Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #211
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Dropped off my 2010 Camaro at the body shop this morning the paint is peeling off the rear bumper per the TSB, and the paint is peeling off the driver’s side of the hood on the inside (on the lip before the fender edge) approx. 3” of missing paint it I can tell you I never had pain problems with my other cars (00 Camaro, 01 Z/2, 05 Trailblazer, o6 Silverado, 07 Suburban, 09 Malibu).
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #212
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
come on guys, how do you blame rock chips on aGM and then say it is a paint problem. Chips happen, as much as I don't like them it happens.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #213
Jenny Bain

Drives: Victory Red Chevy Camaro 10
Paint chips

I bought my 2010 Victory Red Camaro used.. I have only had it 2 months. I inspected that car up and down before I bought it and it did have a few chips on it then.. But I wash it frequently and noticed that there are more and more LARGE chips everytime I wash it.. These aren't just scratches.. They are chunks of paint.. All the way down to the Gray Metal (i guess thats the metal) . Anyways,, I'm am bummed!! In one years time, am I gonna have to get the thing repainted or what? I even see little places where the paint is doing like a spider type cracking thing.. I see where everyone has had no luck with their dealers and Chevrolet.. I guess I am really outta luck cause mine was used.. Man , You pay a ton of money for something and you expect it to stay beautiful..
Jenny Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #214
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Me too, chips everywhere and I baby my car! It makes me sick...
No car I've ever owned ever chipped so easily. Barely over a year old and it needs a new paint job!!
copper3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #215
SuperT

Drives: 2010 Camaro, Inferno Orange, RS
I've had my Camaro for 6 months. Around the first of February I noticed that the car had a significant amount of chipping on the rockers and gill vent areas. After a brief freak-out, I got online and did some research and found that I wasn't the only one having issues. Mid February the car was scheduled for it's 9000 mile service, and while at the dealer, I took it back to the shop to have them look at it. The kid who looked at it said that it was due to rock chipping and was my problem. He gave me an estimate to repair the rockers and gill vents and apply Ventureshield to these areas. The quote was $1009.
I took the car home and washed it only to discover that the chipping had gotten worse, and had now shown up on my doors as well. I immediately took it to an award-winning shop that I had worked with before. I got a little chuckle because everyone there looked at me like I had three heads when I told them I wanted a quote to have my 2010 Camaro repainted. The owner took a look at it, and every surface with the exception of the roof, and the trunk lid need to be repaired. The guy thought that there was definitely some kind of problem with this paint job. The quote from here was $5618.
At this point, I was extremely irate. After I got home, I called Chevrolet and filed an official complaint.
On Monday, March 7th, I washed the car, and shocker, the chipping had gotten even worse. Now it looks like my rockers and gill vents have been sand blasted. I took it straight to the dealer and asked to speak with the shop manager. I showed him the car, and explained my position in a very political way. I understand that a vehicle will receive rock chips. It would be unreasonable to think otherwise. With that being said, however, what is happening to this car is entirely too excessive for one that's been on the road for 6 months. This is my fifth Camaro. I traded in my '02 for this one, and my '02's paint was in better condition than this one's.
The shop manager took my name, phone number, and the VIN, and said he would make some calls and do some checking and get back to me in a couple of days. Something he said is bothering me though. He said that because of the color (Inferno Orange), the chipping is more visible, because you can see the gray primer/metal. He said that if I had, say, a silver one, I wouldn't notice the chipping. Really? Just because the naked eye has difficulty picking up a gray on gray contrast doesn't mean that the chipping would not be present. I feel pretty certain I'd notice.
The shop manager called me the next day and said that the General Manager of the dealership chain wants to look at my car, so the appointment is set up for Monday the 14th. So, we'll see where it goes from there. I'm going to try to continue to work this up the chain. I just really don't feel like I should eat the cost of a new paint job, although if that's what happens, then that's what happens.
The car needs to be repaired because it's only going to get worse, as time has already shown. I'm already in the process of preparing to take preventative measures after it gets new paint, as in ordering mudflaps, and getting quotes on 3M clear bras and Ventureshield for the other trouble areas. I have the car entered in a show on April 9th, but I think I'll be withdrawing that entry for the time-being. I also have a Camaro club meeting on the 14th where I'll be bringing this issue to light.
I'll try to post updates as they come in.
People, please, if you're experiencing a problem with your paint, make it known to GM. They need to hear from us. 1-800-222-1020. Feel free to reference my complaint number: 71-921506834
SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #216
CarolinaChick

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
I really hope "someone, somewhere" is taking note of all the issues people are having with the paint on our cars. I realize that a chip here & there is INEVITABLE. Heck, if you drive a car, it's gonna happen BUT it seems to me that this paint just isn't durable. I've already had my back bumper repainted (under warranty) because of the paint flaking off and the car only has 1,5XX miles on it.

SuperT, keep us posted of your progress, please.
CarolinaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #217
Frances

Drives: 2010 Black camaro 1LT
Send a message via Yahoo to Frances
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
dealers are not going to admit there is a problem.
right--never
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #218
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
My husband said they got cheap with the paint. I have rock chips all over my hood,facia and gills really bad.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #219
CarolinaChick

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
SuperT, have you heard anything or made any progress?
CarolinaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #220
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
guys i paint for a living.. its not the new water based paint or the prep work because alot of shops are painting with it now. its the lack of clear coat that GM is using on there cars now. they cheap out real bad with the clear coat and the fact that they arent using enough to protect the paint.. BMW and other car companys are using water based also but they dont slack on the clear like GM does..

GM ****ed up on this one, but they will never admit it.. mitsubishi also messed up with there lancers and evos because on the rear of the new evo and lancer it sticks out like the camaro rear quarter.. do a search, you will they have the same issues with there paint.. in order to protect the paint well, you must lay on a good amount of clear coat.. this is something GM and some other car companys dont do now so they can save some money.

Last edited by bowtie628; 03-20-2011 at 09:23 PM.
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #221
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
My car is due to be inspected once I get it back...Been a almost a year waiting and GM is taking action now. The DM is going to look at the car again, Chips everywhere.
I know they will make the right decision and fix this.......
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #222
SuperT

Drives: 2010 Camaro, Inferno Orange, RS
My appointment with the dealership manager on the 14th was postponed due to snow. It was rescheduled for today, the 21st. The meeting went very well, and in my favor. My car goes in next Monday for an entire new paint job. After it is repainted, I will have Ventureshield applied to the front fascia, and the lower half of the car, along with the placement of splash guards. I can't even begin to say how pleased I am with this dealership, as they are certainly going out of their way to fix the problem.

Last edited by SuperT; 03-21-2011 at 05:48 PM.
SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #223
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
My appointment with the dealership manager on the 14th was postponed due to snow. It was rescheduled for today, the 21st. The meeting went very well, and in my favor. My car goes in next Monday for an entire new paint job. After it is repainted, I will have Ventureshield applied to the front fascia, and the lower half of the car, along with the placement of splash guards. I can't even begin to say how pleased I am with this dealership, as they are certainly going out of their way to fix the problem.
your lucky to have this go your way.. make sure whoever is painting the car preps it right and uses a good amount of clear coat on the car.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #224
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Exclamation

Funny thing....I was watching the History Channel the other night and saw a bit (Modern Marvels?) about a test facility that GM has. It is a covered tunnel filled with gravel that they take cars down with different types of paint. They use it to check chip resistance and durability of the paint. I guess they've never run the Camaro down this strip...