Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Need a good OVER THE COUNTER Wax

I have been using Adamís Buttery Liquid Wax, but I need something that lasts longer for my daily driver. The Buttery doesnít seem to have the durability.

Before everyone says Adamís Americana Paste Wax, I just canít justify paying $70 for it. Is there a good wax I can get over the counter? I was looking at Meguiarís Ultimate Paste Wax (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18211-ultimate-wax-paste/).

It goes for about $20 at WalMart and comes with an applicator and microfiber towel. Anyone have any experience with this particular wax? They also make the same wax in a liquid. Which leads me to my second question, what is the difference between paste and liquid wax? Is paste wax stronger for some reason?
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Best over the counter lsp is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0, by far. It's a liquid sealant.

Give it a little tappy tap
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I've used it...but in liquid form. I've thought it has been doing good.

I've been tossing around trying NXT2.0 since I'm getting low on Meguiar's Ultimate.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I actually really like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Spray Wax (I think that's what it's called). It's 10 dollars for 22 ounces and that should be good for 2-3 waxes if I remember correctly.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
mothers liquid wax is what i use when i actually wax the car, and lucas spray wax when i need a quick shine.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Best over the counter lsp is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0, by far. It's a liquid sealant.

Give it a little tappy tap
I use this wax and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I actually really like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Spray Wax (I think that's what it's called). It's 10 dollars for 22 ounces and that should be good for 2-3 waxes if I remember correctly.
And I use this after every wash, very good.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Stinkpickle

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
I used Meguires gold paste last time in top of Adams MSS, so far so good!

They also sell a mini Americana for about 50 that will probably out last the ownership of your car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I have used meguiars NXT and really liked it. I have since switched to Blackfire products. So far I love blackfire as well.
Haole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I've used the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Spray Wax for a couple years; had great results and no chalky residue

Is this stuff OK on the Camaro's stripes?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Yep... the one shortcoming of Buttery is that its not a real durable wax... easy to use, can be applied in almost any conditions, but it won't take much abuse.

If you opt to come back to us for another option I'd recommend our Quick Sealant. Customers are reporting upwards of 5-6 months out of a single application which is crazy. Its reasonable to expect 4 months in most conditions which is right around where I was aiming for in development. Its all I use on my wifes SUV anymore since its outside 24/7.

Its the same price as Buttery, but since you're not completely satisfied with what its doing for you I'll work you a special deal on Quick Sealant if you want to give it a go. Shoot me a PM if interested. If not, no hard feelings.

A d a m s P o l i s h e s . c o m
use the code CAMARO5 CAMARO6 or CORVETTE for 10% off your next order
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Yep... the one shortcoming of Buttery is that its not a real durable wax... easy to use, can be applied in almost any conditions, but it won't take much abuse.

If you opt to come back to us for another option I'd recommend our Quick Sealant. Customers are reporting upwards of 5-6 months out of a single application which is crazy. Its reasonable to expect 4 months in most conditions which is right around where I was aiming for in development. Its all I use on my wifes SUV anymore since its outside 24/7.

Its the same price as Buttery, but since you're not completely satisfied with what its doing for you I'll work you a special deal on Quick Sealant if you want to give it a go. Shoot me a PM if interested. If not, no hard feelings.
I wasnít aware there was a smaller version of the Americana available. That may be the way to go. I watched the video of the quick sealant (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx) and it looks like a pretty impressive product.

@ Dylan, Iíll send you a PM, but I canít honestly say Iím not satisfied with the Buttery Wax, it does what I expected it toÖitís held up nicely on my garage queen Camaro, but falls short for the rigors of daily driving on the Mazda6 and Impala.

In general, is a paste wax more durable then a liquid wax?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I wasnít aware there was a smaller version of the Americana available. That may be the way to go. I watched the video of the quick sealant (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx) and it looks like a pretty impressive product.

@ Dylan, Iíll send you a PM, but I canít honestly say Iím not satisfied with the Buttery Wax, it does what I expected it toÖitís held up nicely on my garage queen Camaro, but falls short for the rigors of daily driving on the Mazda6 and Impala.

In general, is a paste wax more durable then a liquid wax?
PM replied.

Pastes will, in general, be far more durable than their liquid counterparts, but wax is still going to fall short when it comes to durability vs. sealants. I'd say go with a sealant for the Mazda and Impala since they see more "abuse" and keep the waxes for your Camaro.

The trade off is aesthetics - waxes tend to have that deeper/wetter look to them, where sealants are a tad more reflective and 'plasticy' (for lack of a better term). For many people the difference won't even be noticable, but if you're really into your shine you'll notice.

A d a m s P o l i s h e s . c o m
use the code CAMARO5 CAMARO6 or CORVETTE for 10% off your next order
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
PM replied.

Pastes will, in general, be far more durable than their liquid counterparts, but wax is still going to fall short when it comes to durability vs. sealants. I'd say go with a sealant for the Mazda and Impala since they see more "abuse" and keep the waxes for your Camaro.

The trade off is aesthetics - waxes tend to have that deeper/wetter look to them, where sealants are a tad more reflective and 'plasticy' (for lack of a better term). For many people the difference won't even be noticable, but if you're really into your shine you'll notice.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Camaro EMT
9,825 Miles as of 06/18

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2017 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I wasnít aware there was a smaller version of the Americana available. That may be the way to go.
Ordered the American Wax Mini online Sunday, it was at my doorstep on Wednesday afternoon. They had a 15% off special and even threw in a single soft microfiber towel for free. Can't beat that deal!
"All bleeding stops eventually." Camaro EMT
"Stay safe! Everyone goes home." UNK

Camaro EMT is offline   Reply With Quote