Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #17823
pat_t

Drives: .
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ero-interview/

Interesting read!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #17824
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Unorganized cluster **** of mistakes (excuses)
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #17825
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
I'd say if you wanna know how good the C7 really is ask the owners who track theirs. Scheduling a spot at the ring really can be a cluster @$&% at times for the american car manufacturers .
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #17826
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Unorganized cluster **** of mistakes (excuses)
I would chalk it up more to the difference in culture between Porsche and GM.

For Porsche road racing has been a way a life and is deeply embedded in the culture of the Company. The take that same professional racing approach to setting lap imes in production cars at the Ring throwing the best resources and the team professional drivers at each attempt. They of course want bragging rights, but they also want to improve their car and this is one of the many test beds they use to do so, year after year. The results consistently speak for themselves, the quality of the cars do as well.

GM on the other hand, while committed to racing of the Corvette over the long term, has done Ring time for marketing reasons. They do not throw the same level of resources at it and that has not resulted in the best results for the C7. But you can't argue with what the ZL1 1LE accomplished. A focused effort could generate better results - but that is not likely in a Company like GM.

Not taking anything away from the C7 or the driver for GM, just saying the reasons and approach of each mfg. are different and so are the results. Put Bill Wise in the ZR1 and see what he can do - a sub 7 minute lap might just be possible - but that is not likley to happen.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #17827
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post

For Porsche road racing has been a way a life and is deeply embedded in the culture of the Company. The take that same professional racing approach to setting lap imes in production cars at the Ring throwing the best resources and the team professional drivers at each attempt. They of course want bragging rights, but they also want to improve their car and this is one of the many test beds they use to do so, year after year. The results consistently speak for themselves, the quality of the cars do as well.

GM on the other hand, while committed to racing of the Corvette over the long term, has done Ring time for marketing reasons. They do not throw the same level of resources at it and that has not resulted in the best results for the C7. But you can't argue with what the ZL1 1LE accomplished. A focused effort could generate better results - but that is not likely in a Company like GM.

Not taking anything away from the C7 or the driver for GM, just saying the reasons and approach of each mfg. are different and so are the results. Put Bill Wise in the ZR1 and see what he can do - a sub 7 minute lap might just be possible - but that is not likley to happen.
THANK YOU SUPERCUP WELL SAID. Porsche OWNS the ring. Well,Audi is licking on that lollipop alil now after the 24hr showdown lol.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #17828
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post

Just to be clear, GM has the "Lutz-ring" at the Milford Proving Grounds. Yes they go the actual 'ring as the measuring stick, but they have the tools back home to do all the development all day long, whenever they want. It is, for all intents and purposes, a mini-ring, that duplicates exactly the critical elements of the actual Nurburgring. It was built for one reason and one reason only.

Taking nothing from Porsche, but there is a reason that the Corvette actually wins many comparisons with Porsches in the magazines and if nothing else always gets a "for the money" comment.

I've driven GM's Ride and Handling track. Where GM cars hold their composure, competitors felt like death traps. Unfortunately people don't buy Malibus and Impalas (RIP) because they handle far better than the competition. GM may not hit the long ball with product these days, but they are the best at Ride and Handling. But that doesn't sell cars...…...unless you are Porsche.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #17829
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I'd love to see the "full list" of track times for the Lutz-Ring.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #17830
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Thoughts on the C8?

I admit I was not much interested in a mid-engine Corvette.

I think it's simply the sub $60k price that simply has me in disbelief.

An amazing car for that money.

I'm sure to get the Z51 package and a few options you'll be easily pushing $70,000 and I'm certain there are for more expensive powertrain options coming.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #17831
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Thoughts on the C8?

I'm sure to get the Z51 package and a few options you'll be easily pushing $70,000 and I'm certain there are for more expensive powertrain options coming.
And I think this price range is part of the issues they have with Camaro direction. Not sure how the two co-exist with this pricing.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #17832
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Thoughts on the C8?

I'm kinda similar. Its an impressive achievement. And, while I doubt there will be many Ferrari owners jumping ship, I bet the Cayman's marketshare is going to shrivel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
And I think this price range is part of the issues they have with Camaro direction. Not sure how the two co-exist with this pricing.
There is still 20 grand separating the SS from the basic C8. And yes, there is now a bigger gulf in performance between them but as the Corvette approached the limits of what could be done, the performance gap between it and the Camaro shrank. Now there is clear demarcation. Plus, I'm sure that there are a number of traditionalists who want their engine in front and a stick shift beside them. Not a ton, but they still have a home in the Camaro.

One thing that may happen is GM could shift the balance between handling and straight line performance of the Camaro a notch or two in favour of the drag racing crowd. A ZL1 1LE is kinda irrelevant next to the C8. So maybe they do something more like the Hellcats instead.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #17833
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Feels like a square punch in the jaw to the GT500 as well as the ZL1.

Not sure the path forward here for the Camaro, unless it's to make it simply a more practical and usable car.

Oh and let me be the first to say, the visibility in the C8 will suck worse than a Solstice Hard Top. But unlike the Camaro, it's a border line super car and I publicly state I would accept this in the C8.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #17834
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I'm still in awe over the price tag. I was never in the "It's gonna be past 100k!" camp but under $60k base is amazing.

I think the design is a home run too.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #17835
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I’ve never been a big Corvette guy. I appreciate them and have wanted a C5 and C6 Z06 but they were never on the top of my list.

After seeing the C8, I want one. My parents want one. A few of my coworkers want them as well. My coworkers and I are under 30. I think this generation will definitely attract younger buyers.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #17836
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I’ve never been a big Corvette guy. I appreciate them and have wanted a C5 and C6 Z06 but they were never on the top of my list.

After seeing the C8, I want one. My parents want one. A few of my coworkers want them as well. My coworkers and I are under 30. I think this generation will definitely attract younger buyers.
I mentioned something along those lines in another thread. That the C8 is intended to attract a much younger buying base.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014