Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
BigDave23

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Advice needed on finding headroom

Hello all - with the red tag deals that some dealers have been applying to Z28's, this amazing vehicle is suddenly within my budget for a track car. Of course, like many of you, there's no way I will fit in the stock seat with a helmet on.

Right now, my head rubs the headliner when sitting in the stock Recaro in a comfortable/safe driving position, so I need to find at least 2 - 3 inches of headroom to safely accommodate a helmet before I can think about "pulling the trigger" on a new Z28 for myself. If you've changed seats in your Z28 (or any 5th gen Camaro) and gotten an additional 2+ inches in headroom, please post the basic details of your setup...I'm open to any solution at this point that doesn't involve gutting the interior or cutting off the roof.

Thanks very much and Happy Holidays!!!

-Dave
BigDave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
99frc

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Remove a couple of vertebrae? I would do that to have a Z28. Lol!
99frc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Read this thread. Sweet build with Sparco seats. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382176
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
2-3" is quite a bit of room to gain, and it won't happen with traditional race seats, especially with the sliders.

Have you heard of Marrad LX1 seats? These seats from Arizen racing have bulging bottoms that lay between the slider/mount assembly, adding 1-2" headroom to whatever can be achieved with traditional race seats. If you're firm on your headroom goals, I think this will be the way to go.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MLX1L
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
BigDave23

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
2-3" is quite a bit of room to gain, and it won't happen with traditional race seats, especially with the sliders.

Have you heard of Marrad LX1 seats? These seats from Arizen racing have bulging bottoms that lay between the slider/mount assembly, adding 1-2" headroom to whatever can be achieved with traditional race seats.
I hadn't heard of this seat. If its bulging bottom can accommodate my bulging bottom (I'm 6'4" and 325 lbs) then we might have a winner. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Have you tried telescoping out the steering wheel as far as possible?....It does come out some. For me it was enough to recline the seat and still reach the wheel. Not enough to sit up on the wheel as much as I'd like, but enough to gain some headroom.....

EDIT...Ooops....I don't have Recaros on my SS....stock seats....not sure if Recaros recline at all....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
BigDave23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Have you tried telescoping out the steering wheel as far as possible?....It does come out some. For me it was enough to recline the seat and still reach the wheel. Not enough to sit up on the wheel as much as I'd like, but enough to gain some headroom.....

EDIT...Ooops....I don't have Recaros on my SS....stock seats....not sure if Recaros recline at all....
With my build I have to telescope the wheel as far out as it will go to fit in just about any car. BTW - the Z28 Recaros do recline but I can only go so far back before I can't safely reach the wheel for track driving.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
X25

Regarding seats with bulging bottom: my experience is actually with another brand. I've used Bride VIOS III on my Miata, which has the same idea as that Marrad seat, and they're the first ones to come out with the idea as far as I've heard. The difference is that Bride seats are made in Japan, and apparently they did not consider people from any other nation besides Japan for their use, since it really is incredibly tight! After having a very sore butt after a trip to a race track, I ended up selling the seats despite the amazing headroom they provided.

The bottom part of the seat goes down between the slider and the seat bracket to gain the much needed room:

Another pic from the side:

Since the Bride seats are for people with very small/tight waist, I did not recommend them even though they're pretty good quality. I've not tried Marrad's LX1 myself, but it follows the same idea, and there are members at CorvetteForum who have been happily using them. They also have the XL version of this seat, which should accommodate much larger body builds, and it fits into Camaro. I was about to install this seat, but then decided to give the Recaros one last chance.

The problem will be the brackets. The planted brand bracket that most people use has a cross member, which will likely either block the slider's operation, or prevent installation of the seat altogether. If you insist on that bracket, that bracket will need to be cut. You can actually very easily make that cross member follow the floor, but it would require fabrication. I was going to do this and also write a how-to (measurements/specs), but I just hate messing with airbag systems of cars, which is why I'm sticking with Recaros for the time being. Besides, I'm 5'10", and I was merely doing this to increase side support and reduce my sitting height, which feels like an SUV compared with my Miata's.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 11-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Big Dave, Dealing with the same issue with my ZL1 and Cobra seats. I am using the Planted brackets which do not help at all. I am presently trying to come up with a custom bracket to replace the Planted ones. Lower the seat by 2-3 inches for headroom. If you want headroom you're going to have to find a good fabricator to make it happen. You'll need a replacement resistors for the driver and passenger airbag system to eliminate the service airbag warning icon that shows up upon startup. I am subscribing to this thread in case you find a solution before I do.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
BigDave23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Big Dave, Dealing with the same issue with my ZL1 and Cobra seats. I am using the Planted brackets which do not help at all. I am presently trying to come up with a custom bracket to replace the Planted ones. Lower the seat by 2-3 inches for headroom. If you want headroom you're going to have to find a good fabricator to make it happen. You'll need a replacement resistors for the driver and passenger airbag system to eliminate the service airbag warning icon that shows up upon startup. I am subscribing to this thread in case you find a solution before I do.
If I end up buying a Z28, I'm only planning on replacing the driver's seat which should keep the airbag issue on the simpler side. Thanks for letting me know I can cross the Planted brackets off my research list.

I noticed that you're in SoCal like me - I know a good race mechanic with a shop in Marina Del Rey who should be able to tackle any fabrication challenge. Is it just a matter of fabricating a low-profile bracket to mount to existing studs/holes in the floor pan, or will it take a bunch of cutting/drilling/welding modification to the floor pan itself to make this work? Having an adjustable seat would be nice, but I could live with a fixed position if that's the only viable solution. I'll update this thread with whatever I learn...
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave23 View Post
If I end up buying a Z28, I'm only planning on replacing the driver's seat which should keep the airbag issue on the simpler side. Thanks for letting me know I can cross the Planted brackets off my research list.

I noticed that you're in SoCal like me - I know a good race mechanic with a shop in Marina Del Rey who should be able to tackle any fabrication challenge. Is it just a matter of fabricating a low-profile bracket to mount to existing studs/holes in the floor pan, or will it take a bunch of cutting/drilling/welding modification to the floor pan itself to make this work? Having an adjustable seat would be nice, but I could live with a fixed position if that's the only viable solution. I'll update this thread with whatever I learn...
Again, a seat with bulging bottom design will easily let you use sliders. With a regular race seat, your best bet will probably be bolting it directly.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
KIRKEY Intermediate 15º Layback Road Race Seat

Comes in 4 different hip widths.

I was 6'4" 230lbs when I bought one to install in a mazda 3 for track days.

I picked up a used stock seat from the wreckers and had the shop mount custom brackets to those rails.

I was sitting easily 3" lower and best of all, using the stock rails, it all plugged in. The seatbelt minder and the Seat position sensor so my airbags would work. i also wasn;t violating any local laws because I did not alter the safety system of the car.

They only offer black covers now but at the time they came in blue and red.

It was a sweet seat. Hands down better than any Sparco - Bride or Recaro.
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave23 View Post
Hello all - with the red tag deals that some dealers have been applying to Z28's, this amazing vehicle is suddenly within my budget for a track car. Of course, like many of you, there's no way I will fit in the stock seat with a helmet on.

Right now, my head rubs the headliner when sitting in the stock Recaro in a comfortable/safe driving position, so I need to find at least 2 - 3 inches of headroom to safely accommodate a helmet before I can think about "pulling the trigger" on a new Z28 for myself. If you've changed seats in your Z28 (or any 5th gen Camaro) and gotten an additional 2+ inches in headroom, please post the basic details of your setup...I'm open to any solution at this point that doesn't involve gutting the interior or cutting off the roof.

Thanks very much and Happy Holidays!!!

-Dave
Dave, I'm 6'7" and 315lbs. This worked out great for me. Custom Fabbed Seat mount and the XL Vesion of the Racetech Seat. Some minor trimming of the inside bolster to fit.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415670
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
BigDave23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
KIRKEY Intermediate 15º Layback Road Race Seat

Comes in 4 different hip widths.

I was 6'4" 230lbs when I bought one to install in a mazda 3 for track days.

I picked up a used stock seat from the wreckers and had the shop mount custom brackets to those rails.

I was sitting easily 3" lower and best of all, using the stock rails, it all plugged in. The seatbelt minder and the Seat position sensor so my airbags would work. i also wasn;t violating any local laws because I did not alter the safety system of the car.

They only offer black covers now but at the time they came in blue and red.

It was a sweet seat. Hands down better than any Sparco - Bride or Recaro.
Thanks for the info. I drove a Corvette at the track several years ago with a Kirkey and I remember it being comfortable. I know their covers are pretty thin - how was the comfort on longer trips? It's a 200 mile trip to the track I go to most often so long-drive survivability is important.