Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
I understand that but it appears that the water is leaking in through the top of the vent housing and dripping over the vents, not through the vents themselves.

Last edited by OlePhu; 10-15-2017 at 06:49 PM.
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If not solved here are some more ideas. Did you try looking for any sunlight leaking in from inside the trunk? Is there an aftermarket spoiler with gasket problem? Can also use a piece of paper between gasket and sealed surface to check if tight when closed the paper should not slip out easily.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 10-16-2017 at 07:45 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #17
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
This is interesting. Earlier this year I found water under my battery too. I used my best clothes to dry it up and since I can still wear them in public I was able to rule out battery acid. I noticed it after a (rainy) road trip. I figured either drain plug was allowing it in or my ice chest was leaking even though carpet was dry. Pulled drain plug to let it dry and mostly forgot about it until now. Looks like I may have similar problem.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
If not solved here are some more ideas. Did you try looking for any sulight leaking in from inside the trunk? Is there an aftermarket spoiler with gasket problem? Can also use a piece of paper between gasket and sealed surface to check if tight when closed the paper should not slip out easily.
Haven't tried closing the trunk lid yet but I did start putting down some sound dampening mat so I know the trunk will hold a body. I'll give it a try ... want to check the trunk release anyway.

Factory spoiler and trunk lid gaskets don't leak when I spray water directly on them but even so, I don't think the water would make it over to the pressure vent from the trunk lid without leaving some trace of water and there is none except on the top of the vent.

I was even thinking it might be coming from the tail light harness because I noticed that the wiring and plugs had water drops on them too and the wrap around the wires was moist. Apparently the panel that covers that area isn't water proof either but on the inside of the trunk, the wire bundle was dry.

As for the battery acid theory... the service manager stuck his finger in liquid and then tasted it and confirmed it wasn't battery acid.

Well, if the dealer doesn't do anything about it, I'll just silicone the crap out of the perimeter of the pressure vent and see if that helps. More later.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
OlePhu
Oldskool

Angry

I finally went back to the dealer and they noticed that the pressure vent was loose so they put a sealer around the edge. I thought I was good but a few days later after a day of heavy rain, I had water in the trunk again. My next option was to have someone pull out the rear window and re-seal it but a friend noticed something I hadn't. Just behind the drip rail, there looked like a bad weld that might allow water to get into the trunk between the inner and outer fender well which would explain why we couldn't find an obvious leak. It's not big enough to let in a lot of water in unless during a sustained rain. I siliconed the weld myself as a test because GM didn't want to cover their own incompetence. So far, I haven't got water in the trunk again, but we really haven't had sustained rain either but now I'm wondering if there are other bad welds around the window and am I going to have rust issues down the road. I'll probably end up taking it to a glass place and have them pull the window and hope they don't break it in the process.

I would like to think my situation is just an isolated incidence because I've not seen any other posts about it ... but then, how many people actually check their battery well for water?
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #20
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
That area above your finger is mostly a body putty/sealant the factory smears on over the weld, it is likely not the weld itself that you are looking at?
Difficult to tell from the close shot but is that the rear facing side of the roof ditch molding where it connects to the trim end cap - just prior to the back window seal?

Nobody got in trunk yet with it closed to see it actually dripping in? Especially looking as you make the right turn? If they have claustrophobia could open the back seat so it is folded down and only part way in trunk with a flashlight as you make the right turn.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 11-24-2017 at 04:49 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's no water in the well of my Camaro's trunk. No sunroof.

The last time I saw this problem was in a Z-24 (don't laugh, it was a great little V-6 M5 rocket) which did in fact, have a sun roof.

This was in the early nineties, so there was no forum to help me find the disconnected drain tube.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #22
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
That area above your finger is mostly a body putty/sealant the factory smears on over the weld, it is likely not the weld itself that you are looking at?
Difficult to tell from the close shot but is that the rear facing side of the roof ditch molding where it connects to the trim end cap - just prior to the back window seal?

Nobody got in trunk yet with it closed to see it actually dripping in? Especially looking as you make the right turn? If they have claustrophobia could open the back seat so it is folded down and only part way in trunk with a flashlight as you make the right turn.
Correct, that is the top right corner of the window looking at it from the rear of the car. There is no dripping on any surface at the top of the trunk area. There is an inner fender where the fuse box is and some how the water is coming in between that and the outside fender. It then sits/pools underneath the pressure vent area so when I make a right hand turn, it flows under the lining into the battery well. It is impossible to see if the water is leaking from the window because of the inner fender but it hasn't done it since applying the silicone.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #23
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
A long time ago I had a 96 S-10 that would leak into the passenger foot well when it rained hard and parked on an incline. The dealership removed the dash and found a seam hadn't been properly sealed at the factory. They added the proper seam seal and never had the issue again.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote