Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Cop shoots teen holding Wii controller

If everything checks out with this story, I don't even know where to begin. I simply can't stand the American police force. I know there are some good officers, but there are far too many bad ones. Pathetic. Maybe we need to give these cops an IQ test before handing them a gun?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1619842
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
True that.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Even if he had a gun,which is possible in this situation when answering the door and the person is not identifying themselves,there is the possibility that this was a rookie officer who was already nervous serving a warrant and freaked out,even if it wasn't a firearm he was holding.I'm not making any judgement call here,but I would like to say that Police forces should consider getting more military people that have been trained better,ROE were very clear and I think we could identify true threats much better and respond with the right actions,not trigger happy or easily freaked out.It seems like it has become to easy for an officer to say I feared for my life and opened fire without assessing the situation properly or even retreating to a safe location first,I know it's not always that easy,you don't want a real threat to get an easy shot,but that's why you wear your vest and use tactics to your advantage,not blasting people with an excuse of fear and getting away with it!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
Even if he had a gun,which is possible in this situation when answering the door and the person is not identifying themselves,there is the possibility that this was a rookie officer who was already nervous serving a warrant and freaked out,even if it wasn't a firearm he was holding.I'm not making any judgement call here,but I would like to say that Police forces should consider getting more military people that have been trained better,ROE were very clear and I think we could identify true threats much better and respond with the right actions,not trigger happy or easily freaked out.It seems like it has become to easy for an officer to say I feared for my life and opened fire without assessing the situation properly or even retreating to a safe location first,I know it's not always that easy,you don't want a real threat to get an easy shot,but that's why you wear your vest and use tactics to your advantage,not blasting people with an excuse of fear and getting away with it!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Notice24 View Post
If everything checks out with this story, I don't even know where to begin. I simply can't stand the American police force. I know there are some good officers, but there are far too many bad ones. Pathetic. Maybe we need to give these cops an IQ test before handing them a gun?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1619842
Couldn't agree more!!!!! I posted this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366806 and a mod thought he was GOD and could sensor my thread and closed it because he didn't like what the cop did. I let it go, but............!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
This is absolutely disgusting. Regardless of whether or not it was an accident she needs to serve some serious time.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Couldn't agree more!!!!! I posted this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366806 and a mod thought he was GOD and could sensor my thread and closed it because he didn't like what the cop did. I let it go, but............!
There's a difference between an accidental shooting and purposely hitting someone.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
This is also a contradicting story. Was it a Wii controller or BB gun? If it was a BB gun I see the reasoning in shooting him.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Dlerch18

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Are any of you on here law enforcement? Unjustified police shootings are a terrible reality and they do happen quite often. Regardless of your training or your background you can't prepare for every situation. People see these stories and start saying things as above about "better training" "looking for good cover" so on and so forth. The real life scenarios don't go anything like your training!!! Sometimes in certain situations your only true cover is a "lead wall" and that's a fact. Now as far as this situation, who really knows the true story....2 people essentially and 1 is deceased unfortunately! Figure out all the facts before making your judgments.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Seems fishy. If it was really a BB gun, you'd think this wouldn't be a point of contradiction. How would that not be confirmed at the scene? What, did the father go run and hide the BB gun that the kid would have dropped? Wouldn't there have been an investigation with a confirmation of a BB gun? And if this information is not available, maybe the media should STFU about it. Either way, "the police asserted" is not evidence of what happened.

A side note of something else that bothers me, is that if it had been a civilian shooting a police officer under these circumstances, that name and picture would have been all over the news already.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
There are also peripherals for the wii's shooter games that would make it appear like a gun. Though it would clearly still look like a toy.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
What's up with all of the cop-hating threads lately? Geez folks, seems some are on some sort of sick witch-hunt.

Nobody knows what truly happened here and the story is completely told/guided by the media.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
The police don't "get" military people. Everyone who wants a job applies for it. There are no headhunters calling me. Why don't more military people apply? I'd guess the guys that carry guns have shot enough people for the love of their country that they could use a lifetime away from that kind of violence. The ones that don't carry guns probably figure they should use the skills they developed in their respective fields, which rarely includes criminal justice.

If you want to attract prior military to civilian law enforcement, a good start would be to stop cutting their pay and benefits. When it comes to feeding my family, I feel a lot safer in the military, even with all the cuts, than I do with any civilian job, including law enforcement.

The police make a lot of sacrifices that go completely ignored by their neighbors. Instead of respect, they find themselves fighting for pay that hasn't changed in a long time or getting less equipment than required because they can't afford what they need, be it training, weapons, ammo, or safety gear, to do their jobs. This turns some of them into salty cops, but they're still doing their best to keep the community clean.

As for the article, I want to point out that, over the last few years, I have seen a huge surge in pseudo-journalism posted on heavily biased blogs. Journalists can conceal sources or make them up. Unless a story is corroborated by several sources owned by different media companies, I generally disregard most of the content.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 07-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The police don't "get" military people. Everyone who wants a job applies for it. There are no headhunters calling me. Why don't more military people apply? I'd guess the guys that carry guns have shot enough people for the love of their country that they could use a lifetime away from that kind of violence. The ones that don't carry guns probably figure they should use the skills they developed in their respective fields, which rarely includes criminal justice.

If you want to attract prior military to civilian law enforcement, a good start would be to stop cutting their pay and benefits. When it comes to feeding my family, I feel a lot safer in the military, even with all the cuts, than I do with any civilian job, including law enforcement.

The police make a lot of sacrifices that go completely ignored by their neighbors. Instead of respect, they find themselves fighting for pay that hasn't changed in a long time or getting less equipment than required because they can't afford what they need, be it training, weapons, ammo, or safety gear, to do their jobs. This turns some of them into salty cops, but they're still doing their best to keep the community clean.
I'm sorry, when it comes to life and death, "doing your best" is no longer acceptable. Cops are out of control. Here's another story about our "police". They killed a man for no reason. Pathetic. It is murder and they should be charged accordingly. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1871486
Closed Thread