Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-22-2022, 03:29 AM   #1
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
The Source of My Anger Issues (WARNING: Long Post)

I figured I would share this story with all of you since it's finally sorted. Its long-winded so be warned.

I just finished the speed density tuning on the car and everything was looking great. AFR was around 13 at peak power, it idled great despite the cam, drivability was almost perfect with no bucking, etc.

I went to work Friday night a week ago and drove the car. When I got off I went to the gas station (Sheetz) to fill it up. I usually like Sheetz because their tanks have a high turnover rate and it gives me confidence that the water content would be nonexistent. The pump I pulled up to had the E15 handle bagged off but the E85 handle and the 87, 89, and 93 handle were still open. I grabbed the black handle, hit 93, and started pumping. I filled it up and starting driving home and that is when I started having issues.

The car was running super lean according to my wideband. I was showing 14-15 AFR at WOT. I immediately pulled over, loaded an older tune into the car since this new tune was only a day old, and started a log before I took off again. Same issue, extremely lean. At idle AFR was 20-22 before the STFTs maxed out at +25 and made it idle at 15-16 AFR. I thought at first it was the gas since I just got it, maybe it had water in it but I wasn't getting any knock or misfires. I was just lean. I babied the car home and parked it.

I originally assumed a vacuum leak. My log showed good fuel pressure, spark, no misfires, no check engine lights, etc. I checked all the intake lines and couldn't find anything. I had the intake manifold off about a month earlier to install a Motion Raceworks steam line kit and I thought that maybe the intake had loosened or cracked. I loosened the intake and started to retorque it but two of the bolts wouldn't take torque. Luckily, I used my better judgement and pulled the bolts to see that they were stretching at the 89 in-lbs torque spec. (Shitty TTY powdered bolts with no strength specs). I ran around town all day trying to find 6mm bolts long enough to get the car back on the road. ARP bolts were supposedly backordered until August. I couldn't find anything long enough. I accepted defeat, went home and tried to get 2 hours of sleep before my next 12 hour shift at work.

After two more nights of working I was off all week and could dig into the car again. I ordered ICT Billet intake bolts, gaskets, etc and planned to get this thing running. I reinstalled the intake after careful inspection, put new gaskets on everything, and started the car again. Same issue.

I then thought about the injectors. My wideband is on the drivers side header collector and I thought maybe an injector on that side had gave out. So I swapped the injectors to the passenger side and tried to see if that would remedy the issue and tell me I needed new ones but nope. Still dangerously lean.

I posted the issue on the HP tuners forum to see if anyone had advice. I told them my log showed good fuel pressure but they informed me that the fuel pressure PID isn't real and recommended the fuel pump was probably on its way out. I ordered a gauge that would screw into the schrader valve to read my actualy fuel pressure at the rails (I still haven't got it yet, its supposed to be here 5/25/22). But I still popped the schrader valve to see that the flow was great.

I finally said it can't be anything else but the gas. I blamed my car first because this thing is constantly being modified and I figured I made a mistake along the way. Regardless, I popped the fuel lines and pumped a graduated cylinder full of gas and waited.

Turns out, I got 80% ethanol. I was livid. $80 worth of gas just about killed this thing. It explained why I was getting the lean condition without the knock. I pumped the tank down as far as I could get which was a little less than 1/4 tank and went to another station and filled it with good 93. The car instantly started running better although I was probably still at a elevated level of ethanol and would have to dilute it as I filled up more and more.

So as it turns out, these cars can compensate for quite a bit of ethanol at idle, just not WOT. I would venture to say that these cars could completely compensate for E15 if need be and be just fine.

Still can't get ahold of Sheetz customer service to get a refund for my almost $100 dollar purchase of bad gas. Funny, they don't even publish the CS number on their website. I'm still pissed.

Name:  IMG_9569.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  71.9 KB
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Call the state weight and inspection office. I had a similar thing happen in PA and I called the weight and inspection office because the station blew me off. State tore them down and forced them to repair the problem. It was top Star Express in PA, they have a reputation selling bad gas water etc in the fuel. They laughed at me when I called, I doubt they are laughing any more. The state had that one station shut down for days testing and repairing things. Friend of mine had a bad experience with Sheets, filled up and the car barely ran. Of course they blew him off denying anything wrong with their fuel. He.s never used them since.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:31 AM   #3
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Call the state weight and inspection office. I had a similar thing happen in PA and I called the weight and inspection office because the station blew me off. State tore them down and forced them to repair the problem. It was top Star Express in PA, they have a reputation selling bad gas water etc in the fuel. They laughed at me when I called, I doubt they are laughing any more. The state had that one station shut down for days testing and repairing things. Friend of mine had a bad experience with Sheets, filled up and the car barely ran. Of course they blew him off denying anything wrong with their fuel. He.s never used them since.
Never again for me. I used them a lot for my 700hp Duramax because water is such a big deal for its injection pump and never had any issues so I kept going there. Not anymore.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Man, that's a pretty crappy issue. Sorry to hear that on a highly modded (expensive!) car. I'd be curious if you get anything out of the weights and measures people too.