Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
chrislhardin
Kalel7

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 Victory Red
Oracle HID Ballasts...piece of junk

I've had my Camaro for 6 months and a few months ago, I put in the Oracle HID kit from AAC Style. First off, I had a bad ballast, so I paid for a replacement and I sent the bad one back but I never received a refund for that one. A week ago my right headlight ballast went out and just yesterday my left foglight ballast went out. I have one headlight and one fog left. What the hell are these people selling??? Can anyone point me to some quality HID parts? The bad thing here is that I modified my nose to put the Hella projectors in so the original foglights won't go back on...

I've had many other problems with AAC Style before regarding quality. These parts are just complete crap? Can anyone help me?
chrislhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Ive had the same first impression as you. My led foglights didnt match the headlight bulbs when I was told they would. Also my led foglights have started to fail, a few led rows have went out in each light. Warranty is nice to have, but not something that I want to deal with all the time.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
chrislhardin
Kalel7

Warranty? I never got my first ballast replaced by them. I sent it back and never received a credit. I put my Halogen bulbs back in today. Gonna put the kit on EBay and just let someone else deal with it. As far as my fog lights, I may never get them fixed since putting in the ones from AAC is irreversible. I'll never buy their crap again.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
AAC

I'm not here to rant how great aac but I LOVE their products ha!
LED REVERSE LAMPS-are sweet. I had a problem with the right side but their is definatley something loose in the bulb rattling around. They sent me a replacement right away.

LED Fog Lamps-are sweet. My fogs went thru several hands to get completed but they are working great.

LED Sidemarker lamps. It's the most popular item on my car that has gotten the most compliments.

Now something will probably burn out since I'm bragging but I love AAC style products
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Tx1Lt
Mark it ZERO!

Drives: '10 Black Camaro
I'll come and rant in here if my switchback LEDs don't work. We shall see... I ordered them last Tuesday and with the holidays and weekend they should ship tomorrow. Finally.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
decepticon

Drives: 2010 camaro
I ordered color changing headlights and hid fogs then decided to return them and get rims first. An employee at a bodyshop told me that aac's hid lights apparently caught on fire while someone was driving before..
decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
chrislhardin
Kalel7

yeah, I am not going to do anything with AAC again at all... I do need help from someone though to get my foglights fixed. The installers followed the instructions from AAC Style and they cut off the fog light housing from the nose so that the Hella projectors could be strapped onto the back. Now that one of the foglights has gone out, I have no clue what to do... I wish I could just go back to the originals, but it's too late... I wish I could get my money back for everything I bought from them...
Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
There are times when OEM is good. This sounds like one of those times. The problem with aftermarket is so many of these things are developed to get to market quick with popularity of a new model that there is very little time for bench testing or beta runs with a few control groups. They are mass made, many out of country, with POOR quality control. The company may market them but not manufacture them in house. Sad deal for you bad deal for their name and profit line. It won't take long for them to sink with products like this on the market and this group reviewing them. Sorry for your woes.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Sorry to hear you are having a problem but have you tried to contact AAC about the issue from what I understand they are real good in getting replacement parts to people if this happened late last week I am sure a delay in a response will happen because of the Holiday weekend. I would suggest 1st contacting them and waiting for an answer before coming on the forum and bashing them. Maybe they had a bad batch of parts, maybe it was installed incorrect?? Give the vendor a chance before knocking them in public. If they cannot fix your issue via email or phone calls then post you issues here but give them a chance Justin and his crew are a great bunch of people.

Sean
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
chrislhardin
Kalel7

did you read the post? I went through contacting them before. I bought a new ballast and then sent the defective one back and I never got refunded for it. I called many times and emailed. I just gave up. Like the other guy said, even if they responded immediately and you have a great warranty, you don't want to be using it all the time. Also, since the foglights are incredibly difficult to get to and replace, you don't want to be working 3-4 hours doing this 2 or 3 times a year to replace defective merchandise.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
chrislhardin
Kalel7

I've had other problems before with AAC as well. The ballast I never got reimbursed for was just the last thing. I have a laundry list of other items that they made that didn't work or were crap...namely the CCFL tube ballasts...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I had somewhat of the same issue as you. I put on just the AAC HID kit (no halos) and I had a ballast go out within 2 wks. I didn't like the fact that I either had to send them in or buy a new one but is seems to be a industry standard with warranty. Then I figured what happened to you would happen to me so I just put the Halogen bulbs back in and mailed in the ballast. I did recieve a new ballast within a week.

Then about 6 mths later the same side ballast went out again. I had to do the same thing....put Halogens back and mail off the ballast. Again, a week later I got my ballast. The problem is now I don't trust the parts. I'm afraid I'll be out some day and they ballast will go out an I'll get a ticket for no headlight. Now I keep the Halogen bulbs with me in the car since I can go back to Halogen in about 10 mins.

I've decided that I'm going to go with a true projector HID from www.TheRetroFitSource.com. I can still use my AAC ballasts but I'm thinking about getting rid of it all and just use parts from TRS. I'll be doing a DIY/Review once I'm done.

I had also purchased some 5202 fog light bulbs from AAC. Those were complete CRAP! They broke in my hand as I was installing them. When I called they basically told me that once I unwrapped them they were mine....$100 down the drain instantly.

I would never cut my car for any part that I couldn't put back the OEM stuff. Unfortunately you'll probably have to end up getting a new front nose eventually.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 11-29-2010 at 01:50 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Looking at the website Retro Fit Source they look like they carry quality products. How do you just purchase H13 bulbs and ballasts from them though they have a bunch of other stuff that I dont need.
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
I'm sorry to hear all the problems with AAC's products.

My LED fogs work great and their customer service is A+ in my book. They took the time to answer my questions and address my concerns about installation.

Interested to hear AAC's side...
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hid oracle