iPhone 4S without a SIM card being used as an iPod.

1. It doesn’t always recognize the iPod is plugged in. To correct that the car needs to be turned off and door opened to shut down the MyLink unit then restart the car.
2. When playing podcasts or audio books they start back up playing at a very fast speed after stopping the car. This happens even if the audio is turned off before stopping/starting the car. This indicates to me something is happening when powering off the unit. If I use the Menu to switch to playback music and then go back to the podcast or audiobook the playback speed is normal (podcasts and audiobooks allow changing playback speed)
3. More than half the time when using the iPod touch the content plays through the speakers in the iPod NOT the car audio system.
True...the workaround for me is an ext USB cord discretely tucked outside the center console I just plug and unplug once car is fired up.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
I just bought a 2013 a couple days ago with the nav version of mylink, and discovered there was no CD slot. I went online to find a manual, and it shows there is an audio input jack, so you can connect a walkman style cd player in the center console if CD's are a must.

What I did not like is you cannot connect a hard drive to the USB. I wanted to put a 256GB SSD with FLAC and WAV file rips of my CD's, but it's not possible to connect directly to the USB.

I also experienced that the USB port does not recognize my thumb drive without pulling it out and back in, and the USB port is NOT in a convenient location for that activity.

Now I have to search the forums looking for info on tried and true bullet proof USB drives to purchase, because every year, the newer USB drives get bigger, and will be incompatible with this radio, so get the working ones now, or lose out down the road.
Actually you shouldn't have to pull the thumb drive out and back in. Should work automatically when you start your car if that was the last thing you had on. In reality, that is one of the "many" quirks with MyLink. Sometimes it works as designed, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
True...the workaround for me is an ext USB cord discretely tucked outside the center console I just plug and unplug once car is fired up.
Tried that. Apparently you may have to switch to another source, unplug the iPod, plug it back in after restarting car. I tried just unplugging it after turning off the car and it still plays super fast. However that doesn't fix the problem with the Touch playing through the internal speaker instead of the car audio.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I love the mylink in my car. It has worked flawlessly with usb drive and my galaxy s4. I know some people have had issues, but mine has not had any problems.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post
I love the mylink in my car. It has worked flawlessly with usb drive and my galaxy s4. I know some people have had issues, but mine has not had any problems.
You're one of the lucky few. Maybe you just haven't had the car long enough.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
I've had the '13 2LT/RS 6 months tomorrow and just rolled 12,004 miles when I pulled in the garage last night. IPhone 4 and 5 both work great, the new iOS 7 seems to connect and index faster and the Bluetooth streaming and calling is more reliable. Hopefully when the iOS 7 general release comes out this fall it will take care of a lot of people's issues. I've never had to use a flash drive with the camaro.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji1997 View Post
You're one of the lucky few. Maybe you just haven't had the car long enough.
Why I need to have the car a long time? Most of the problems people are having are consistent day 1 problems. Mine would only change if/when i chose to do an update.

The only thing I dislike is the XM, but I have always disliked XM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Hopefully when the iOS 7 general release comes out this fall it will take care of a lot of people's issues. I've never had to use a flash drive with the camaro.
without an update for ML from chev, 7 will open up a while 'nother set of problems...

car mfr's loathe new OS systems from the handset mfrs....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote