Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
doc1969z28

Drives: 2013 Victory Red Camaro ZL1
Key fob

Hello, I just purchased a lightly used 2013 CAMARO and the dealer took the flip keys out of the fob and gave me 2 separate keys. I had thought that I saw a video awhile back where someone took one of the new keys and cut the plastic head off it and then reinstalled it back in the flip key fob. Do anyone know anything about this ? Has anyone tried doing this ? I really miss the flip key :(
doc1969z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
BostiPB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes, you can take the blades out of the recall keys and install them into you switchblades. Only thing that you will need is the roll-pin to hold the blade into the switchblade. Some have said that they just epoxied them in, but I can not say that this works as I did not use epoxy.

The other thing that you can do is order new blades with pins and get them cut. Or you can order precut new blades with pins(ordered mine from a chevy dealer on ebay). This is what I did so I had extra keys if I needed it.
2014 2SS/RS - Red Rock Metallic - Kooks Headers, Corsa Extreme, Factory Reproductions Z28 Rims, Pedders Coilovers, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Summit Racing Line Lock, GM Strut Brace, GM low profile splash guards, Roto-fab CAI, Oracle Ghosted Sidemarker Lights & Concept Mirrors, ZL1 Side Skirts, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eaton Truetrac, Yukon 4.11s, GForce Renegade Axles, Speedmaster79 Diff Cover, Offset Diff Bushings, Every Suspension Bushing Front & Rear Replaced with BMR Poly Bushings - 421HP 412TQ
BostiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
murf24

Drives: 2012 RS
Putting the key back in your switchblade fob

I bought a 2012 RS last year. It came with the keys removed from the switchblade fob. It was very easy to cut the plastic off the keys and reinstall them back in the fob. I used a hack saw to cut down both sides of the key then knocked the remaining plastic off with a small hammer. Once you get the plastic off you will see the keys are straight and a little narrower at the end where the plastic piece was. The key is also notched so when you install it in the fob it can be held in with a pin. I cut down a small nail to use for a pin. You'll want the pin to be snug so it doesn't pull out or fall out of the fob. I put a little clear nail polish on the holes where the pin slides in to help keep the pin in place. There was a chip in the key that got destroyed when I cut the plastic off. Not a problem though because there is also a chip in the fob. No problem starting the car. Works great!
Attached Images

murf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
MoeFaux

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
I choose to buy blank blades and roll pins from ebay and have them cut at my local locksmith and kept the GM plastic top key. Works great and i have a couple of extra keys.
MoeFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
just get on amazon and order 2 new fobs (link HERE)

Have them cut at your dealer/locksmith (my dealer did for 10/key) and just reprogram them yourself.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Take it to a keysmith or a locksmith. They'll put in a new blade, copy the pattern from the individual key, and it'll be like it originally was. I did this after buying last year, and now I essentially have 3 keys. - 1 fob with a working blade, 2 standalone keys, and a bladeless fob
Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
How much are you guys paying to get the blade laser cut?
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I paid 10/key at my dealer for the flip-key blanks that I picked up off amazon
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
gen5dewy

Drives: 2015 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by murf24 View Post
I bought a 2012 RS last year. It came with the keys removed from the switchblade fob. It was very easy to cut the plastic off the keys and reinstall them back in the fob. I used a hack saw to cut down both sides of the key then knocked the remaining plastic off with a small hammer. Once you get the plastic off you will see the keys are straight and a little narrower at the end where the plastic piece was. The key is also notched so when you install it in the fob it can be held in with a pin. I cut down a small nail to use for a pin. You'll want the pin to be snug so it doesn't pull out or fall out of the fob. I put a little clear nail polish on the holes where the pin slides in to help keep the pin in place. There was a chip in the key that got destroyed when I cut the plastic off. Not a problem though because there is also a chip in the fob. No problem starting the car. Works great!
everything was already pre trimmed down and notched out? so all you gotta do is get the key out of the plastic and set it in there?
gen5dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
How much are you guys paying to get the blade laser cut?
Was about $15 for them to cut the blade and put it back into the fob.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5dewy View Post
everything was already pre trimmed down and notched out? so all you gotta do is get the key out of the plastic and set it in there?
yes

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post8073289