Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
cmack

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Help troubleshooting P219a

Need some assistance troubleshooting P219a.
https://www.autocodes.com/p219a_chevrolet.html

I have no other codes, only p219a Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank 1. It could be air/fuel/spark/o2.

I wanted (not needed) to rework vacuum line running to Mighty Mouse catch can. The manifold is Holley Sniper and is pita to remove and vacuum ports are on bottom. I had no codes prior to removing manifold.
I am not sure after seeing the condition og the old intake gaskets, why I did not have some code. Again no code before I removed intake manifold. I found several kinks in intake gaskets and caused discoloring of finish. I replaced the old gaskets with new FelPro. I took some pictures because it did not look right. This was not how things looked when I installed manifold.

I did not have any great picture of gasket kinks, you can only see the discoloring.

These two pictures are at intake #1

I think this one is at #8

I use little bit of silicone grease on gaskets. I have Chilton manual and followed sequence and tr specs (44 in-lbs then second pass at 89 in-lbs). Because Holley Sniper is a pain to work with I would like to find some way to know if the issue is still at intake.

I would have liked to provide a datalog but my laptop is not cooperating, it will only log for less than 1 second.

I scanned at looked at voltage with car off, both sensors reporting same voltage.

This is car running after warmup.

It should be noted that I don't know how to use HP Tuner, even for scanning. Is there any way to scan and tell if there is an injector problem? Is it safe to assume if there was spark problem, I would be getting misfire codes?

The only Idea I have is to start moving plugs/wires/coils/injectors from one side to the other hoping to relocate problem from bank1 to bank2.

I appreciate any assistance

-Chris
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
cmack

After I replaced the intake manifold, I drove at least 100 miles before p219a showed up.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Considering you've already raised concern with you IM, and I see your MAP sitting there at 11, I am inclined to think you do have a leak at your manifold. You should be idling under vacuum, and at 11psi, that isn't much vacuum. I would expect your MAP to be closer to half of that. I would bust out the ether and start spraying around your manifold. If you get no results with that then I would get a smoke test. One of those should give you an answer.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
cmack

Thanks very much for your input. I did try using starting fluid. Testing while engine was cold, I went all around the intake manifold, vacuum lines, brake booster. I was not able to notice a change in rpm.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
High flow induction system can set this code
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
cmack

Question regarding smoke test - I used the vacuum line from catchcan into intake manifold. No visible smoke from any vacuum lines, intake gaskets, brake booster, etc.
This is my first time performing a smoke test. I do not know what might be normal of where smoke will eventually work it's way to , if there is no vacuum leak. After about 10 mins smoke started to come out the oil filler. I did not find any smoke coming out the driver side oil cover vent. Is that normal or is there problem with valves?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gxG...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
The problem is determining what cylinder it is, in that bank. The code is set when
one side is out of balance with the other side, and it can be one or many cylinders
getting too much fuel. Leaking injectors is a main cause if too much fuel.

There should be no smoke coming from the oil fill cap, or neck. That, and a bad
dipstick seal can cause the code.

Diagnose P219A Air Fuel Ratio Cylinder Imbalance Bank 1

Step 1. Check for an active DTC
Start the engine, allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature. Test drive the vehicle in accordance with the when monitored conditions. With the scan tool, read DTC.

Is the DTC active or pending?

Yes, go to step 2.
No, perform the PCM a intermittent condition.

Step 2. Check for an intake manifold leak at a specific cylinder on bank 1
Check for any of the following conditions, but not limited to:
  • Intake manifold seals leaking at a specific cylinder.
  • Intake plenum leak at a specific cylinder.
  • Warved/cracked intake manifold or plenum.
  • Vacuum leak at a fuel injector O-rings.

Were any issues found?

Yes, perform the appropriate repairs
No, go to step 3.

Step 3. Check for fuel injector issues at a specific cylinder on bank 1
Check for any of the following conditions, but not limited to:
  • Verify correct voltage supply at each fuel injector.
  • Verify correct control circuit operation at each fuel injector.
  • Verfiy correct fuel injector operation (spray pattern).
Were any issues found?

Yes, repair as necessary.
No, go to step 4.

Step 4. Check the cylinders on bank 1 for low compression and ignition system issues
Perform a cylinder compression and/or cylinder leak down test on each cylinder on bank 1.

Check the ignition system for any of the following conditions, but not limited to:
  • Verify correct voltage supply at each ignition coil.
  • Verify correct control circuit operation at each ignition coil.
  • Verify that the spark plugs are matching and are equivalent to OEM specifications.
  • Verify correct spark plug gap.
  • Visually inspect the ignition coils and spark plugs for signs of carbon tracking.
  • Visually inspect the ignition coils for signs of damage.
Were any issues found?

Yes, repair as necessary.
No, go to step 5.

Step 5. Clean the valve train and combustion chambers
Using the combustion cleaner, de-carbon the engine. After driving and clearing the combustion cleaner from the engine, erase any DTC with the scan tool. Test drive the vehicle in accordance with the when monitored conditions. With the scan tool, read DTC.

Did the DTC return?

Yes, go to step 6.
No, repair is complete.

Step 6. Check for valve train and variable valve system issues

Check the valve train for any of the following conditions, but not limited to:
  • Verify correct operation of the Camshaft phasers.
  • Verify correct operation of the Oil Control Valve.
  • Check for broken, worn or improperly installed valve springs.
  • Check for broken, worn or improperly installed camshaft followers.
  • Check for worn camshaft lobes.
Were any issues found?

Yes, Repair as necessary.
No, anything that can cause an air/fuel ratio imbalance in an individual cylinder will cause this DTC to set. Verfy all of the items in this test and other mechanical items that may cause this DTC to set. Also check for any Service Bulletins that may apply to this fault code.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote