Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #15
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
I'm running a whipple with 10psi. 160 tstat. 1 quart of water wetter in the cooling system. A/C on i don't go above 200 and am also around 180 driving down the road. My headers aren't even ceramic coated. 574whp my fans are always on i believe, they tuned it that way. Conservative tune but stock cooking system other than that tstat and water wetter. Stock internals
Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
Vegas Bound

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
114° here today and temp never got past 200°. But it is a dry heat.
TBD 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #17
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
What the majority doesn’t realize is, when you run a 416 or 427 strokes engine, first you are simply moving more air per revolution. This alone equals more heat. Two the rod ratio goes down. My 427 has about a 1.49 rod ratio which there is substantially more side thrust from the piston against the cylinder wall. Alone with other factors as well. So, when someone with a stock displacement 374 inch motor says it stays cool. Of course it does, Chevy made sure the 6.2 liter would cool pretty much regardless. So if that’s what you have good on you but it’s easier to cool an engine with 54 cubic inches less displacement when compared to a 427. It matters. All these factors are relevant but I makes power and it makes torque in greater amounts all things being equal . Like anything here is a trade off .
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
I missed the part where it was larger displacement
Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
First post - ‘416 with all the goodies’

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Juiced1

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We have a few radiator upgrade options. Make sure you grab a 160 degree thermostat first. I would also have your tuner check your fan temps and make sure they are coming on earlier then stock and like mentioned above make sure you don't have air in your line. Any air in the cooling system will cause problems.
We carry and install all the hottest brands for your Camaro! Get awesome deals on Corsa, Borla, Solo, ARH, SW, Whipple, Kooks, Procharger, Vararam, CAI, Roto-Fab, Texas Speed, ATI, ACS and much more! Call us for your CAMARO5/CAMARO6 Forum discount today! 224-63-JUICE
1820 PRODUCTION DR STE D ST CHARLES IL 60174
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I'm also on the stock radiator and fans and displacement.

In Florida its about 90 degrees and I run the AC full time. Never gets over 210.

Have you tried to burp the coolant system? Sounds like you may have air trapped in the system.
The shop did all the work, right? Trust, but verify!

Burping the system wont take much effort at all. Open the coolant reservoir or radiator cap (which ever is higher) and run the car until it gets hot enough for the thermostat to open. You should see the water flowing, and if there is air trapped, the reservoir tank will empty. Fill it to FULL and let it keep running until it stays full.

Its FREE! I would check this first.
ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #22
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
yep, so here's the updated as of earlier this morning:

Going to burp coolant tonight - I absolutely agree with "trust but verify"

Talked again with the shop, and they're going to adjust fan temps to come on earlier - I believe they kick on @ 203 currently, not sure where that relates to stock, but this thing hasn't been stock in a long while, only the blower is the recent mod

if the burping and fan temp settings don't adjust, we're going to look into other options, but they seem pretty confident that the fan temp settings should help.

I guess I'll keep this updated as things progress. Dropping at the shop on the 29th for the smaller pulley and dyno tune, so hopefully I have positive news the following day!!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
yep, so here's the updated as of earlier this morning:

Going to burp coolant tonight - I absolutely agree with "trust but verify"

Talked again with the shop, and they're going to adjust fan temps to come on earlier - I believe they kick on @ 203 currently, not sure where that relates to stock, but this thing hasn't been stock in a long while, only the blower is the recent mod

if the burping and fan temp settings don't adjust, we're going to look into other options, but they seem pretty confident that the fan temp settings should help.

I guess I'll keep this updated as things progress. Dropping at the shop on the 29th for the smaller pulley and dyno tune, so hopefully I have positive news the following day!!
My fan temp settings are stock and they look like this. If you fan is only running when you hit 203 degrees, something is wrong. It should spin at 50% power when you hit 192, than ramp up.
Attached Images

ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
hazy

Oh good to know on the fan settings - perhaps I have a fan that's gone out? I don't know, but will ask the tuner to check on that. Haven't seen the tables, and prob woudln't even know what I'm looking at anyhow hahaha

Brief update - burped the radiator last night, and definitely had some pockets of air in there. Didn't take a ton of coolant to replace, but I did top everything off and the ride in this morning was a bit better, though still seeing the issue.

I'm wondering if the low-speed fan is operable...not sure how to test/check this, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and dropping the car on the day I return, so not gonna worry about it at this point.

I'll keep yall updated, thanks so much for being this helpful!!!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
hazy

Alright good update here! Shop got the new pulley on and she's definitely laying down some powaa.

Heat issue has been identified- my passenger side fan is inoperable, so we anticipate that once I have full capacity with the fans, I should be squared away. All connectors were checked, and the fan was tested w no relays or fuses in the way- just pulled the connector off the motors and tested them direct.

Will report back once that's repaired, hopefully soon!
Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #26
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I`ll ask the opinion of the masses here also. What do most consider the max temp they are comfortable with for a LS motor? I see fairly new corvettes running 230-235. So I`m wondering when most people get nervous about engine temp.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #27
hazy

First a quick update: got the new fans in today and I dropped it in. The plastic kinda marred up the intercooler piping a bit, but its done. Positive indicators on the test drive, but the commute to work tomorrow will tell the truth.

Unrivaled: I don't know the answer, but I'd say that an ideal temp is probably south of 220 or 225, but I can't really speak to what is unsafely high. I will say that once a long time ago I got a warning at something like 240 and the DIC said "cool this mfer down right now, and turn the ac off" so perhaps 230+ is territory to be avoided for extended periods?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
hazy

final update! new fans worked! Drove into the office today using AC for the first time this summer...what a relief!!