Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
1st road tip in the 1LE

Taking the 1LE on it's 1st real road trip other than bringing it back from Akron.
Leaving Friday afternoon from Stewartstown, Pa & heading down to Myrtle Beach. It only has about 1600 miles because I just don't have time to use it. Just wondering if any body has any tips for this long of a trip. Any one with Recaro's find them uncomfortable?
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
ilir14

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
i would get a spare tire other than that you're good to go these seats are very comfortable i took couple of 400 miles road trips and love the seats
ilir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Just took mine on its maiden voyage to Clearwater from Atlanta.. really fun toying with all the minions on the interstate.. hard to keep it under 90mph... be careful...don't want a blue light special! Be very careful in South Carolina! They love out of state plates!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Don't speed in Virginia.

Second, don't get a spare tire, just get a good plug kit (you already have a compressor). I haven't used a spare tire in 20 years and there's no need to. A compressor and a plug kit are all that are needed for 99% of tire punctures.

Also, don't speed in Virginia. At all.

Fill up your tires to 40 PSI before the trip, it will help with the tramlining on the highway and reduce fatigue. It will also improve fuel economy and reduce tire wear, but the big bit is the tramlining.

And lastly, don't speed in Virginia.

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
97tj-neil

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS, RS, 1LE
All kidding aside, the only thing I would add is... don't speed in Virginia.

If you are looking for a good tire plug kit, I have had great success with this one. Far better than the cheapies available at Pep Boys.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1085-...o+tire+plugger

.............2015 1SS/RS/1LE....................2010 Silverado Crew Cab Z71...........1997 Wrangler TJ.........
97tj-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
SgtRock

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 1967 RS
Clear Body Panel protectant

One think to consider(I discovered after the fact) is the clear plastic rock guard on the lower rear quarters in front of the wheels. I went on an 8500 mile Rt. 66 road trip last year and my 2013 2ss 1LE was pelted with road debris. The area on the rear quarters in front of the wheels has white pits showing up now. Redoing the clearcoat in that area is not an option. Just a thought.
SgtRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
I've learned not to speed in Virginia via this thread. Another shout out to the Camaro5 community and Billy. Thanks.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
gto mark

Thanks for the Virginia tip, every other time we have been in a Ridgeline, it just blends into the scenery. I actually picked up my GM rock guard kit this morning, I plan to install tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Don't speed in Virginia.

Second, don't get a spare tire, just get a good plug kit (you already have a compressor). I haven't used a spare tire in 20 years and there's no need to. A compressor and a plug kit are all that are needed for 99% of tire punctures.

Also, don't speed in Virginia. At all.

Fill up your tires to 40 PSI before the trip, it will help with the tramlining on the highway and reduce fatigue. It will also improve fuel economy and reduce tire wear, but the big bit is the tramlining.

And lastly, don't speed in Virginia.

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
Great tip Billy! I have plugged my own tires for years. I never thought about just keeping a plug kit in the car, i will be doing this.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
If my road trip was an indicator, you won't be able to speed in Virginia anyhow.... because most drivers there like to sit in the left lane and just pace the car to their right, rather than actually passing.

10 hours each way, and my car did very well on the trip. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
In my experience, the Recaro's are even better than the standard seats for road trips. I've driven 700 miles in a day in the Recaro's w/o pain or soreness issues.

Rock Guards are good. PPF is nice to have.

RE: Virginia; if you use a radar detector, stash it away while in VA, as they are illegal to use there.

Have a good trip!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post

[/url]
I've never had any issues with long rides in the Camaro. In my experience, if you are comfortable in day to day driving, long drives won't be much different.

Getting off topic:

After reading this numerous times in other topics, I actually tried it with the Stock Goodyears (for about a 3 week period in varying conditions). And aside from a noticeably rougher ride, it did not affect the tramlining.

I think this issue is more tire/tread related than it is pressure related. I've had 285's on my Silverado and hardly ever have this issue and the Toyo's I just put on the Camaro for winter usage also don't have this issue.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I've never had any issues with long rides in the Camaro. In my experience, if you are comfortable in day to day driving, long drives won't be much different.

Getting off topic:

After reading this numerous times in other topics, I actually tried it with the Stock Goodyears (for about a 3 week period in varying conditions). And aside from a noticeably rougher ride, it did not affect the tramlining.

I think this issue is more tire/tread related than it is pressure related. I've had 285's on my Silverado and hardly ever have this issue and the Toyo's I just put on the Camaro for winter usage also don't have this issue.
The difference is massive on same tires with just pressure differences alone. The difference between 32 PSI and 40PSI is night/day with regards to tramlining. Then again, I'm on absolutely horrific roads that force my car all over the road at 32 PSI, you might be on smoother roads.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
gto mark

Update: the car performed great on the drive down, 22.5 mpg ave on the display, the Recaro's were plenty comfy. One pit stop for fuel in Empoia Va. Best part so far is having it to cruise around in at the beach.