Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
TommyKing

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Oil Not Draining

My last oil change was about 3 months ago. Everything was fine then. I have driven the car hard since then, taking it from Northern Indiana to Central Florida and back three times. I changed it the day I got back from Florida this last time, since I meant to do it before I left. Out of the six quarts I put in last time only about 2 and 1/2 came out. I put 6 more quarts in it let it idle for about 5 minutes and drained it back out. Only about 4 quarts came out.

I jacked up different parts of the car to try to get all angles. I even got a plastic straw and stuck it in the drain hole and scrapped the bottom of the pan with it. There was no noticeable sludge. I'm not sure what to do, dropping the oil pan won't be possible for a about 4 weeks. But there's around 6 quarts of oil not accounted for in my engine somewhere. Even if it did somehow burn the first missing 3 1/2 quarts there's no way it burnt the last 2 quarts in five minutes. I don't expect for every trace to come out, but this is a bit much.

It's the 2010 LLT engine. I always use full synthetic dexos, brand depends on what's on sale. Oil fill cap is off and oil filter cap is off. There's no engine light on. I did have some problem a few weeks ago where engine power was reduced. Caused by some problem with the throttle body sensor and the traction control sensor. I cleaned the throttle body and cleaned some corrosion off the sensor and it's been fine since then. There was some burnt oil in the throttle body and intake manifold. Not a significant amount though.

Only suggestion I've gotten was to idle the engine to get the rest out, but that sounds like a pretty bad idea. There is no oil on the dip stick. No oil leaks on my driveway anywhere. I don't have the optional gauges so I can't check the pressure.
TommyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Take off the valve covers and see if there is a pool of oil up there
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Don't run the engine until you find the oil. Idle with no oil pressure is destructive. Pull the valve covers like Big said. Be prepared to make a huge mess. Do you have an air compressor? Check to see if your filter looks normal. maybe the galleys are blocked with
junk
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #4
TommyKing

I have an air compressor but it's weak because the tank is cracked. I will pull valve covers tomorrow and see what it looks like. Last time I pulled them to change my timing chain, one side was clean and one was really gunky. I'm not sure what to do if there is a ton of oil in there though. I guess I'll have to pick up a turkey baster.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
I didn't even know that this was a thing. I always just drain, refill, measure. I never thought about measuring the used oil to ensure that all the oil drained out. So, if your dipstick is showing a good measurement, but you're certain that all of the oil didn't drain out, then where in the fool could it be?
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
TommyKing

I pulled the valve covers no oil there. But when I started the car for work it had the sound of liquid pouring and now my oil level is very high. My intake manifold was pretty covered in oil even though I cleaned it out just 5 days ago. The dirty side of the engine is pretty caked with stuff and the PCV valve was clogged. I did what I could to clean things up and drilled out PCV holes to a slightly larger size. Hopefully things work out until I get time to really look at it.

On the up side my timing chains are nice and firm. It's been almost a year since I put them in and it was a cheap set from Autozone that had a broken tentioner after just a couple weeks. But they seem good still.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Check your coolant, does it look normal?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #8
TommyKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I didn't even know that this was a thing. I always just drain, refill, measure. I never thought about measuring the used oil to ensure that all the oil drained out. So, if your dipstick is showing a good measurement, but you're certain that all of the oil didn't drain out, then where in the fool could it be?
My measurement is just when I pour the old stuff into my oil jugs after I empty them. It will never be the same as you put in, but it's normally closer to 4 1/2 or 5 quarts. I have a hard time believing my car made a 3000 mile round trip on 2 quarts of oil with no problems.

I checked my coolant by wiping the reservoir stick on a paper towel. It wasn't the muddy brown that I've experienced from oil in the coolant. But it was a bright pink which is strange. Last time I took the water pump off it was an orangish yellow. A shop did add a small amount of coolant after I had them check the engine out awhile back. But even if they did add the wrong coolant I don't see why it would be such a clear pink. I'm going to look into it more.

[Edit] Drained some of the coolant it looks brand new and is orange.

Last edited by TommyKing; 07-15-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:11 AM   #9
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
My mom drives a 2017 Nissan Sentra and she didn't change the oil for a whole year. Well she brought it to me and when I went to change it and only 1 1/2 quarts came out. It holds
4 1/2 quarts. I was so surprised I couldn't believe the cars oil sensor didn't say anything about it. So I'm assuming that you just burnt all that oil up on your drives because I don't see where else it could be.
DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #10
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
What condition are the spark plugs? My guess is the oil is going through the throttle body.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:11 AM   #11
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
LLT motors are notorious for CONSUMING oil! This is why the timing chains fail.
I run through .5 quarts a week, but I run 1100 miles a week. IF you do not have
any visible oil leaks, your are consuming it. You would smell it if you were actively
burning it due to a head gasket oil to chamber leak. I also found just recently, the
oil pressure sensor was leaking oil out the plug end. That is common in a lot of
cars that use plastic oil sending units, and also with Dodge and GM because they
use the same manufacturer for their oil pressure sensors.

So, no oil, or not a lot of oil comes out the drain plug hole?
Simple test, open the drain plug, and let out what comes out.
Then, pour new oil in, and see if it comes right back out. If it
does, you do not have a return valley issue, at least not on
the clean side.

The PCV system is the main exit for oil. The valve cover IS NOT baffled under the
PCV, and it splashes right out. The updated gasket ads a baffle.

UPDATE your PCV valve! Pull it out, and drill the bottom holes out to 5/64" and
drill the top hole out to 7/64" to 9/64" at most.
https://youtu.be/wCV1KMrX4uI
That video applies to the 10-11 Camaro LLT engine as well, and 2012 LFX.
Not sure when in 2012 the part was updated.

If you have oil in the intake before the TB, then you have too much pressure in the
crank case, which is why the update to the PCV is needed, and GM updated the
part in 2012 with the bigger holes. The bottom holes clog up because they are
too small. One of mine was completely clogged up. After drilling the new holes,
I stopped leaking oil out the valve cover corners and VVT solenoid seals. THere
is also a TSB on using a dab of sealant on those front corners when changing
the valve cover gaskets.

Common oil leaks are:
VVT Solenoid Seals
Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve covers, front corners
Oil filer housing gasket
High miles; valve stem seals

https://youtu.be/7YaZLY91HD0
That video ALSO applies to the Camaro LLT engine.

Install a catch can on the PCV side, and you will see how much oil passes
through there. I also installed a breather catch in place of the oil cap, and
I have NO more oil in the clean side hoses or in the intake tube to the TB
unit. I did before, I do not now!

That small filter NEVER has oil in the medium. All bone dry now.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:19 AM   #12
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
This is what that oil does to your intake valves:

That is Cylinder #6, looks wet? Yes, leaky valve stem seals.

Cylinder #4:

Not as wet as #6.

While the rest of them are not as wet as #6, #4 is the one that has the hardest
deposits on it. They're all just as bad as far as looks go....
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote