Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: will your camaro ss be a daily driver?
yes 472 67.24%
no 182 25.93%
maybe 48 6.84%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #85
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
^Premium is a recommendation only.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #86
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member

Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
Talking

This is def gonna be my daily driver. I'm only gonna drive it when I go out though, lol. Otherwise this is my and I will be the only HS-er that has this car. Time to mingle wit de ladies...haha
16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #87
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
You're d@mn skippy! I take a toll every day to work. Highway miles and a V8=26+MPG... Then again. I normally do anywhere between 80 and 110. (if you're an Austin cop, I'm just kidding. I do 70 in the day, and 65 at night.)
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #88
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yearoldcamarodriver View Post
This is def gonna be my daily driver. I'm only gonna drive it when I go out though, lol. Otherwise this is my and I will be the only HS-er that has this car. Time to mingle wit de ladies...haha
Welcome to the site. I wish I could've had a maro in high school, I drove a 77 buick century that my dad bought for $400. Free car? Yes. Chick magnet? uuuhh No.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #89
smike07

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkVille View Post
^Premium is a recommendation only.
It's not recommended because GM just wants you to spend more on gas, it's recommended because GM knows its engines. If you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't buy the car. If I were buying a used Camaro that was supposed to use the good gas, but someone cut corners and used the cheap stuff, and I found out, you would lose me as a customer. The cheap gas causes unnecessary, long term wear and tear on the engine and causes it to lose significant power. Not only that, more sludge forms. I could keep going, but the list would read more like a book, so I'll spare you. The point of this rant is to just say, use the good stuff. It's worth it in many more ways than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
If the SS gets approved for patrol use I am deffinitely going to trade in my R/T for a RS/SS Imperial Blue.
That's one helluva patrol car!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #90
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver620 View Post
i plan on trading in my current ride for a v8 camaro ss/rs, so it's going to be my daily ride. one question though on the salesperson guide it says to use premium for the v8 camaro, do you think you can get by with regular?
Why not just run premium? It's $4 a TANK difference.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #91
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver620 View Post
i plan on trading in my current ride for a v8 camaro ss/rs, so it's going to be my daily ride. one question though on the salesperson guide it says to use premium for the v8 camaro, do you think you can get by with regular?
my Dodge Magnum is recommended to run on 89, but its 87 safe. For the first bit I ran it on 87 because per litre or gallon it was cheaper...then i switched to 89 and haven't looked back. The car is much more efficient now. I get more mileage out of one tank with 89 than 87...when I calculate its actually cheaper to run the car on 89.

Also, I don't know about where you're from, but around here premium is cheaper on thursdays.

So, yes this car will be my DD and I will fill up with premium on thursdays.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #92
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
It's not recommended because GM just wants you to spend more on gas, it's recommended because GM knows its engines. If you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't buy the car. If I were buying a used Camaro that was supposed to use the good gas, but someone cut corners and used the cheap stuff, and I found out, you would lose me as a customer. The cheap gas causes unnecessary, long term wear and tear on the engine and causes it to lose significant power. Not only that, more sludge forms. I could keep going, but the list would read more like a book, so I'll spare you. The point of this rant is to just say, use the good stuff. It's worth it in many more ways than one.
You're right on all points except fo the sludge. Using regualr won't cause any more sludge. It "could" cause detonation (aka ping) which is terrible on a motor and can ruin valves and pistons.

93 octane burns slower and thus is less susceptible to ignition before the spark ignites the mix in the cylinder.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #93
smike07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
You're right on all points except fo the sludge. Using regualr won't cause any more sludge. It "could" cause detonation (aka ping) which is terrible on a motor and can ruin valves and pistons.

93 octane burns slower and thus is less susceptible to ignition before the spark ignites the mix in the cylinder.
See, that's why I like this site. I get to learn something new every day.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #94
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
Is that still true for modern engines that "Recommend" Premium? I thought the computer can detect the octane you're running and adjust to handle a lower octane without damaging the engine.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #95
Camaro0911

Drives: 2002 Chevy Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ym@Y132 View Post
I'm gonna drive it like I i stole it!!!!!
So if you stole a vehicle would you drive it a lot, because I wouldn't.
Camaro0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #96
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro0911 View Post
So if you stole a vehicle would you drive it a lot, because I wouldn't.
I'd sell that one for a car I didn't steal. Then I can drive it like I don't have to escape the helicopter.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #97
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member

Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Welcome to the site. I wish I could've had a maro in high school, I drove a 77 buick century that my dad bought for $400. Free car? Yes. Chick magnet? uuuhh No.
Thanks, haha. I'm growing up in the technology age I guess. I would rather have a car than no car. But then again, it has to have some looks. Atleast you got a car though, I MIGHT be able to garuanteed that I get Straight A's, which should be very very easy.
16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #98
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
nope definately not a daily driver. im not even gonna getit out in the rain! so the snow is out of the question. i am basically just getting this car because o love camaro's and i have a need for speed that hasnt been fulfilled since i got rid of my trans am.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote