Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Cooper Tires

Last week a buddy and i were looking at a container of Cooper tires being unloaded at a distributor, i took a RS3 with gusto just to realize that the RS3 line is now being made in china while the Cobras are made in Mexico. I always supported Cooper as they were THE american tire company still making tires in the US but i guess it is no longer the case; the question is whether part of the Mickey Thompson line will also be outsourced. So is it better to give our money to a foreign company making tires in the US or an american company having tires made overseas?
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Wave of the future.
The old boarder in me bought some classic American Van's shoes.....shipoed direct from China.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I remember when we called Japanese products junk.
Now they are the good stuff.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
have been running cooper zeon RS3 tires for a year now with no problems.its hard to find quality stuff made in the USA at a reasonable price.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
0stones0

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
+1
Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
My issue comes from the fact that price has not changed according to labor costs, IPhones are made in China and although i personally do not purchase said phones i do agree that the quality is not poor. I am 33 and since i can remember Japanese products were regarded as higher quality than even some of our domestic products, hell the best TVs currently are made in Korea. Every tire manufacturer has an entry level line that is made affordable to be able to compete with the influx of imported tires, i however did not see Cooper changing their manufacturing of current lines overseas as running a separate line/brand would of been the more appropriate move to keep their customers as in the market THAT was the reason why some folks chose Cooper over a similar or lower priced brand. Interesting fact since someone mentioned Japan is that Toyo/Nitto tires tend to be built in Japan or US. I just wanted to let you good folks know since it may open or close options for next tire purchase. Looks like i will be going with BFG once my Nittos wear out.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
If they hold up as well as prior tires, I don't care where they are made. Sad to see more American jobs lost. But, the reality is fact....American made (regardless of quality) will cost you more. Go figure.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I had cooper tires before and they were the worst. Over a period of 3 years, I constantly had to fill the tires monthly because they would leak air. I had 2 tires replaced (at a cost to me) and they continued to leak. Pepboys said it was my rims... 3 years later after dumping the tires with a different brand, same rims.. no leaks.

joe...
Old 07-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Last week a buddy and i were looking at a container of Cooper tires being unloaded at a distributor, i took a RS3 with gusto just to realize that the RS3 line is now being made in china while the Cobras are made in Mexico. I always supported Cooper as they were THE american tire company still making tires in the US but i guess it is no longer the case; the question is whether part of the Mickey Thompson line will also be outsourced. So is it better to give our money to a foreign company making tires in the US or an american company having tires made overseas?
I guess there is really no more "us" and "them" being it is now a Global market.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I guess there is really no more "us" and "them" being it is now a Global market.
Your so correct! For the past week I have been surfing the internet, visiting Stealerships and local parts stores looking for a good set of TPMS sensors. I found several AC Delco sensors, some from China, some from Mexico and a couple for some other far off nation! So mind boggling to say the least.