Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Question OBD2 Port Splitter Product Question

So I have a CarLock Device for the live GPS/alarm that’s currently utilizing the OBD2 port but I have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge that also needs the OBD2 port, so I was looking into buying an OBD2 splitter to run dual ports and retain both systems. I’ve seen a few on a quick internet search:
Name:  39522881-EC68-4454-BD4C-FC59476F97FC.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  133.6 KB

I know they are relatively cheap priced $10-15 on Amazon, but I was just wondering a few things:
  1. If anyone else has purchased and used any of these products?
  2. Is one better than the other?
  3. Is there an alternative way to run two devices simultaneously using the OBD2?
Opinions/recommendations welcome, TYIA!

BUILD STATUS: LOADING BOOST . . .
BatmaroBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
I installed one on my VWs, and it worked fine. You can use two READING devices,
or one read only, and one that can write. I was able to use an OBDII dongle while
still being able to read codes and do diagnostics. None are really, better, than the
other one, it's the longevity of the cable and plug.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
I installed one on my VWs, and it worked fine. You can use two READING devices,
or one read only, and one that can write. I was able to use an OBDII dongle while
still being able to read codes and do diagnostics. None are really, better, than the
other one, it's the longevity of the cable and plug.
I wonder if this would allow me to still use my window down module AND add something like dashlogic
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
I read this a while ago:

Easy answer: One at a time

The OBD-II port can’t be split or have a hub like USB. It’s just not designed for that sort of thing. The OBD-II system was originally designed for mechanics to connect to a car’s computer, and nothing else. For many years that’s all it did, until computer technology got cheap enough so that regular folks could use the port as well.

If you want to connect that heads-up display, you’ll need to disconnect that GPS tracker that some other cell phone company suggested you use. Or, you’ll have to disconnect the dongle your insurance company put there claiming it would save you money. Bottom line you can only use one OBD-II device at the same time.

There are some cables that claim to be OBD splitters. The problem is they are not reliable and don’t always work the way you expect. It’s best not to seek out one of these splitter cables. Instead, just use one device at a time.

I found that not to be true. I was using one of those fuel/tuner OBDII dongles, and I
was still able to plug in a code reader and have it work.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
I read this a while ago:
Easy answer: One at a time
There are some cables that claim to be OBD splitters. The problem is they are not reliable and don’t always work the way you expect. It’s best not to seek out one of these splitter cables. Instead, just use one device at a time.

I found that not to be true. I was using one of those fuel/tuner OBDII dongles, and I was still able to plug in a code reader and have it work.
Well, I’ll find out shortly which is true lol after your first comment stating they’re basically all the same.. I just went with the Amazon’s choice dongle, which just shipped today so once it arrives I can confirm whether the $15 spent was just wasted money or if it actually runs both components simultaneously..

Old 07-21-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I'd just wire in another connector IMO. You can buy the pins and connector online fairly cheap.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
Any update?
Interested to know what you think?
Thanks
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC69 View Post
Any update?
Interested to know what you think?
Thanks
I received the package from Amazon with the BBfly-B4 OBDII Y Cable Splitter Extension. Product appears good quality construction and high grade material. I can’t vouch whether or not it fully works as advertised yet since I’m still waiting on my car to be finished at the shop getting water meth injection kit and a dyno tune. I’ve attached some photos of the item though. The cable is just shy of 12 inches in length. I like the flat low profile look that should help make it less of an eye sore. Haven’t gotten a definite date of when I’ll be getting the car back yet but I’ll update whether it works as soon as I do.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
DRC69

Drives: 2011 RS 2LT
Looks cool.
Thanks for the update.
Thx
DRC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Thumbs up INSTALLED: WORKS GREAT!

So I finally got my car back and was able to plug and play with this. Plugged right up to my CarLock device and the Aeroforce Interceptor OBD2 ports. Tucked them inside the wire panel and all works as it should! I’m sure I can position the wires to be a bit more hidden with adhesive but it doesn’t really bother me much as is.
Attached Images