Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Florida Company Sued for Defeating Emission Devices

https://fox17online.com/2018/09/24/c...ions-controls/
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
The software would stop catalytic converters, particulate filters.....from working.

So how could a tune do this??????

You have to remove them to make them stop working...
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
The software would stop catalytic converters, particulate filters.....from working.

Short answer, with a diesel you can. Precisely what Volkswagen did that also caused them to get in trouble. I don't drive a diesel so don't particularly care about that part.

This is a better article on the matter.

To me, the bigger impact on the car modding community is they also got dinged for their products that:
Quote:
software enabled the user to remove emission control components that reduce tailpipe emissions, including catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation systems, elements of on-board diagnostic systems, and other elements of design certified by vehicle manufacturers to comply with the Clean Air Act
.i.e. clear codes from cat deletes. Not cool, and likely to impact the industry as a whole...
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Glad for this, hoping they get the whole database and go after the end users as well!
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post

Even in a gasoline car, enough tuning can render a catalytic converter inefficient, while not exactly deactivated, they can be made where they won't be anywhere near peak efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
Glad for this, hoping they get the whole database and go after the end users as well!
Not sure why you're clapping your hands over this, not that I condone what they're doing, but lets face it...everyone on this forum has to a decree violated the EPA laws. If you have longtubes, your car is just as illegal, if you have a tune of ANY kind, illegal. Changed your intake? Illegal.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not sure why you're clapping your hands over this, not that I condone what they're doing, but lets face it...everyone on this forum has to a decree violated the EPA laws. If you have longtubes, your car is just as illegal, if you have a tune of ANY kind, illegal. Changed your intake? Illegal.
Because as a society we need to grow up. It's time... it's actually past time but the sooner the better.

Also, some intakes and exhausts are certified 50 state + CARB legal. So it's not true everything violates laws.

We have incredible cars these days, making your car pollute more to get more power on top of the 455 or 650 hp you already have is not responsible. I've built cars from the ground-up with way too much power... a 240Z w/Ford 302/BW 5-spd, a Chevy p/u w/supercharged 496, a Land Cruiser with a 400+ hp Vortec 350 and more, when people want power it's never enough, it's like a sex addict. I've been there... well, cars with more than reasonable power, never been a sex addict!

It's part of the reason I sold my STi, with port injection and our crappy gas it's just not possible for that motor to make it's rated hp, pass emissions and still be reliable. The engine is garbage and it forces owners to make poor decisions. Most STis have aftermarket tunes because of this, and they often pollute way too much. Stock, a Camry V6 or an ecoboost Escape SUV will give it a run for it's money especially when the ECU decides things aren't perfect and it needs to pull boost /timing. The new cars literally can't run right on 91 octane gas, it results in a very slow car with 0-60 times around 6 seconds.

Have you driven behind a car w/no cats? It's not pleasant!
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Because as a society we need to grow up. It's time... it's actually past time but the sooner the better.

Also, some intakes and exhausts are certified 50 state + CARB legal. So it's not true everything violates laws.

We have incredible cars these days, making your car pollute more to get more power on top of the 455 or 650 hp you already have is not responsible. I've built cars from the ground-up with way too much power... a 240Z w/Ford 302/BW 5-spd, a Chevy p/u w/supercharged 496, a Land Cruiser with a 400+ hp Vortec 350 and more, when people want power it's never enough, it's like a sex addict. I've been there... well, cars with more than reasonable power, never been a sex addict!

It's part of the reason I sold my STi, with port injection and our crappy gas it's just not possible for that motor to make it's rated hp, pass emissions and still be reliable. The engine is garbage and it forces owners to make poor decisions. Most STis have aftermarket tunes because of this, and they often pollute way too much. Stock, a Camry V6 or an ecoboost Escape SUV will give it a run for it's money especially when the ECU decides things aren't perfect and it needs to pull boost /timing. The new cars literally can't run right on 91 octane gas, it results in a very slow car with 0-60 times around 6 seconds.

I feel like you should be directing this discussion to the diesel truck guys that delete all their emissions and turn up their tuners to blow tons of black smoke or "rollin coal" as they like to say. A car without cats and high horsepower is a minuscule emissions issue compared to those trucks.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1

Last edited by FH212; 09-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Its an associated press article reporting on news from 2012. Back then some of the SCT products had settings / options to run without cats.

Have a SCT BDX for my 2018 SS and it has no such settings
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Its an associated press article reporting on news from 2012. Back then some of the SCT products had settings / options to run without cats.

Have a SCT BDX for my 2018 SS and it has no such settings
It's dated today and a quick Google check has no prior publishing

There was something a few years back but I think this is new

This isnt the same AP release https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300718323.html
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

My 17 SS 1LE has longtubes and no cats and there smells just fine behind it. The tune makes or breaks if a catless vehicle produces noxious fumes or not.

It has been said for years that it is possible to get a car to pass emissions without the need of cats, but thats a strong hold the EPA will not even entertain or look into.

I know this 1st hand with the company I work for, the EPA gave us a set of terms and guidelines they wanted us to do. We countered and told them we could meet their guidelines without doing everything they want and not have to pass $1 Billion is costs onto our customers. They didnt care and still forced us to follow their requirements even though is means our customers will pay for it and it puts us in a bad spot of fuel prices ever get out of control as we now dont have a dual fuel source for generating electricity now.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
My 17 SS 1LE has longtubes and no cats and there smells just fine behind it. The tune makes or breaks if a catless vehicle produces noxious fumes or not.

It has been said for years that it is possible to get a car to pass emissions without the need of cats, but thats a strong hold the EPA will not even entertain or look into.

I know this 1st hand with the company I work for, the EPA gave us a set of terms and guidelines they wanted us to do. We countered and told them we could meet their guidelines without doing everything they want and not have to pass $1 Billion is costs onto our customers. They didnt care and still forced us to follow their requirements even though is means our customers will pay for it and it puts us in a bad spot of fuel prices ever get out of control as we now dont have a dual fuel source for generating electricity now.
So you make cars?
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Thanks Obama and Global Warming!!! LOL Here we go with peoples feelings fixing to get hurt.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Thanks Obama and Global Warming!!! LOL Here we go with peoples feelings fixing to get hurt.

Was this satire? Because I know news travels slow to Alabamy, but if you think Obama is still leading the EPA I have news for you...
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote