Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Deleware County Ny, COOLEST cop EVER! Saved from 80 mph ticket...

On Saturday I was driving from my school in the Bronx all the way up to Binghampton NY. Its about a 190 mile drive through mostly desolate long straight roads with the occasional twists through mountains.

My two closest friends had an emergency and really had no way of getting home. They agreed to pay me $35 each for me to come get them and bring them home, one was also having a pretty dire family emergency...

I left at 2:30 P.M. from the BX.

About 100 miles into the trip I was on RT 17 and it was completely empty. I was getting pretty tired and I wanted to get up there a bit quicker because I knew I had to make the return trip. The speed limit was 65 so I bumped the cruise control up to 80 and just relaxed in the left lane. I had not even seen another car for 15 minutes and it was all barren straight away.

I came over a hill and the speed limit switched to 55 mPH at the bottom. I still didn't see any cars so I lowered the cruise to 65 for the 55 speed limit but didn't hit the brakes. I figured I'd use that coasting down the hill to gain a little mpg.

Then out of nowhere on the right side of the road a gray Malibu with the sheriff sign pulled out after me. It actually took him a mile or so to finally catch up.

He lit me up so I pulled over DAMNITTT!

"Son do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Hmm well I'm not too sure Officer (law training in me, don't admit fault)"

"Well you were going 80 MPH in a 55 and I have you on my camera."

"Ahh I've been driving for almost two hours now and I'm a bit tired. i had it set to cruise coming down the hill and I just honest must not have noticed coming down that hill."

*Kind of stares at me strange*

"Son what does that license plate stand for?"

"Oh its from Chapelle's show"

"No drunkeness?"

"Oh no haha "

"Okay well you realize if I give you a ticket and because you are uinder 21 this will kill you?"

*terrifying nod*

"Well there is the ticket called stopping on the highway, its not points and a very small fine, would you be interested in that?"

"Honestly officer that would be more than gracious of you"

"Alright sit tight for a second I'll be right back."

"Alright heres your ticket, normally I would just give you an 80 mph ticket and make you deal with it but that would kill you."

"Wow thank you officer that is more than gracious of you and I will definitely just plead guilty and pay the fine."

"Alright son be safe and Merry Christmas."

DODGED A BULLET!

I gotta say he was the coolest cop I've ever met. I guess he actually factored in how much of a hard time that ticket would have given me, because I would have had to drive back up to appear for the ticket. And my age factored in as well.

Oh and I definitely paid more attention the entire way home and kept it no higher than 10 above.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
Merry Christmas to you!
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
Merry Christmas!! That is awesome, I've been on that road a few times when I moved up to Watkins Glen and went to visit family on the Island. Pretty road and usually empty. Hope your friends are ok.
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
stroke of luck! Very gracious of him indeed. Merry Christmas

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
esipp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM A6
I wish I had been so lucky before Thanksgiving... got pulled over in MD for 81 in a 55 (bend at the bottom of a hill, road drives like a 65). $160 fine but it's my first ever so I'm gonna try to talk them down in court in a month.
esipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
That cop has good Karma coming his way!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
barnesql

Drives: 95' Z28, 2010 2ss RS
What kind of law training do you have that tells you to "don't admit fault". Sounds to me if he really liked you he would have let you off or something...

Interesting post. So, that cop was going to give you a ticket for pulling over, even though he pulled you over....I heard that New York Troopers were tough, but damn that is umm....what I would call strange.

Magnaflow 3" Competition Series Catback
Off road x-pipe
Kooks LT Headers
barnesql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
My Uncle lives in Downsville. Every time I drive to see them, I take it easy because of all the state troopers. But those hills on Rt 17 are a killer, you can literally coast in neutral doing 75mph. haha

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Sin

Drives: DEAD
This thread died in December.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote