Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Buy new Z/28 while living in Manhattan, yes or no?

I finally got a deal offered to me for a new Z/28 I want, at the right price, with a good trade in price for my C6 Grand Sport, only a few hundred miles away. The car would not really be driven in Manhattan, only to get in and out of the city. The question is whether I can get the car into my indoor garage where I keep my Corvette and would keep the Z on a lift. And obviously getting in and out of the city on the pitted roads surrounding the city, would be somewhat problematic.

I should also say that prior to receiving the call today accepting the offer I made for the Z/28, I have been in hot pursuit of a 2017 Shelby GT350. I have a very good deal available on an instock car also fairly close to my home. My sense is that the Shelby would be easier to live with given my circumstances, but not quite as visceral or ultimately as satisfying as the Z. But, I am in full ponder mode now as to which way to go.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by NYStockboy; 08-02-2016 at 04:10 PM.
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
I am in NYC (never driving) quite often and can't imagine subjecting my car to those conditions (roads and drivers). However, you are accustomed to driving in those conditions so that likely makes a significant difference.

The Z is going to be much rougher on bad streets than the the 350. I love how visceral it is, but it is super stiff (even w/ out stock tires). Both are great cars. I've seen the 350 in person and it is impressive. However, the Z is the true monster (production) car of our time and perhaps the last of it's kind. Everyone is enamored with the 350 because it's the new hot thing. However, in 10 years I bet that more people will look back on the Z and think "holy shit, that thing was totally bad to the bone in every way" and the 350 will be looked as another cool Mustang. Just my opinion, of course.

Check em both out and see what you think. Keep us posted on your decision. You can't really go wrong either way.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
Both great cars, I've had both and currently have a 2017 GT350. The suspension is more nimble for rough roads on the GT350.
Attached Images

2014 Z/28 Black VIN #176
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorz28 View Post
Both great cars, I've had both and currently have a 2017 GT350. The suspension is more nimble for rough roads on the GT350.

Good looking car. The blue really pops!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Since you already have the Vette, I'd opt for the GT350. I can echo what has been said about the roads in and around the area. They are horrible, not just in and out of Manhatten, but in the area in general. I absolutely hate the drive from South Jersey to Connecticut.......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
If you are going to track a car get the z/28, if not get the GT350. I personally liked the GT350R over both, but was not willing to pay the mark up so I bought the Z/28.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorz28 View Post

Great look'n car!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStockboy View Post
I finally got a deal offered to me for a new Z/28 I want, at the right price, with a good trade in price for my C6 Grand Sport, only a few hundred miles away. The car would not really be driven in Manhattan, only to get in and out of the city. The question is whether I can get the car into my indoor garage where I keep my Corvette and would keep the Z on a lift. And obviously getting in and out of the city on the pitted roads surrounding the city, would be somewhat problematic.

I should also say that prior to receiving the call today accepting the offer I made for the Z/28, I have been in hot pursuit of a 2017 Shelby GT350. I have a very good deal available on an instock car also fairly close to my home. My sense is that the Shelby would be easier to live with given my circumstances, but not quite as visceral or ultimately as satisfying as the Z. But, I am in full ponder mode now as to which way to go.

Thanks,
Ken
Thats a very difficult and enviable position you're in. I've seen and heard them both at the track. Such sweet cars. If it were the 350R It would be an easy decision for me. Are you going to track it? If yes I'd go Z if not I'd go GT.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
No tracking for me. Just a visceral, nasty, beautiful street car crusing about 4000 miles per year on average.
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Lightsaber

Drives: conscientiously
Whether to drive a Z/28 in Manhattan is a personal choice, but if you can drive a C6 Grand Sport there, then you can drive a Z/28 there too.

I have some relatives living around Union Square. I personally greatly enjoy driving in Manhattan because everyone is in a hurry and I can drive quickly like a hoon all day long. There is very little chance being stuck behind an old liberian or slow traffic in general. It's either hoonage or stop-and-go traffic.

I feel whether that's good for the car strongly depends on where you live and where you usually visit. Many neighbourhoods on the island are pretty nice and safe, but there are also neighbourhoods I wouldn't visit purely because of the crash-for-cash crowd and the high probability of drivers on drug/alcohol. Personally I always keep a map of self-parking garages handy, so I don't have to often use valet. For street parking, I'm fine with it. I just have my body shop fixing the bumper paint every two years or so.

At last, I find road hazards much less of an issue in Manhattan, because you are usually behind another car and his sudden movements alert you, as opposed to suburban road hazards which can catch you off guard when driving alone. I also recommend bright fog lights to help you easily see potholes.