Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
brhea21

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Yes I was, that should be drive train. Not sure if TSBS are considered warranty or not though.
Thats what the dealership is saying. Cause its a TSB its not covered. Makes no sense to me. Thanks again for the info
brhea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhea21 View Post
Question for you. Were you still under the 3 year 36k waranty? Or had that already expired?
If it is backlash that should be drive train for sure under warranty.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhea21 View Post
Thats what the dealership is saying. Cause its a TSB its not covered. Makes no sense to me. Thanks again for the info
Just for reference, TSBs are generally information to the dealers and in cases we read about are usually common problems and repair solutions. They are not extended warranties or recalls. You warranty status is completely independent of a TSB.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
SJP

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Black
Just had the rear different fluid changed, along with the mechanic going through the figure 8 process to resolve the whine. Dealer didn't bat and eye when I brought it in. Now to be clear, I may still barely within the 3/36...but the service writer specifically mentioned that the powertrain warranty is 5/100k and would cover it regardless.
SJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Agreed. I had the issues under warranty. 3 flushes and some figure eights and road time in between drains and all good. It should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Try another dealer or contact Chevrolet. It is a known issue with a easy fix.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #20
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
The diff is part of the drivetrain, this should be covered under that warranty TSB or not.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #21
brhea21

Thanks for the opinions guys. I went to another dealer about 20 min down the road. Their service dept was closed but I spoke to the general manager and he said no worries. He knew what I was talking about and said there would no charge for this issue. Its sad how all the dealers cant be so good. Thanks again!!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
brhea21

Just concluded my experience with the dealership. Thanks very much for the help GM. Dealer did the rear end flush drive procedure all covered under warranty. Everything was great. Best experience Ive had at a dealer to date. Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #23
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
Living that issue right now. After interviewing 3 dealers to get comfortable with one to do my SC change, I had the low speed, full steering noise checked out too. Got a call saying SC was done but rear end was a maintenance procedure, fluids only per TSB and not covered. $650 would get it done. If I had bad gears, the whole thing would have been covered but since it was fluid and process only, that was their offer. I escalated to GM, also had a GM guy on FB ZL1 Exclusive open an employee care case for me. After discussing for over a week, just got call from dealer yesterday saying they would do it for $100. I am out of 3/36 by a few months and have the extended warranty but since I am out of 3/36, that is the best they could do. Appreciative of the $550 savings but too bad they couldn't just handle it and keep the customer happy. Up until that point, I was thrilled about the care and handling and was ready to write a nice letter thanking the Service Manager and Advisor for the superb service. For $100, I am tired of fighting and said just do it. They will do the full 3x fill/warm/figure 8s/drain routine. 9k miles on the thing.
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #24
brhea21

That is a huge discount. BUT, just because its a fluid doesnt make it not covered. It was a defective process from the factory. In the powertrain, which is still under waranty. The factory fluid is the issue, therefore should not be your problem. Kinda the way my service manager explained it to me after GM talked to them.

Im still waiting for my supercharger to start making noises. Stupid thing is alwasy quiet.

Good luck on yours!
Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #25
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver

Drive train issues should be covered on a stock ZL1 for 5 years / 100,000 miles (60,000 on newer cars). PERIOD.

My ZL1 was out of bumper to bumper. I had the cold temp rear end noise and my supercharger was rattling at around 30,000 miles. Car was 39 months old. Both are TSB (AKA Technical Service Bulletin) issues. A TSB means it is a known issue with a GM approved fix.

Both my issues were fixed under warranty with no argument. I was given a rental car during the time. IT COST ME $0. The supercharger was a full replace and the rear end they did the fluid change which was a fill, figure 8 and drain repeated 3 times. They said if the noise came back the next step was to replace the whole differential. (Again under warranty.)

Damn dealers GM has are horrible. No consistency and customer service. I called around on oil changes and the price difference is crazy. One dealer it was $130, another $100 and one was $70. All for the same thing. Even the one with $70 they never charge the same price each time and I have to show them the receipt for the last one to get it priced correctly.

Honestly dealer service is the biggest challenge I have with owning a Chevy.

My wife's Toyota dealership is head and shoulders above every Chevy dealer I have been to. They ever release a car to equal a Camaro or Corvette I would strongly consider a switch just to avoid the aggravation of dealing with Chevy dealers.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #26
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
My car is in the shop as of this morning for the Differential groan. I was told it is completely covered under warranty. They also found that i had a bad front strut which will be replaced under the "Certified Warranty" no charge to me except for the front end alignment.
2012 ZL1 38K miles
Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I had my fluid changed at my local dealer recently and it was about $225. The first time was the same problem as the OP. It was covered through warranty and they did the whole figure 8 and drive for 20 mins like earlier posted. I would think it should be covered and that dealer is just being an ass. Go somewhere else.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #28
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
Got my car back on Friday and everything seems fine (SC change-out, ventilation system sanitize, oil/filter change and rear-end TSB). I paid for the oil change and vent clean plus the $100 + tax (for the TSB piece) and went on my way grudgingly. Surprisingly got a call from GM today, checking in on my satisfaction and I told them thanks but said the $100 was an irritation on principle. I was offered a 36-month, 4-use oil change and tire-rotation package for free to cover the irritation. Mentioned no need for the rotation and that this was no regular oil change (synthetic, extra quarts) but she said she would make it happen. I will keep an eye on my mailbox and keep everyone posted. . . .
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote