Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
I've been in the business 26 years, I've never heard of recal on a HUD. Other ADAS (automated driver's assisted systems) like lane depature, auto braking and self driving do.
The only other idea is the HUD lamination in the windshield is bad.
To F that unit up would really that a monumental F up.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
But if lamination was bad, it wouldn't go from clear to blurry to clear. It would stay blurry.

I think you need to call the corporate office of the glass company. Sounds like they're giving you the run around.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Totally agree. Call corporate get it handled. What company is it?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Its a small private glass comp. I think the reason it looks clear then blurry as you drive you move around a bit, I notice the upper and lower parts of the display are double and the very center is clear. So if you move your head a bit it looks clear then blurry depending where you look at it. Its very odd, before it was just one clear image. I lowered the brightness and it does help because the double image is not as bright as the main image.

They called me and explained they called the glass distributor and they said they never had a problem like this before. I also look like Marilyn Monroe, they went on to ask if I had trouble before this.......I didn't. They say they are stumped and are coming back to look at it for themselves. I'm starting to hear banjo's playing in the background.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #19
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
IIRC you can move the display up and down on the window. Lower brightness and moving it (up or down) might be your only practical solution unless you are anxious to meet more of the band and get to know them better.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I called 3 dealers none know of a "CALIBRATION" for the unit. They tell me to call the glass company. Glass company says call the dealer............kinda like the chicken and the egg..........
CamaroBarb--use the conference call feature of your smart phone. Call glass company, put them on hold; then call dealership and take glass company off hold; you will all three be on the call together and glass company and dealership can hash out what they need to do.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #21
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
IIRC you can move the display up and down on the window. Lower brightness and moving it (up or down) might be your only practical solution unless you are anxious to meet more of the band and get to know them better.
I ordered a test sheet that will surely tell what is wrong. If the test sheet is clear there is no doubt the WS has a problem. It just a single sheet of plastic used with HUD displays.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #22
CamaroBarb
Banned

I found the problem, When they used the electric chisel they bent the edge of the dash pad down away from the windshield. So now there is a 3/8-1/2 inch gap between the dash and the WS Except in the very middle of the dash where they didn't use the chisel there is the normal 1/8th inch gap. So this causes the HUD to display in a area of the WS that shows double because its too low. Also now you can see right down the edge of the WS to the weather strip that seals the WS to the body.,Looks like crap. Not sure how you repair bent plastic? Or if the dash pad has a metal frame that is bent? I may trade the car just to be done with this mess. Its really been a lot of trouble since I bought it. I can't imagine them pulling the glass back out and replacing the dash. If insurance covers this mess I'll take the money and get a older Camaro without all these problems all the time. Its also the only car I ever owned that you needed the AC on even in cool weather. Very odd troubles this car has.

Could someone look at their dash pad and see how much gap there is between the dash and WS. Also if you can easily see the weather strip that runs along the bottom of the windshield? I'll post pictures tomorrow if the car is still here.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #23
CamaroBarb
Banned

Pictures
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #24
CamaroBarb
Banned

I never seen a weather strip on there before, I shouldn't now. Plus its uneven and looks terrible when the sun hits it. There was no big gap like this before they changed it, the dash was close to the WS.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #25
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Sorry CamaroBarb...thought it was the chisel originally and you were right...but it was the installer using the chisel. They are definitely responsible and should pay for the cost to fix it. They have insurance for that. On my windshield I do see a little bit of the weather strip but not like yours now. And of course dash not cracked like that. Is your camaro a 2019? Not sure why you can't but I can turn off AC in my 2015.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #26
CamaroBarb
Banned

Could you post a few pictures of you dash to compare? TY
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #27
CamaroBarb
Banned

I took the car to Safelite today to see what they think, they told me the problem is the glass is not installed in the proper position. Its up too high away from the body. That also why the HUD is double- out of focus. 125 dollars to fix it if the glass doesn't break removing it. 582.00 If it breaks. All on me of course..........
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #28
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I took the car to Safelite today to see what they think, they told me the problem is the glass is not installed in the proper position. Its up too high away from the body. That also why the HUD is double- out of focus. 125 dollars to fix it if the glass doesn't break removing it. 582.00 If it breaks. All on me of course..........
? It would look odd if it was up that much.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote