Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
onequickshift
Two Camaros :)

Drives: 69+10 Chevy Camaro
Any AR-15 Owners?

Any owners members on here too? Was wondering if there were, I am looking into buying my first AR to purchase in California. (Ewww right? Stupid gun laws) , well anyways, you know how there is a few things like the magazine lock (which can be eased with a bullet button), as well the 10 capacity magazines? Well I am having a problem finding good quality mags.

My 3 rifles in Colorado, a Noveske build, as well a stag 2T and a dpms agency. All eat from Tapco, Magpul, and HK clips which all perform flawlessly for me, but I am purchasing a rifle for here in so cal, and it needs to feed from a 10 round mag, anyone have any suggestions or brands they use that eats clean?

Also looking at Mini 14 as possible buy.

So finally my 69' has a buddy in the garage. Bought at insurance auction, smashed up face, and needing lots of tlc. He's all better now. Not quite the BRAND new Camaro I was aiming for, but perfect. Now I don't need to buy one, having to strip it and rebuild. Stock motor is going into something else. New body parts, new heart. He's waiting to cruise to Sema

onequickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Luvpilot

Drives: GM
Could Be

Luvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
texan

Drives: people crazy
got guns

sorry, never had to use small capacity mags. i've had good luck with tapcos and magpulls on my 556 and 308

I like the used clips for my ak's
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I have guns Also!

AR-15
9mm
.38 Auto
1917 30.06 Eddiestone
Win 30/30

I have 30 round mags and 20 round mags for my AR.

Best place is Army surplus stores to get them (used) If you want them NEW let me know and I will quote you a price!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
bushmaster carbon 15 instead
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
onequickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
got guns

sorry, never had to use small capacity mags. i've had good luck with tapcos and magpulls on my 556 and 308

Picked up a Savage Bolter, eats 308. Cheap CHEAP cheap rifle, but the accuracy is hard pressed to beat, I believe mine was tagged as "LE" model rofl, even though its just a stock differance I think from the normal hunting ones?

What brand for muntions are you using? 5.56 is pretty pricey :( but I had an overstocked bulk buy which is kept at our other house in Colorado. I hate cali's stupid laws. I've been flooding Arnolds answering machine thing. I hate this state...but school...and work is here.

Looking right now to move after school is over. Just to live by the ocean? Calis bs isnt worth it. Gives me a damn headache thinking about it.

So finally my 69' has a buddy in the garage. Bought at insurance auction, smashed up face, and needing lots of tlc. He's all better now. Not quite the BRAND new Camaro I was aiming for, but perfect. Now I don't need to buy one, having to strip it and rebuild. Stock motor is going into something else. New body parts, new heart. He's waiting to cruise to Sema

Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
onequickshift

Quote:
got guns

Thats what everyone is saying. I asked my dads friend at magpul if they had anything or could make me anything, but he said they didnt carry anything under 20, and suggested I move lol.

TX is a possible place I wanna move. Imagine a little thing like me getting out of a huge silverado yay! toating around my range bag and shooting with big guys?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
onequickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Collier Sr View Post
I have guns Also!

AR-15
9mm
.38 Auto
1917 30.06 Eddiestone
Win 30/30

I have 30 round mags and 20 round mags for my AR.

Best place is Army surplus stores to get them (used) If you want them NEW let me know and I will quote you a price!
What makes do you have?
My AR's are mixed, over all, I have 5 factory built rifles, DPMS, Bush, Colt, etc. But I also have 4 home builds from when I was bored and going to Wyotech.

My 9mm's are a Springfield XD, Springfield XDm, Wilson Combat SDS,Taurus 1911 PT, Springfield EMP, and a Sig Sauer P226.

45s are a Ed Brown Special Forces, Kimber Custom II, Kimber SIS Ultra and Custom RL, HK USP, Night Hawk Enforcer, Twin Night Hawk T3's one in black one in stainless, and a Wilson Combat Supergrade. CCW carries are the above Kimber SIS Ultra and Para Ord PXT Hawg.

Newest Toys as of 10am are a Mossberg 500, 8shot. pic rail heatshield, surefire x300 light, bandolier with 30 round hold capacity, 5 round holder for the butt stock on its side. A few boxes of 00 for it. A Taurus 605 Stainless in 357. Galco belt holster, 2 extra clip wheels for it, and belt pouch to hold those too. And some federals to feed. Surefire E2D (new 200lumen model), Gerber LMF II with leg and belt rig, Rat Cutlery RC3 and RC5 in custom dark pink coat on blade, and black hello kitty engraved handles. New Red Converse, and Maxpedition Falcon bag. Its Christmas a year early. Next on my list are some new tools :\

What are you using mounted for optics/sights? I am using EOtech, Bushnell, Trijicon, and Aimpoint.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
The bullet button is not an approved item by the Department of Justice. Just remember, when you go to a range and an off duty cop comes up to you. He can take that weapon and you may or may not get it back. California has a list of companies that are on CA ban list. They have not updated the list and a lot new companies are not listed on there. And your rifle cannot have certain "Evil Features" on the rifle itself. But when you go to a gunshow here in San Diego, they do sell AR-15 with the bullet button. Mags, MAGpul are the easiest to mod from 30rd cap to 10rd cap. Once mod to 10rd, its some what legal, its in the grey area. Here's a link thats very helpful. http://www.calguns.net/ that link is hours and hours of trying to find a loop hole. The best thing to do is "if" get an AR-15. Have the bullet button (1min to install), mod all Mags to 10rd cap, and to store it have an actual 10rd mag inserted in mag well, bolt to the rear, and a trigger lock. So when a cop comes inside your house and finds it. The rifle will stay and if any "illegal" items such as 30rd mags and incindery rds are found, you'll go to jail for those, not the rifle. Just go to that site and read. I highly suggest not transporting a rifle from out of state.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
texan

Drives: people crazy
I keep a dozen or so 223 winchester white boxes around for the shelf but my varmit and target shooting is usually bulk wolf or american eagle 556. The steel can be a little harder on your pin and extractor. The ammo shortage seems to be subsiding. I'm starting to see more inventory than when Obama was new and the scare was on. However, the prices still seem to be a little high. I have a fun dealers and smiths I work with that hook me up.

I have shot Winchester and Federal brass 308 recently. I don't like the FMJ or bulk for the M1A. It means a lot more to me on a shot than with my 556 guns. I am researching reloading for the 308. It's really expensive. But I love it.

+1 on the EOTech. I only have one EOTech so far, 557 on my DPMS but I love it. I have a Tasco Red Dot on SKS. Only Leupold on my hunting rifles.

MOVE!!! Don't get me started on CA BS
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
ok.... former Marine here... whats a bullet button? i feel sheepish...
Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
ok.... former Marine here... whats a bullet button? i feel sheepish...
California limits the number of "evil" features your rifle can have. The "bullet button" is a mag release that is recesed so you cannot release it without a tool (or a bullet) which means that your rifle does not accept "detachable magsazines" and you can have a different "evil feture" instead like a pistol grip.

If I were looking to buy an EBR and couldn't leave CA, I'd be thinking Keltec SU-16CA. The CA was built for CA's sucky laws and I like it a lot more than any CA legal AR I've seen. I also think the Mini-14 is a CA good option, but the SU-16 uses AR mags and iirc it has a thicker barrel.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
onequickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
The bullet button is not an approved item by the Department of Justice. Just remember, when you go to a range and an off duty cop comes up to you. He can take that weapon and you may or may not get it back. California has a list of companies that are on CA ban list. They have not updated the list and a lot new companies are not listed on there. And your rifle cannot have certain "Evil Features" on the rifle itself. But when you go to a gunshow here in San Diego, they do sell AR-15 with the bullet button. Mags, MAGpul are the easiest to mod from 30rd cap to 10rd cap. Once mod to 10rd, its some what legal, its in the grey area. Here's a link thats very helpful. http://www.calguns.net/ that link is hours and hours of trying to find a loop hole. The best thing to do is "if" get an AR-15. Have the bullet button (1min to install), mod all Mags to 10rd cap, and to store it have an actual 10rd mag inserted in mag well, bolt to the rear, and a trigger lock. So when a cop comes inside your house and finds it. The rifle will stay and if any "illegal" items such as 30rd mags and incindery rds are found, you'll go to jail for those, not the rifle. Just go to that site and read. I highly suggest not transporting a rifle from out of state.
Hmmm my friend Alex with ATF and his brother in LAPD both say out of sight out of mind. If something is out in the open legal or illegal its open to search and seize. I do go to CALGUNS :P you going to the Orange County Fair grounds on the 28 and 29?

Nah, Ill just use standard 10 round mags. J & J armory sell high quality AR's with a tool required button and all "evil" features one may want on their signature rifles. And are legal. Was in there last week with 2 OC Sheriff Deputies buying stuff for their duty rifles they were checking out my camaro and I was bugging them if I could hold one of their rifles, to see how heavy they were. Much lighter actually then my Colt or Stag. Comparable to my Noveske built. Im not very big mind you I weigh as much as a child rofl. So I notice weight a little differently then a guy would, and I am assuming you're above 5-5 and more then 140 pounds? maybe less, but I still am not as strong as most are.

For evil features do you mean the pistol grip? colap-stock? etc? I hate the idea of how they want people to reload, its stupid. As well what if there is a mag malfunction. Gheez. Stupid laws.

Cheaper Than Dirt wont even ship munitions to orange county, I tried and they said NO. So I had been last week snooping around for places to get nice 223 from blackhills, and some 5.56. Got some bulk buy on 308 for my Savage Box of 20 for $8.99 I bought 2 crates.

I hate ammo prices too. I am just a mad camper huh?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
onequickshift

Quote:
I keep a dozen or so 223 winchester white boxes around for the shelf but my varmit and target shooting is usually bulk wolf or american eagle 556. The steel can be a little harder on your pin and extractor. The ammo shortage seems to be subsiding. I'm starting to see more inventory than when Obama was new and the scare was on. However, the prices still seem to be a little high. I have a fun dealers and smiths I work with that hook me up.

I have shot Winchester and Federal brass 308 recently. I don't like the FMJ or bulk for the M1A. It means a lot more to me on a shot than with my 556 guns. I am researching reloading for the 308. It's really expensive. But I love it.

+1 on the EOTech. I only have one EOTech so far, 557 on my DPMS but I love it. I have a Tasco Red Dot on SKS. Only Leupold on my hunting rifles.

MOVE!!! Don't get me started on CA BS

I f*cking hate my M1A from springfield, have had to send it back, cause it wont feed properly, and since its match I didnt wanna butcher and try tinkering with it. I bought the base wood grain model, I am on order for the socom package? basic. bipod, and some generic scope I believe. I'm disappointed cause my other SA toys perform flawlessly, I even did a 5,000 round prolonged experiment on my XDm 9 which is kept in our house in Colorado, cause XDMs can be bought new here in cali i believe or so my dad said. I put it in mud....sand.....water...etc. I threw it unloaded at a wall. constant dropping, as much abuse as I could. I even ran it over with my 69 maro lard bucket. And it fired happily. Basic 1911 Mil Spec I just out of the box tried to murder it, after about 3000 rounds it finally had one hickup with munitions from Federal. Didnt clear the ejection port all the way.

Tried it also with 1911 Operator short length with light mount. it took my abuse.

So I was kind of hoping for the same performance and ability. But something so random as feeding....for the 3rd shot, killed its play time... yuck.