Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-26-2022, 07:28 PM   #1
BB-2010

Drives: 2SS RS Transformers Edition
DRL To Fog Lighting Help

I've been digging through the forum, and I've found a lot of helpful info, but not exactly what I'm looking for. These questions are probably answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find those answers.
I was able to finally find, and purchase, a 2010 2SS RS Transformers Edition Camaro last year. Since then, I've been researching what I wanted to do to personalize this car.
I purchased RGBW Halo, Demon Eyes, and Fog Lights from Diode Dynamics. My issue is that the fog lights I purchased are 5202, my current DRLs are P13W, which I found out after my purchase. Does anyone know what I will need to switch from RS to non-RS DRL/Fog lights...... light housings, Bezels, harness, etc? The 5202 bulbs seem to be way easier to find, and customize, then the P13Ws.
Also, I purchased the Hero Harness for night time DRLs, but has anyone made a single harness that will allow for the DRL/Fogs and the Halos to be on at all times, without having a switch? Thanks for any info, and I'm loving my "NEW" used car!!!!
Attached Images

BB-2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Wannaz2

Drives: None
Get ahold of gen5diy. They are very helpful, as I have bought a custom harness from them, and am very happy. I called and told them what I was looking for, and they were able to build a harness for exactly what I wanted.
Wannaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
I have Diode Dynamic's Halo and Demon Eyes installed. They each have their own (Bluetooth) controller, so I can change the color of the halos separately from the demon eyes.

For the Halos, the controller is powered from two different sources at the factory bumper plug - one red wire from the controller is tied into the DRL's and the other red wire goes to the Parking Lights. With that setup, the halos will always remain on during the day and at night. The only way to turn them off is to turn the lights off using the dial on the dash board.

For the Demon Eyes, the controller is powered by the Parking Lights. The blue wire from the RBGW driver is tied into the low beam wire (which also stays hot when the highbeams are on). The blue wire will shutoff the Demon Eye while the regular head lights are on to prevent the demon eye from overheating.

Unfortunately, I cannot really provide any advice on the DRL/fog light bulbs. I replaced mine with T4 ports and Eagle T's. However, I did get the VA-legal DRL Harness (Part# 200070) from gen5diy. This harness keeps the DRL's on all the time, but will shut them off when the high beams are on (which is also a law here in PA). Although you don't have to, I ran the power for the harness to a switch in the cabin. Otherwise, the harness comes with an add-a-fuse to plug into the fuse block under the hood. With the switch, I am able to turn off the DRL/fogs when the headlights are on. I made all of the connections from the controllers/lights into the gen5diy harness, as I figured that would be a lot easier to replace if something went horribly wrong.

Here's a picture from my installation. The Bluetooth controller and driver are tucked along the frame where the bumper brace connects to the car (the other controller above the radiator is for the grill lights). I made a wire harness to run along the bumper brace to get to the driver's side, and then zip tied the rest of the wires to help keep it under control.

Name:  2021-04-08 17.20.36.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  237.2 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
BB-2010

Cool, I'll definitely look back at this when I install the LED boards. I sent a message to gen5diy, waiting for a response. Being that it is the weekend, I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow. Thanks for the tips, always appreciated!
Old 03-27-2022, 11:34 PM   #5
Bee

Yeah, I'm sure gen5diy will get back to you tomorrow. I looked up the Hero Harness and that will definitely keep your DRL's on all the time...no switches required. Gen5diy also makes a harness to use the halos as DRL's, which I had originally ordered with the VA-legal DRL harness...but once I got into the wiring I realized the halo harness wasn't needed because the current version of Diode Dynamics controller that comes in their RBGW halo kit can accept power from two sources. Some older YouTube videos I found on installing the halos only had one power source (which was tied into the parking lights) and lead me to think an additional harness was needed for the halos to always be on too.

The only thing that won't work is the 5202 bulbs, as they are for non-RS Camaro's. Instead, you may want to go with something like these:

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...s-led-p13w.htm

I think they will match the color of the factory headlights and coupled with the Hero harness, will always be on day/night.

BTW...congrats on your "new" car!

Old 03-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
BB-2010

Thanks for the help guys! I spoke with gen5, they are not able to make a harness, but directed me to the non-RS Fog Light harness, and housings. I thought this might be an option, but I wasn't sure about the harness compatibility. I will probably still need a Halo harness, but gotta wait a few weeks on that purchase. Thanks again guys!
Old 03-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #7
Bee

I still think it is going to be easier for you in the long run to exchange the 5202 bulbs for the P13W's. If you bought the 5202 bulbs from Diode Dynamics, I'm sure they would let you exchange them for the 'RS' version...especially if you're in that 30-day window.

If you were looking to have fully functioning fog lights, I would say keep on going, but the DRL's are also controlled by the BCM so things start to get tricky with the wiring and how they get power. Since you are looking to have the DRL's and halos on all the time, then you are pretty much there once you get the P13W's. The Hero harness will keep the DRL's on all the time and the Diode Dynamics Halos can be wired to stay on all the time as well.

Just to elaborate some more on the halo wiring, I found a picture I took while testing the new halos before I zip tied everything up. If you look in the halo kit, (I think its the male side) of the grey plug should have two red wires and one black. The two connections circled below are tied into both the parking lights and DRL wires. I grounded the black wire to the bolt that holds in the horn. Because the halos have two separate power sources, they will come on when power is at either one...so no additional harness is needed.

Name:  halo wiring.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  189.0 KB

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you still have any questions.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
BB-2010

Ordered some P13W LEDs from Amazon, decent reviews. Guess I'll find out how long they last, but as of now, they look great! I'll have to carve out some time to get the Demon Eyes and Halo boards installed, but it's amazing how one little upgrade can make such a difference, at least in the owner's eyes.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2022, 04:22 AM   #9
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I've had my Amazon jdm P13W's lol, for a year now with no problems.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
Bee

Looks great!!