Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
DSX Triple Fuel Pump Assembly

I've been assisting DSX with some testing of their new triple pump assembly and I think I've got all the bugs worked out. Most of which were self inflicted. If you frequent the FI section I'm sure you've seen my posts where I've been struggling with return style fuel system related issues. None of these issues were actually related to the DSX assembly, yet to my inexperience plumbing my own return system. First I had breaker issues with Summits crappy relays only running for 30 seconds at a time. I'd suggest a different brand. Then I had mis-aligned orings due to improper install.

Either way, I think I have my own bugs worked out and thought I would provide the community with another big horsepower option for fueling. I dont think DSX is a sponsor on this forum, so my apologies to the guys who are. I will add that this is not a kit. At least not yet. This makes options like AGP/Fore/Squash still a good choice for those who arent capable or dont want to piece together their own system.

I had some struggles with the DSX Aux fuel pump kit. At the power I wanted to make and boost I wanted to run, on a centri, on straight E, I was seeing fuel pressure drop. This was maxing out my FIC 1300cc injectors. After speaking with DSX, it was apparent that an Auxiliary pump wasn't enough.
It was time for a real fuel system.

I'll upload some photos so you guys can see it for yourselves and explain what NOT to do, and what made my life easier with the install.

I also want to add that I am not a dsx nut swinger. I still think given the price (especially with a discount) the AGP dual fuel system that uses the Fore hat is an excellent buy. It's proven, its a kit, and people make over 1100whp on stock fuel rails. However I have heard some people running without baskets have issues when fuel level gets low.

No matter what I do, my pics always come out tilted 90 degrees left. What am I doing wrong here?
Attached Images

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
eLeSthree

The first picture of HPTuners is after the Triples, and the pressure drop pic is from the aux kit.

The biggest mistake I made during install was removing the hat to install the Fuel level sensor for the arm. DSX machined in a nice door with a screw for me to use, but I missed that somehow. When reinstalling the hat i buggered the o rings. I would highly suggest you use the silver door option.

It comes with a new plastic connector for the level sensor. You simply remove the wires from the old connector, and slide them into the new one. It also uses these two hat hoses that once connected slide down the side of the fuel tank so you can make your connections down there. I'm not entirely sure if I like them or hate them yet. I had to loosen the fuel tank strap on the passenger side to wiggle them in.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 02-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Big Biscuits

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3
That is a damn nice pump setup! I wish my Fore had a basket, but not too worried about it being a fun weekend car.
Big Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I think the pictures autorotate to the landscape view. Try turning you phone when you take the pictures and see if that works better.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I think the pictures autorotate to the landscape view. Try turning you phone when you take the pictures and see if that works better.
Yea then they all wind up upside down like mine lol
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
eLeSthree

The forum has a width x height requirement i think.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It will always put the pictures in with the longest edge going left-to-right. Just crop the images so they flip the other way, or if you want to maintain everything, just add a border in Paint or similar. Examples below. Simplest way is to just figure out which way you need to hold your phone so it will do it right.

Also, badass fuel setup. That new WOT log looks a lot more right and righteous than the old one.
Attached Images

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
Blakester

Drives: 2010 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
The first picture of HPTuners is after the Triples, and the pressure drop pic is from the aux kit.
I thought when you use an aftermarket pump assembly you lose the ability to log fuel pressure and use of the fpcm?
Blakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakester View Post
I thought when you use an aftermarket pump assembly you lose the ability to log fuel pressure and use of the fpcm?
A lot of information on the internet is old. Check the dates on the threads you read. I'm not sure when it took effect, but with HPTuners you can now edit the FPCM/FSCM. It costs $50 (1 credit) If you are still using the stock or zl1 pump, you can control fuel pressure with the FPCM and see FP reading in logs as usual. Even if you are using an Auxiliary style (inline) helper fuel pump.

Or, if you are using aftermarket pumps like these or Fore or Squash or AGP, you can retain the FPCM/FSCM and relocate the stock Fuel Pressure gauge somewhere in the feed side of the plumbing (ideally in the FPR). In order to do this, you have to use HPtuners, go into the FPCM tune and shut off a bunch of codes. Because there is nothing plugged into the stock fuel pump harness. Your aftermarket system has its own power/ground supply. (not the stock fuel pump harness)

And you can tap into the White/Green wire on the FPCM harness for your primary fuel pump relay trigger wire (not pink). So when you turn the key on, it primes the fuel pump, and keeps voltage going while the car is running. If you crash the car, the green/white wire will also kill power to the pumps, which is nice if you dont like being burned alive. AND, you can edit the Prime time, which is normally 2 seconds. I increased mine to 4 seconds, since my plumbing is so much larger I'd prefer it have a little more time to come up to pressure before I start the car.

(if you use the pink wire, any time the key is in ACC position the fuel pump will run constantly) Imagine sitting in car with it off, just listening to the radio.... pump running constant.

AND another good thing about keeping the Fuel pressure readings is the way you can tune the car. If the computer doesn't know your fuel pressure you must Flatline the Injector Flow Rate vs Fuel Pressure table. Some people may disagree but I think you get better control of injectors knowing your fuel pressure.

The big problem was stock pumps are PWM Pulse width Modulated. Meaning the computer could increase/decrease voltage to achieve desired fuel pressure. Well aftermarket pumps are not PWM. They are either ON or OFF. You use a mechanical pressure regulator to control fuel pressure, not voltage.

So if you try to use the FPCM harness, and it decides to lower the FP's duty cycle, the aftermarket pump will freak out, and shut off. HOWEVER, you can also no change the Duty cycle settings in the FPCM to 99% at all times.

So companies out there right now are figuring out how to retain the factory fuel pump control module and HARNESS to feed aftermarket pumps inside possibly the stock bucket.

I believe the company called ADM has had some success with this.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 03-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #10
eLeSthree

My fpcm is only doing 2 things.

1. Supplying me with the signal to prime/run the aftermarket pump (just the primary one)
2. Supplying me with a fuel pressure reading.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 03-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #11
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
In real world testing you have to be SUPER low on fuel to notice any difference with a canister. Like down to the last two gallons. The shape of the camaro5 tank focuses all the fuel to very close to the pump pick up. It's mostly an imagined problem. If you are at 1/8 tank, the pump pick up is in several inches of fuel and doesn't miss a beat.

I'd like to know in a big power E85 car when using fuel at 1000+lph rate. After a few seconds when you have used up the fuel in the canister, how is it re-filling the canister faster than 1000+lph? Syphons don't flow nearly enough. In other systems this has been a problem solved by taking the canister off.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
In real world testing you have to be SUPER low on fuel to notice any difference with a canister. Like down to the last two gallons. The shape of the camaro5 tank focuses all the fuel to very close to the pump pick up. It's mostly an imagined problem. If you are at 1/8 tank, the pump pick up is in several inches of fuel and doesn't miss a beat.

I'd like to know in a big power E85 car when using fuel at 1000+lph rate. After a few seconds when you have used up the fuel in the canister, how is it re-filling the canister faster than 1000+lph? Syphons don't flow nearly enough. In other systems this has been a problem solved by taking the canister off.
I dont recall if i pictured them, but there are 3 1/2 inch umbrella valves on the bottom of the basket that work as one way valves. Pulling fuel in and trapping it inside the basket. Along with the jet syphon, it seems to be working. I dont make quite 1000+, more like 940ish but spinning the blower eats up a bunch of fuel also. Ive made at least 20 test pulls, and 1 1/4 mile pass without dropping fuel pressure.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 03-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What trap door kit are you using???
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
What trap door kit are you using???
I bought it from jegs for $50.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"