Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Not always. For the most part, North American designs are limited to the US/Canada. GMT-based trucks are almost NA exclusive, Lambdas are NA exclusive, a few American designs (CTS, Corvette) are sold in other countries, but for the most part, GM NA designs cars for North America only.

However, there are exceptions...

The Pontiac G8 is nothing more than a rebadged Holden Commodore imported from Australia.

The Saturn Vue, Saturn Astra, and Saturn Sky all have Opel counterparts, the Opel Antara, Opel Astra, and Opel GT.

Buick in the US and Buick in China will be sharing product in the future. For example, the Buick Regal in China, a rebadged Opel Insignia, will be brought stateside as the Buick Regal here.

Chevrolet's becoming a global brand, so expect to see Asian-designed Chevrolets on US soil soon, such as the upcoming Chevy Spark.
The Vue and Astra are Opel designs the Vue is built over here but the Astra is built in Austria and imported.
The Sky of course is an American design and imported Over in Europe as the Opel GT and in Korea as the Daewoo G2X all are built in Whilmington Del.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
GM Insider Reported that the Camaro would never be put in production right after GM said that they were putting the Camaro in production in 08, CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT GM INSIDER SAYS???????????????? NOoo

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
GM Insider Reported that the Camaro would never be put in production right after GM said that they were putting the Camaro in production in 08, CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT GM INSIDER SAYS???????????????? NOoo
Maybe change the name?

'The GM Guesser'
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
GMI also reported that the Buick Regal would be brought stateside from China.

In a few weeks, GM approved the Regal for NA.

Not to mention that a few people in the upper echelons of GM management know of us and apparently frequent the site...case in point, Mark LaNeve, Bob Lutz...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
GMI also reported that the Buick Regal would be brought stateside from China.

In a few weeks, GM approved the Regal for NA.

Not to mention that a few people in the upper echelons of GM management know of us and apparently frequent the site...case in point, Mark LaNeve, Bob Lutz...
Maybe Camaro5 should buy GM Insider's website and merge the forums since we have the superior inside informants.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Maybe Camaro5 should buy GM Insider's website and merge the forums since we have the superior inside informants.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Quote:
Not always. For the most part, North American designs are limited to the US/Canada. GMT-based trucks are almost NA exclusive, Lambdas are NA exclusive, a few American designs (CTS, Corvette) are sold in other countries, but for the most part, GM NA designs cars for North America only.

However, there are exceptions...

The Pontiac G8 is nothing more than a rebadged Holden Commodore imported from Australia.

The Saturn Vue, Saturn Astra, and Saturn Sky all have Opel counterparts, the Opel Antara, Opel Astra, and Opel GT.

Buick in the US and Buick in China will be sharing product in the future. For example, the Buick Regal in China, a rebadged Opel Insignia, will be brought stateside as the Buick Regal here.

Chevrolet's becoming a global brand, so expect to see Asian-designed Chevrolets on US soil soon, such as the upcoming Chevy Spark.
So from this I hope all of those people saying "buy american" really are not. There really is no "big three" anymore. The big three have their fingers on other makers. Ford-mazda, jaquar, ford europe. GM-Opel, Saturn, Holden, Saab, Vauxhall. Dodge-Mercedes, ..........
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:

The Sky is a wonderful car. That car should be redesigned as badged as a Chevy Stingray for heritage and style. Shoehorn the LLT in there for a performance V6.
I'm all for that! I love the Sky way more then the Solstice!
I think i would get Mallet to drop a nice LS3 and 6L80E or something, in it!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I think this is a good thing. For GM to really be able to market its cars well and right-size itself for the new market conditions, it really needs to be down to pretty much Chevrolet and Cadillac. A mainstream and luxury brand is simply the easiest way to go to have clear market shares and differentiation. I understand keeping the BPG channel just because it is so expensive to kill a brand, but when cash flow improves it might be a good idea to cut them too.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Wow. Daewoo? I didn't even know that still existed. And what the heck is a Vauxhall?
here's a couple pics for ya...
the first is an '04 GTO.
the second is an '04 Vauxhall Monaro VXR.
the third is an Opel Speedster.
Attached Images

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
^ Right, the Holden Monaro was re-badged as a Vauxhall Monaro, and it was also sold as Opel I believe before it came stateside in 04 branded as the Pontiac GTO.

And the Opel Speedster is, was basically the pre-courser to the present day kappa platform that the Solstice, Sky are based off of...

Speaking of kappa's those too sadly won't be seeing the light of day in a couple years... :(

Only car from Saturn that I would ever consider owning would be a Saturn Sky Redline. But that's just the enthusiast in me speaking....

Thing with Saturn is that it competes with Chevy, and Pontiac hardcore. The only thing Saturn was good for was re-shaping the way most people thought of GM products especially in the service department. Have to admit from owning one Saturn their service was a lot friendlier and easier than all the Chevy's and Chevy dealers that i've been to. But that's personal experience mostly.

I personally won't be sad to see Saturn go, if Pontiac goes though then I'll be sad....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #26
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Saturn dealers are known for being GM's best. Now the trick is simply to replicate that service at Chevy and Cadillac dealers. Difficult to do given franchise laws.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
As long as the Sky stays as something else, most of the Saturn's are rebadged Chevy's or Pontiacs.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #28
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
Quote:
The Sky is a wonderful car. That car should be redesigned as badged as a Chevy Stingray for heritage and style. Shoehorn the LLT in there for a performance V6.
Correct. I want a rebadged Sky the way you mentioned, plus a hardtop version of it. Do it, GM.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote