Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #589
1993ka24det
Curve Carver

Drives: 1993 Mazda Miata
Is your spoiler or splitter adjustable? and what is your over all weight?

Last edited by 1993ka24det; 09-13-2015 at 06:48 AM.
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #590
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993ka24det View Post
Is your spoiler or splitter adjustable? and what is your over all weight?
They aren't track-side adjustable, but JP has been working on different versions to get the best effect. Once they are in place, no need to adjust.

Overall dry weight is 3700 and change, though that was a while back and there have been some other mods since. Will probably drill out some areas of the car this winter that are no longer structurally that important now that the car is caged. Could be some serious weight reduction possibilities there.

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #591
1993ka24det
Curve Carver

Drives: 1993 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
They aren't track-side adjustable, but JP has been working on different versions to get the best effect. Once they are in place, no need to adjust.

Overall dry weight is 3700 and change, though that was a while back and there have been some other mods since. Will probably drill out some areas of the car this winter that are no longer structurally that important now that the car is caged. Could be some serious weight reduction possibilities there.

Pete
I don't know remember if you said what class your running, but when I started running aero (Nascar COT wing, flat underbody and 6" front splitter) made a world of difference. About 7 secs around Sebring and that's after I switched back to street tires.

I love watching a car getting built from scratch, can't wait so see what winter has in store
Old 09-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #592
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #593
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993ka24det View Post
I don't know remember if you said what class your running, but when I started running aero (Nascar COT wing, flat underbody and 6" front splitter) made a world of difference. About 7 secs around Sebring and that's after I switched back to street tires.

I love watching a car getting built from scratch, can't wait so see what winter has in store
Interesting! Well I will post some video Saturday after I get back from VIR. Can't wait to try the aero....

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #594
JusticePete

Driven weekends only with great care...
Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #595
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Love watching this build, good work guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We used a small section of angle and welded it to the bumper bar for the suports.
Question for you Pete, where/how does the underside of the splitter attach? Do you use the preexisting screw/bolt holes on the bumper? Do you have a picture of just the splitter itself before it was installed on the car?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #596
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Love watching this build, good work guys.

Question for you Pete, where/how does the underside of the splitter attach? Do you use the preexisting screw/bolt holes on the bumper? Do you have a picture of just the splitter itself before it was installed on the car?
SSsoon's Camaro already had a SLP splitter mounted so it is not a good example. We have 12 bolts holding it in place, two of them are OE holes to the sub-frame and of course the two standoffs. The water-jet has been down slowing us so we are behind on V 3. Hopefully we get some V 3's cut today. We'll be fitting them to a standard 2010 and a 2014 using many of the existing OE holes / mounting points. Of course, SSsoon's Camaro gets the first one.

Once we have sorted the fitment on standard fascias, I'll get pictures some detailed pictures posted.

Last edited by JusticePete; 09-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #597
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
that cage stiffen up that car so much. WOW!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #598
SSSoon

Long and great day at VIR. Just got back. We will load up video over the weekend and post link here. Without trying too hard in the morning, set a new personal best (2:14:80). Track got pretty hot in the afternoon, and I was starting to experiment with things we were learning from the data logging (which is pretty cool stuff... will show some screen shots this weekend too) so that was the best time of the day.

I used to run in Comp mode in the past and Stabilitrack rarely kicked in; with the new suspension, Stabilitrack was coming on all the time. So, ran most of the day with all nannies off, and really enjoyed it. The new suspension is unreal. I am still getting used to it. First time through the uphill Esses I turned the wheel like I usually do and almost drove off the track. It turns in incredibly fast - like, instantly. It's amazing.

The car is also really well behaved in oversteer situations. Super predictable, and tucks back in with just a little effort, no problem. Came around one corner a little too fast, the back went out a bit, and I thought to myself, "hmm, I wonder if I should open up the wheel a bit, or just let it sort itself out". All this while in oversteer. It sorted itself out. No drama.

I think I need bigger tires. Going to start looking for 335/30/19 out back and 325/30/19 out front. I know that going to slicks would do a lot, and maybe that's where I'll end up. But not before giving one last shot at monster street tires.

In other news, my McGyvered front brake ducts from 2014 could not stand up to the extra airflow coming off the new splitter, and they popped off on both sides. As a result, air came ramming in against the back of the fender liner. Note huge missing piece of fender liner in pic below. Same on both sides. Lol.

If you ever get a chance to run with Rezoom, they are a great group. I was in the Advanced/Instructor group and everyone was very well behaved, even when passing in corner. The only slightly surprising moment came when a Can Am race car (about 3 feet tall, goes a zillion miles an hour) was right behind me and so low down I couldn't see it over the gurney flap. I check my side mirror and OUT POPS A CAR, ready to pass me. Holy crap. He was literally so low that my rearview camera did not see him. Anyhow, all went well and he made his pass. I think he figured it out because next session he came up in my side view, not directly behind me.

Big thanks to JusticePete for spending the day on the track with me, hanging out, taking temp readings, troubleshooting Stabilitrack, etc. I can't think of another vendor who would do that sort of stuff. You know you're in good hands when the last thing you see at the end of the day is the last pic below (Car going to JPSS for oil change, fixes to ducts, etc. before our trip to Road Altanta next Friday).

Pete
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #599
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
very nice!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #600
JusticePete

Spent the day in heaven, according to Paul Newman, at VIR with SSsoon.

It was a great day. Check out his driving.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 AM   #601
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Long and great day at VIR. Just got back. We will load up video over the weekend and post link here. Without trying too hard in the morning, set a new personal best (2:14:80). Track got pretty hot in the afternoon, and I was starting to experiment with things we were learning from the data logging (which is pretty cool stuff... will show some screen shots this weekend too) so that was the best time of the day.

I used to run in Comp mode in the past and Stabilitrack rarely kicked in; with the new suspension, Stabilitrack was coming on all the time. So, ran most of the day with all nannies off, and really enjoyed it. The new suspension is unreal. I am still getting used to it. First time through the uphill Esses I turned the wheel like I usually do and almost drove off the track. It turns in incredibly fast - like, instantly. It's amazing.

The car is also really well behaved in oversteer situations. Super predictable, and tucks back in with just a little effort, no problem. Came around one corner a little too fast, the back went out a bit, and I thought to myself, "hmm, I wonder if I should open up the wheel a bit, or just let it sort itself out". All this while in oversteer. It sorted itself out. No drama.

I think I need bigger tires. Going to start looking for 335/30/19 out back and 325/30/19 out front. I know that going to slicks would do a lot, and maybe that's where I'll end up. But not before giving one last shot at monster street tires.

In other news, my McGyvered front brake ducts from 2014 could not stand up to the extra airflow coming off the new splitter, and they popped off on both sides. As a result, air came ramming in against the back of the fender liner. Note huge missing piece of fender liner in pic below. Same on both sides. Lol.

If you ever get a chance to run with Rezoom, they are a great group. I was in the Advanced/Instructor group and everyone was very well behaved, even when passing in corner. The only slightly surprising moment came when a Can Am race car (about 3 feet tall, goes a zillion miles an hour) was right behind me and so low down I couldn't see it over the gurney flap. I check my side mirror and OUT POPS A CAR, ready to pass me. Holy crap. He was literally so low that my rearview camera did not see him. Anyhow, all went well and he made his pass. I think he figured it out because next session he came up in my side view, not directly behind me.

Big thanks to JusticePete for spending the day on the track with me, hanging out, taking temp readings, troubleshooting Stabilitrack, etc. I can't think of another vendor who would do that sort of stuff. You know you're in good hands when the last thing you see at the end of the day is the last pic below (Car going to JPSS for oil change, fixes to ducts, etc. before our trip to Road Altanta next Friday).

Pete
There is usually an ideal size for a car/platform. It seems to be 305-315 for gen5 Camaro. If you go bigger than that, you might start suffering from added wind/road resistance, tire weight, not being able to properly (even temp spread) warm up the thread, numb steering, overworked suspension and control arms/bushings, etc.

In other words, I think you need to upgrade to better tire compound, not any larger. In my opinion, it is actually waste of your investment if you don't put the right tire for the job. I remember raising this in the beginning of this season, too : )

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...%252Fa+bw.html

My favorite tire. Never lets me down, and wears like iron, unlike any other R-compound I've ever used (except perhaps MPSC 2). My brother also uses it during the whole summer with no issues.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #602
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
There is usually an ideal size for a car/platform. It seems to be 305-315 for gen5 Camaro. If you go bigger than that, you might start suffering from added wind/road resistance, tire weight, not being able to properly (even temp spread) warm up the thread, numb steering, overworked suspension and control arms/bushings, etc.

In other words, I think you need to upgrade to better tire compound, not any larger. In my opinion, it is actually waste of your investment if you don't put the right tire for the job. I remember raising this in the beginning of this season, too : )

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...%252Fa+bw.html

My favorite tire. Never lets me down, and wears like iron, unlike any other R-compound I've ever used (except perhaps MPSC 2). My brother also uses it during the whole summer with no issues.
I figured you'd chime in on the tires, X25 Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking at different options, but that's a really nice endorsement for the NT01. I remember you tried out a whole lot of different options a while back. I see that they are releasing a 325/30/19 NT01 on October 1st... maybe we'll try that. I get the downside of wider tires but most of those problems would come from switching to slicks anyways (grip related) I suspect. Plus I am pretty confident in my suspension.

In addition to tires, I have to work on consistency. The data logger tells me that if it stitched together the best segment times from the session Pete posted above, I'd have a 2:11 (just figured out how to do this in the software). Need seat time.

Last edited by SSSoon; 09-19-2015 at 12:09 PM.