Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #211
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
Lol. Mayb ur right buddy , hopefully 1 day we can meet and put the cars on side each other and finish this . How bout that
by that time My car will be at or near 750rwhp blown with ECS on full road race coilovers and suspension.
my time table for the blower and suspension is 8 months or so.

so all I got to say is.. bring more than a stock Z/28 you'll need it.

and to others that suggested other cars..
why bring other cars even into the equation the thread was about Camaros on a Camaro board?
this was not about making a car as fast as a z/28 but making a SS into a Z/28 for alot less than they are asking.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #212
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
Why bother with a late model Camaro then? Go buy a Fox body Mustang and you could accomplish this for much, much cheaper.

Sorry, but I think the "well if I start modding <xyz> car and it'll be better than <abc> car!" is just about the lamest argument/excuse in the history of the internet. You can mod anything to be fast, that's really not the point. The Z28 is a badass car. Sure, you can mod your SS to perform like the Z28, but at the end of the day, you still have an SS and he still has a Z28.
the Z/28 is an overpriced stripped out snoozefest than any properly modded Camaro will flat destroy for less. We have 3 LSX cars in my club alone that will flat leave the Z/28 in a smoking hole in the ground wondering what hit it be it drag strip or autocross while playing the stereo and keeping cool in the AC..
the car is a total miss of the mark that will end up in collectors garages that's about it.
530/520 SAE
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #213
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
the Z/28 is an overpriced stripped out snoozefest than any properly modded Camaro will flat destroy for less. We have 3 LSX cars in my club alone that will flat leave the Z/28 in a smoking hole in the ground wondering what hit it be it drag strip or autocross while playing the stereo and keeping cool in the AC..
the car is a total miss of the mark that will end up in collectors garages that's about it.
You forgot to mention how much they have invested in their cars... then there's the fact their mods are valued at pennies on the dollar but the Z/28 will hold it's value MUCH better! I'll bet money on it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #214
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
You forgot to mention how much they have invested in their cars... then there's the fact their mods are valued at pennies on the dollar but the Z/28 will hold it's value MUCH better! I'll bet money on it.
Less than the markup on this pile will be.

I'm betting at least down here where Cobra and ZL1s are severely marked up into the 70s
This car will be sitting at low 80s with as limited a run as they are planning as well as the demand on the collectable side.

Cars are for driving not sitting in some warehouse

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #215
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
all they had to do was drop a ls7 into the 1le platform

but nooOOOoooo..

-_-
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #216
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post

but nooOOOoooo..

-_-
+1000000000000
I would have bought one for sure.

530/520 SAE
Old 04-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #217
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post

but nooOOOoooo..

-_-
probably the best idea i have heard in while
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #218
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
750 rwhp

Quote:
by that time My car will be at or near 750rwhp blown with ECS on full road race coilovers and suspension.
my time table for the blower and suspension is 8 months or so.

so all I got to say is.. bring more than a stock Z/28 you'll need it.

and to others that suggested other cars..
why bring other cars even into the equation the thread was about Camaros on a Camaro board?
this was not about making a car as fast as a z/28 but making a SS into a Z/28 for alot less than they are asking.
Dyno numbers never did impress me . I'm more interested in quater mile numbers. That's a gimmick
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #219
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
Dyno numbers never did impress me . I'm more interested in quater mile numbers. That's a gimmick
These are not dyno queens.
These are 9 second and below cars.

One being a 1400 hp twin turbo LSX car.
He is on here.

as is another look for dangeruss he has a build log here 885hp on his
9.84 for him.

530/520 SAE
Old 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #220
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I think we may be a bit off track here The Z/28 is not designed for the drag strip. It will do well on an autocross. What the Z/28 is designed to do is run laps. Lots of laps. Consistent laps. Mark Stielow is a renowned Pro-Touring / Show Car builder and a multiple OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Champion. His Mayhem Pro-Touring Camaro feature a Brian Thompson built 850 RWHP. This guy is a hard core car guy.

Mark's day job is engineering at GM. For the last two years Mark has been working on the Z/28. His credentials are second to none. Hand Mark a pile of tubing, sheet-metal and go fast parts and he'll build you a Pro-Touring car in his home garage. Combine Mark's skills with the resources at GM, the Camaro TEAM and you get a Z/28 but for the road course or eXtreme daily driver. It is a fully engineered track car in the spirit of the current Porsche GT3 that weighs in at 3,318 and retails for $134,000.

Can you build a Z/28 like Camaro? Of course and we have since the release back in 2009. Can you build them cheaper is the real question. Everything on the Z/28 has been validated to meet OEM standards for durability and warranty. That sets the bar pretty high. What I know is that a set of 19x11 light weight racing wheels retail for $4,700. Club Sport Brembo GTR Brakes are $20K. Dry sump systems aren't cheap and so on. Chevrolet has yet to release pricing so we'll have to wait and see what a road course Camaro with a factory warranty sells for.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #221
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
Sorry, still taking advantage of our sorry asses that will continue to buy or wish we could buy one of these cool cars. My ass is going to be in my 2011 RS/SS for a long time as I am happy with it and I can say UNCLE !!

ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #222
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I think we may be a bit off track here The Z/28 is not designed for the drag strip. It will do well on an autocross. What the Z/28 is designed to do is run laps. Lots of laps. Consistent laps. Mark Stielow is a renowned Pro-Touring / Show Car builder and a multiple OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Champion. His Mayhem Pro-Touring Camaro feature a Brian Thompson built 850 RWHP. This guy is a hard core car guy.

Mark's day job is engineering at GM. For the last two years Mark has been working on the Z/28. His credentials are second to none. Hand Mark a pile of tubing, sheet-metal and go fast parts and he'll build you a Pro-Touring car in his home garage. Combine Mark's skills with the resources at GM, the Camaro TEAM and you get a Z/28 but for the road course or eXtreme daily driver. It is a fully engineered track car in the spirit of the current Porsche GT3 that weighs in at 3,318 and retails for $134,000.

Can you build a Z/28 like Camaro? Of course and we have since the release back in 2009. Can you build them cheaper is the real question. Everything on the Z/28 has been validated to meet OEM standards for durability and warranty. That sets the bar pretty high. What I know is that a set of 19x11 light weight racing wheels retail for $4,700. Club Sport Brembo GTR Brakes are $20K. Dry sump systems aren't cheap and so on. Chevrolet has yet to release pricing so we'll have to wait and see what a road course Camaro with a factory warranty sells for.
And as said above these cars will end up as poser garage queens for most.
They priced it and limited it to the point it's a better collectors item than a race or street car.

The brakes are worthless to all but the most deep pocketed track person who most likely won't want to risk such.a limited car on the track in the first place.

We know it's going to be a super limited expensive car.

We also know true motorheads give a Crap less about factory warranty and will always build it bigger and better if something fails.

And we are aware they are not focused at drag but he asked for times.

530/520 SAE
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #223
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Dude, you own a Camaro, why the dissing on the Z/28? You're forgetting that from the factory, that this is still an awesome machine that comes with a warranty.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #224
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

I appretiate ur knows with all due respect. I was more on the been there done that point of view as far as modding the ss. My thoughts is doing something different in a bad ass car which i could care less about how much it would cost. I know what Im working with as far as this z/28. We all know several factory parts are going on the shelf as far as modding the z/28. The bank ain't no issue for me, and most of the parts bieng swapped are already here . We're just wiring for the z/28.
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote