Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Thumbs up JusticePete - Time the bushes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You need more than an alignment. You need to time the bushes to the new ride height.

The factory installed rubber bushes add spring rate to your Camaro. They are pressed into the arms. They twist. They do not rotate. The twist is where the additional spring rate comes in.

All the bushes in your Camaro were set to the factory ride height. To set them to the new ride height have the alignment shop loosen the bolts in the front inner control arm, the rear inner control arm, the outer toe links and both ends of the trailing arms. Then drive the vehicle slowly around the shop parking lot and onto the alignment rack. With the weight of the car on the wheels have him tighten those bolts and complete the alignment.

Your car will ride better. Your car will handle better. You will prevent premature bush failure.
I want to give thanks to JusticePete on stressing this point to us when dropping our Camaros.

Thanks!!

I had to drive my car for about a day before I could get into the alignment shop and the before and after feel of the car is night and day. Before the bushes were timed the car felt like it was under tension, kind of like when walking on a diving board!! After the bushes were timed, the car now has a natural feel to it. The new springs are stiffer but the chassis tension feeling is not there any longer!

I had a print out of the post above and gave it to the alignment shop. They admitted that they never heard of this, but that it made sense to them. They charged me an extra $60 bucks and put settling the chassis on the invoice.

Thanks again for passing this knowledge on to us!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Don't you need to "trim" the bushes with a hedge trimmer before you time them?

Anyway, great info and support from Pete.

Nice for C5 Members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
I want to give thanks to JusticePete on stressing this point to us when dropping our Camaros.

Thanks!!

I had to drive my car for about a day before I could get into the alignment shop and the before and after feel of the car is night and day. Before the bushes were timed the car felt like it was under tension, kind of like when walking on a diving board!! After the bushes were timed, the car now has a natural feel to it. The new springs are stiffer but the chassis tension feeling is not there any longer!

I had a print out of the post above and gave it to the alignment shop. They admitted that they never heard of this, but that it made sense to them. They charged me an extra $60 bucks and put settling the chassis on the invoice.

Thanks again for passing this knowledge on to us!!