Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
BLACK ACE

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS M6
My wife was driving thru a parking lot and the trunk opened on it's own. Obviously the key was in the ignition, and nothing even close enough to hit button in door. Possibly stray signal? Maybe trunk not latched completely? Will be keeping an eye out.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I wonder if the 2012-2013 trunk relay is a different part number than the 2010 original. If it is im sure this problem was fixed and would be a super easy swap from GMPartshosue for next to nothing.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Looks like I'll have to pull both relays and get the numbers off of them tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Update: For what it's worth, the same problem has persisted almost across the entire product line with the unintentional trunk release - it wasn't only our Camaros that had the problem. It exists on the Cruze, LaCrosse, Malibu and a few other models between 2009-2013.

The problem is mainly due to the remote key design and compounded by the fact that only one press of the release button opens the trunk. So, GM has provided a fix for the affected models by dealer-installing, under warranty, a two-shot trunk release relay. Anyone with those affected models that have the problem can get to the dealer for a free fix.

GM has also decided that future production models (2014) will incorporate a programming that requires TWO presses of the trunk release button to open the trunk.

Apparently, GM didn't see the Camaro as a problem as much as the Cruze or LaCrosse.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
mine has done this a few times now..
thought it was me..
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #34
Bama_SIM_Cam
QuickSilver

Drives: LS SIM Stick
My Trunk Release Issue Seems Tied To Low Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNVenom View Post
Update: For what it's worth, the same problem has persisted almost across the entire product line with the unintentional trunk release - it wasn't only our Camaros that had the problem. It exists on the Cruze, LaCrosse, Malibu and a few other models between 2009-2013.

The problem is mainly due to the remote key design and compounded by the fact that only one press of the release button opens the trunk. So, GM has provided a fix for the affected models by dealer-installing, under warranty, a two-shot trunk release relay. Anyone with those affected models that have the problem can get to the dealer for a free fix.

GM has also decided that future production models (2014) will incorporate a programming that requires TWO presses of the trunk release button to open the trunk.

Apparently, GM didn't see the Camaro as a problem as much as the Cruze or LaCrosse.

When my 2010 5th Gen LS was 4 years old, my trunk started opening randomly. I ruled out accidentally hitting the key fob but was concerned the relay was "failing open" on low voltage from my 4 year old OEM battery. I replaced the battery and the chronic, daily problem immediately went away. It is a poor design to release the trunk on low voltage so I don't know if mine is "special" in some way but nevertheless, that is the way mine seems to work.

I was worried about the trunk opening randomly or on low voltage so I bought a Casper Electronics "double shot" relay that plugs in as a one-for-one replacement for the original relay. As of June 2018 it is still available and is$40.75 with free shipping. Mine has worked fine for four years. It has never opened on "one shot" for the last 4 years. I have zero connection with the company except as a customer. But their relay worked for me. :-)

http://www.casperselectronics.com/ca...product_id=746

This morning when I went to open my trunk, it unexpectedly opened on only one press of the in car release button. I tested it several times with my key fob and the door release, one shot every time from both places.

Coincidentally, my Advance Auto replacement car battery is now 4 years old. I suspected the battery voltage was just low enough to let the first relay "fail open" but the double shot relay did its job and prevented the trunk from releasing until the key fob or door release was hit a second time. Of course, it could be a failure of the "double shot" relay but that seemed less likely to me based on my experience when the OEM battery was beginning to show its age. I drove the car on an errand about 3 miles and when I got out and tested the trunk the "double shot" worked like it should. I think charging the slightly low battery from the trip was enough to make the relay behave normally.

So, I am going to have a new battery put in tomorrow and I will see if the trunk release goes back to its normal "double shot" behavior. The Advance Auto warranty is for 3 years so I am not too disappointed in getting 4 years out of it and 4 years out of the OEM battery. The Camaro takes a lot of juice to start.

Bama_SIM_Cam ~ Oneonta, Alabama
Bama_SIM_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #35
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I have the same issue. Usually when I'm entering the car and holding my keys. Just slight touch on the trunk release and it opens. It's always the trunk, never any of the other buttons. They should of recessed the buttons.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #36
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I Have a 2010 2SS that I've owned since 2011 and I've had this problem since day one. I get a trunk open message almost every time I start the car. I live on a country lane, about 3/4 miles from the highway. There's a railroad crossing about halfway up my lane. I figured out years ago that if I hit the crossing just right, it would close my trunk, but occasionally I miss it. Then I have to pull over, then get out and close my trunk. I also own a 2017 SS Sedan with the same style switchblade fob and this never happens on it, but you have to press and hold the trunk release button on it before the trunk will open. I've often wondered if the press and hold feature was built into the fob on the SS Sedan or is it in the BCM programming. I figured that if it was in the fob, it might be worthwhile to order a 2017 SS Sedan switchblade fob and see if I could program it to my 2010 Camaro SS.

A friend of mine bought a 2015 2LT Camaro last weekend and he called me last night to help him program his Home Link. When I got there, he was also complaining about his trunk release not working on his fob. I looked at his fob and sure enough, it had the same tiny "hold" that my SS Sedan has on it's fob trunk release button. And sure enough, it has that same delay built into it.

So, now my questions are:

#1 Does anyone know if this delay, that the later models have, is built into the fob or is it in the BCM?

#2 If it's in the fob, does anyone know if the newer model fobs are otherwise compatible with the older model cars?

#3 Does anyone know what year GM phased these changes in?

I know about the two-shot relay and I will probably go with one of those, if I cant use the newer model fobs. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are before I order anything.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 12-27-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:27 AM   #37
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
same issue here. i also thought that i was hitting the button on the transmitter by mistake
Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #38
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
same issue here. i also thought that i was hitting the button on the transmitter by mistake
I'm assuming you are. My trunk opens when I have my key fob and other things in my pocket and then I bend over. Sometimes, when I'm washing my car and I have the fob in my pocket, I notice the lights flashing, doors locking and unlocking and the trunk opening. This wasn't such a problem on the older models because they recessed the buttons on the fob. I'm guessing that they didn't do that on these due to the switchblade design. I did check on one of the GM Parts websites and they say that the current part# fits 2010-15 and they weren't expensive. Around $37, as I recall and I saw some on ebay in the upper $20 range. I zoomed in on the photo and it does say "Hold" under the trunk release button, so that is the newer style. Now, if I could figure out if that delay is built in to the fob or the BCM. I may order one and try it, just to see, but I was hoping that someone had already went down this road and could save me the trouble and expense.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #39
TexWristen

Drives: 2015 2SS
Anyone ever get this figured out? My 2015 just recently started doing the trunk thing. Keys are not in my pocket and the damn trunk keeps opening. At least every other day.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
TexWristen is offline   Reply With Quote