Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Top up creak

Does anyone hear similar or had repaired? The creak is pretty annoying and much louder than the video depicts... I seem to think it's coming from the convertibles black plastic mating surface on the rear deck...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvxgq95ibeg
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Yes, but yours sounds worse than mine, Also the noise only happens with the top up, sounds like something is loose in my trunk at first I thought it was something I left in my trunk flying around and making noise, but when I checked nothing. My trunk was empty, lifted up the floor cover and nothing loose that I could find.

I have been lowering my top more lately and the noise just started about 1 week ago and I have a feeling mine will sound like yours in a while. Maybe something is getting loose and will only get worse if I cant locate the source.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Yes, but yours sounds worse than mine, Also the noise only happens with the top up, sounds like something is loose in my trunk at first I thought it was something I left in my trunk flying around and making noise, but when I checked nothing. My trunk was empty, lifted up the floor cover and nothing loose that I could find.

I have been lowering my top more lately and the noise just started about 1 week ago and I have a feeling mine will sound like yours in a while. Maybe something is getting loose and will only get worse if I cant locate the source.
Yep, I have the same type noise of something flying around... sounds like it's coming from the passenger side rear. It seems this sound has decreased some as the creak has increased. The creak started about a month ago at 3700 miles....
Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
EarthToGreg

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
This problem seems to be going on with the coupes as well. Rear passenger side. My car is in the shop right now for it. There supposedly is a service bulletin out regarding the issue.
EarthToGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthToGreg View Post
This problem seems to be going on with the coupes as well. Rear passenger side. My car is in the shop right now for it. There supposedly is a service bulletin out regarding the issue.
Thanks, I've been watching that thread hoping this is something different...time will tell. Good luck, hope it's something simple.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Does anyone hear similar or had repaired? The creak is pretty annoying and much louder than the video depicts... I seem to think it's coming from the convertibles black plastic mating surface on the rear deck...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvxgq95ibeg
Did you ever find out what was causing the creaking? Interesting, recently and only with the top up, I noticed creaking on the passenger side but not loud like yours, but it's there. Sound like it's coming from the top where it meets top lip of the windshield area. I'm going to use some silicone lube on the gasket area and where it latches...going to try to see if that makes any difference.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
Did you ever find out what was causing the creaking? Interesting, recently and only with the top up, I noticed creaking on the passenger side but not loud like yours, but it's there. Sound like it's coming from the top where it meets top lip of the windshield area. I'm going to use some silicone lube on the gasket area and where it latches...going to try to see if that makes any difference.
No, not yet. My noise is coming from the back. It’s worse when the interior is cold (get’s better as car warms). When I have the time, I’m going to remove the back seat cushions, lay a blanket down and be a passenger in the back. I also have an annoying rattle that comes and goes. I’ll figure it out at some point and will post w/ pics.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
FASTNUF

OK, thanks for the update. Mine is definitely from top passenger side where the top mates. I'm going to lube the top front and see what happens. Mine is all of the time now hot or cold, let's see what happens. Other than that, I don't have the rear noise that I've read here and another post.
Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’m getting this on the rear drivers side. Gonna have to get it checked out. Mine is more of a high pitched squeak. Sometimes goes away with lowering then raising the top, but not always. And that is NOT a good solution.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
FASTNUF

OK, finally was able to re-remove the upper plastic trim above the mirror and lube everything. I also had lubed the weatherstrip as well. When I put the top back up, started to give gas and I could hear the creaking again. I grabbed the inside plastic trim on the front of the top and heard it creak. Believe it's coming from there. Makes sense as I don't hear it with top down. I have not found anywhere how to remove it, anyone know how? This is the plastic trim where you can pop off the small square tab and manually crank the lock should you ever need to. The trim spans the entire inside front part of the top.

Of course, if I get some time to try and figure it out, I will post for future ref. Just was hoping someone already has performed this to make it faster / easier and less chance to break something.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
River

Drives: RS
Well, u already know about this thread

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478741

The rattle comes from rear passenger side.

In that thread, op's problem was fixed by some changes to the tonneau mechanism. But the cover is in exact same position regardless of whether the top is up or down. So it cant be the source of the rattle I have.

The problem with finding the source is that you cannot simulate the rattle when the car is not moving.

I have done a search and came up with:

1-Rear passenger seat is loose

2- The exhasut mount underneath makes noises.

And this thread http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513925

Quote:
#PIC6300A: Various Noise Concerns Coming From the Folding Top Assembly - (Sep 20, 2017)

Some customers may have a concern where they hear a noise or various noises coming from the folding top assembly. These noises may be difficult for the servicing technician to isolate.

This PI will provide six common locations for the dealership technicians to inspect for noises specific to the convertible.

Concern #1 Flipper Door / Upper Quarter Trim Panel Area

This may described as a squeak, creak, or buzz type noise coming from behind the driver's head in the rear window area. This may be caused by the "flipper door(s)" rattling when the folding top is "up" or in the "closed" position. To confirm this noise is coming from the flipper door(s), either remove the trim panel as seen in the photo below, or simply open the folding top. These panels are referred to as the Quarter Upper Trim Panels in the Electronic Parts Catalog.

If the noise is narrowed down to the "flipper doors", replace the entire trim panel.

Concern #2 Squeak Noise Coming From The Tonneau Cover Seal

Customers may describe this noise as shoes squeaking on a gym floor. Typically, this noise will only be heard when the vehicle is cold or wet. This noise is caused by the tonneau contacting the body side seal. To diagnose this noise, apply masking tape or spray Superlube to the underside of the tonneau where it meets the molded section of the body side seal and verify that the noise is eliminated. A new seal will be available that is made out of a higher durometer rubber to prevent this noise from occurring. On this new seal, an additional piece of foam rubber is also being added to prevent a wind noise concern. This is normal and this additional piece of foam should not be removed from the new part once it is received.

Concern #3 Rattle Noise From The Center Of The Tonneau Cover

Some customers may comment on a buzz, snap, or rattle noise coming from the center of the tonneau cover area. There may be multiple issues, any of which may cause a similar noise. Be sure to inspect / diagnose all possibilities before assuming that only one issue is causing the customer's concern.

•One area of concern may be the plastic wedge cover that is installed on the center alignment pin of the tonneau cover. This plastic cover may slide or wiggle around, causing this noise. There were 2 styles of wedge covers used on these cars. The first style was a V-shaped plastic wedge cover as seen in the photo below. The second style was a modified V-shaped wedge cover. This second style had 2 flat areas at the top of the "V" that were actually parallel to each other. The first step in this repair is to replace the first style wedge cover with a second style cover. Then, as a second step, before the new plastic wedge cover is actually installed onto the metal post, wrap the post with 1 layer of flocking tape and then install the wedge cover over the tape. This will take up the slight gap and prevent this piece from rattling in the future.

The second area of concern may be the metal receiver that the alignment pin slides into. Remove the receiver from the vehicle, as seen in the photo below, and place it on a flat work surface.

Note: There is no need to completely remove the trim panel from the car in order to remove this metal receiver. Simply pop the trim panel up to release the clips. Then allow it to rest on the rear seat frame. This will allow enough room to remove the two fasteners from the receiver. If any flocking tape is found on the "ears" of the receiver, as indicated by the 2 red arrows in the second photo below, remove the tape and clean any residual glue from these "ears".

Before this receiver is reinstalled into the car, slightly bend the "ears" of the receiver as needed, so that the plastic wedge cover fits into the receiver without any looseness. It is VERY important that the wedge does not bind at all in the receiver, so make sure it is not too tight.

•Make sure the "tabs" of the receiver (where the two fasteners are actually installed) are bent down slightly. This will keep the receiver flat against the sheet metal once it is installed and torqued down. This bend should be about 10° - 15°. It should be slightly bent, down the imaginary line that is drawn between the inner radius of the receiver and the witness marks of the fasteners that hold it in position. See the photo below as a reference of these "tabs".

Concern #4 Ticking Noise From The Tonneau Cover

Some customers may comment on a noise coming from the center of the tonneau cover area that concern #3 does not address. This may be caused by the contact between the tonneau cover center bump stop as seen in the first photo below, and the tonneau cover itself. If this contact is causing a noise, apply a mylar patch (PN 84263959) to the body where this contact occurs. See the second picture below for the location of this patch.

Concern #5 Noise From The Number 1 Bow (Header) Area

A noise may be heard from the header bow area of the folding top. Dealership technicians are to remove the trim panel from the underside of the 1 bow. Depending on the build date, there may or may not be retaining screws holding this trim panel in the car. Once the panel has been removed, technicians are to first inspect for the presence of yellow push pins on the underside of the panel. If all of the push pins on the underside of this panel are black in color, replace them with new clips. The new, updated clips are yellow in color. Next, verify that both flocking tape and foam blocks can be found around the perimeter of this trim panel. The flocking tape should be located on the trailing edge of the panel and must be orientated as seen in the photo below.

Once this has been verified, dealership technicians should also verify that all six foam blocks are present, and are located in the correct areas. The photo below should be used as a guide to verify the blocks are in the correct location. If any of them are missing or damaged, relocate or replace them as needed.

Concern #6

Some customers may comment on a rattle or thump noise from the rear of the vehicle. This noise may originate from the folding top stowage compartment lid linkage. In order to address this noise, open the stowage compartment lid so that the linkage is easily accessible. Lubricate the "fishmouth" portion of the hinge that has been indicated by the red area in the photo below. As with all moving parts, this area may require lubrication periodically.

Note: This noise may be present on either/both sides of the folding top stowage compartment lid. Be sure to lube the hinge on both sides of the vehicle, regardless of where the complaint originates from.
Does anyone know what pictures it reffers to in concern #3 ?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
FASTNUF

Thanks River! It's for sure coming from the inside front of the top #1 bow (piece in black with red looking fasteners), narrowed that down yesterday. Top down, zero noise. Top up, it very noticeable from there. See the attached picture, may try to remove myself first if I have some time. Otherwise, I'll take to the dealer.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
River

Drives: RS
For me the front is quiet. It's only the rear passenger side.

FASTNFUN, will you please send me the link where I can find those diagrams?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
For me the front is quiet. It's only the rear passenger side.

FASTNFUN, will you please send me the link where I can find those diagrams?
Right here. You have to subscribe. Different plans available - https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...100305617.html