Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Are sidemarkers illegal to not be reflective? Texas. Aftermarket AAC

Are sidemarkers illegal to not be reflective? I just got pulled over by a state trooper recently during the day saying my sidemarkers had to be reflective. He thought I put white tape over my sidemarkers (I have the AAC ones).

I got a ticket and was just wondering what the law was on this so it didn't happen again. I thought the purpose of sidemarkers was to let your car be visible at night. Some cars looks like they have lights, others reflective. Both accomplish the same end, but maybe I overlooked the cars with lights being reflective since it's at night.
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Yes, they must be reflective. Technically I think you have to have reflective surfaces visible from the sides and rear. the side marker lights satisfy this requirement.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Were you pulled over for only that? Or initially something else? You just got a trooper with nothing better to do or he/she is brand new. Technically the sidemarkers need to be reflective. I've had mine for over a year and never had a problem.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
crewxp

Yeah, he said he I put white tape over my sidemarkers to make it look cooler. (AAC Painted White Sidemarkers. No Tape). He said he doesn't like people who don't take safety into consideration. On my ticket it said "ILLEGAL SAFETY SIDEMARKER. NOT REFLECTIVE. MISSING CORNERS). No clue what missing corners means.

He was an older state trooper. Definitely not new.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
Yes they have to be reflective, the only "legal" LED side marker is the Showstopper ones.

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
He said he doesn't like people who don't take safety into consideration.
That's why I haven't considered changing my side markers or tinting my tail lights. I've been told by a few police that if a car with tinted tail lights is rear ended, they'll assign the fault to the car that was rear ended. It's not worth the risk, or hassle of trying to fight the accident report.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
crewxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
That's why I haven't considered changing my side markers or tinting my tail lights. I've been told by a few police that if a car with tinted tail lights is rear ended, they'll assign the fault to the car that was rear ended. It's not worth the risk, or hassle of trying to fight the accident report.
Yeah, I'm going to switch from AAC to Showstoppers. It was just weird that I was stopped for that. I've seen higher-end cars with lights on the side that aren't reflective. To me, reflectiveness helps for at night when other car's lights shine on you. Instead of having reflectors, they have LED lights. I think lights are more easy to see than the standard dull reflectors. During the day, I don't see the point of reflectors. But that's just me. Just..weird.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
have had mine since last oct-nov and have driven by many many cops in day and night since then. nothing yet. i am in arkansas though and pretty much anything goes here which is pretty cool
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
Yeah, I'm going to switch from AAC to Showstoppers. It was just weird that I was stopped for that. I've seen higher-end cars with lights on the side that aren't reflective. To me, reflectiveness helps for at night when other car's lights shine on you. Instead of having reflectors, they have LED lights. I think lights are more easy to see than the standard dull reflectors. During the day, I don't see the point of reflectors. But that's just me. Just..weird.
They have to be reflective in case you are parked or don't have your lights on, their lights will have something to reflect off of. Some colors are pretty hard to see at night at a distance, especially to those who have bad eye sight, so someone may not be able to see your car and only be able to see the reflective surface of the lens at a safe enough distance to stop in time.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Each state differs on tinted tail lights so look into tour state. I know here in Hawaii as long as the light can be seen from 200 feet you are ok. I have the kit from headlightarmor.com and no problems in the 2+ years I've had them. I have had AAC sidemarkers for over a year and also no problems.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
linvol20

Drives: 2013
Ive had the plain tinted sidemarkers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-CH...374713&vxp=mtr

they dont reflect to be honest but I've been fine since 2012 with no problems.

I wanted to upgrade to led and don't want to be stopped over to ruin my day...

when people above say showstoppers r legal what do they mean? because they come in plain, tinted and ghosted.

i would imagine the aac ghosted and showstopper ghosted would be the same legal issue.
linvol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linvol20 View Post
Ive had the plain tinted sidemarkers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-CH...374713&vxp=mtr

they dont reflect to be honest but I've been fine since 2012 with no problems.

I wanted to upgrade to led and don't want to be stopped over to ruin my day...

when people above say showstoppers r legal what do they mean? because they come in plain, tinted and ghosted.

i would imagine the aac ghosted and showstopper ghosted would be the same legal issue.

I was wondering the same since I have ACC and not showstopper ones. Why are the reflective ?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Showstoppers might only be legal if you have the top strip unpainted, since the reflector would still be showing but I'm pretty sure it's still illegal at least in CA. I've got showstoppers and never been ticketed for it even when I got pulled over for missing front plate, but I drive with them on so I doubt it looks like it's unreflective just because the LED is almost always on.

I'd say drive with them ON and maybe you won't get hassled, otherwise deal with fix-it tickets and keep changing old with new
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
[QUOTE=linvol20;8284165]Ive had the plain tinted sidemarkers.

You are asking about a post from 2 years ago. Not sure if any laws have changed. I tried to look the rules up here in Florida and the only thing I saw was that red had to be used for rear and yellow for the front. Nothing about being reflective. I figure no one would pull me over during the day and at night they will be on so they wouldn't know that they are ghosted.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote