Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Next Gen Vetter Getting Better?

Some will say yes, some will say no....

Thoughts?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/03/n...te-to-get-awd/
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I don't want it to be RMR or AWD. If it stays FMR, then I'll be happy
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Elkyboy64
AKA Bishop73

Drives: '70 Chevelle 454SS
Send a message via AIM to Elkyboy64
I have nothing against AWD, but it just doesn't belong on a Vette imo.
Elkyboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
Why not? I think it will be a better move of gm if they do offer it!
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg107 View Post
Why not? I think it will be a better move of gm if they do offer it!
The FR layout is part of the Corvette heritage. If this wasn't being named the Corvette, or it was the first generation, then sure. But it's got a tradition. It's like making a 4500 lb. V12 Triumph Spitfire. Just doesn't fit.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
DCT?!?!? Official Documents!?!?! What, Where? WHERE AUTOBLOG, WHERE!!!

whoops, lost myself for a second...heehee...
Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
RichieFlorida

Drives: 69 SS Camaro Convertible
Chevy has a proven formula with the Vette. yes it will improve as it always has. In the end it will still be a front engine/rwd car. The 07 ZO6 is a nice car but they need to up the ante and with the fuel regs going to 35mpg Chevy has a tough task ahead. To date they have not decided if this will be for each car or a combined Chevy overall rating. It is up to the manufacturer to make that decision. In 4 years this federal mandate becomes law.

I feel they have to go with a Turbo for many reasons. This will solve most of there horsepower and economy problems and also keep them competitive with higher end cars. They already lost the title this year with the New Viper having 600hp and running very low 11's.
RichieFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The next gen corvette will have 3 wheels, weigh 1500 lbs, have a turbine engine making 1300 hp, and my sources are probably as reliable as those that wrote this article
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've heard and read rumors of mid-engine, dual-disc clutch, and AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieFlorida View Post
They already lost the title this year with the New Viper having 600hp and running very low 11's.
Viper better enjoy that title...Corvette "SS", "Stingray", or whatever they're calling it is coming.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
So would it be an impossible thought to imagine a AWD and a RWD Corvette? I know Porsche does it with the Carrera, so how would it be impossible with a Vette?
"But it's a Porsche"
Yeah, but GM is aiming for the same quality car aren't they?

I'm just saying, I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of tradition if it keeps the name alive and kicking ass.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
I understand the whole Vette=rwd but I guess I look at as something new and bring a next level to domestic supercars.

If anything, I'd hope they would atleast use this too make the Colorado/Canyon version of the Syclone and Typhoon with a turbo'ed I6!!! lol
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
If GM makes an AWD vette-- I'm tradin' my Camaro in! Especially if there's a toggle that lets you switch from RWD to AWD. I've seen too many vette's get left, right off the line by AWD imports and I think it's about time more cars from GM offered this option.

Besides, tradition goes out the window when you're staring at the back of your competitor.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Side View Post
So would it be an impossible thought to imagine a AWD and a RWD Corvette? I know Porsche does it with the Carrera, so how would it be impossible with a Vette?
"But it's a Porsche"
Yeah, but GM is aiming for the same quality car aren't they?

I'm just saying, I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of tradition if it keeps the name alive and kicking ass.
ahh, but the tradition of kicking ass is in doing things straight up, bare bones, no replacement for displacement, and basically 'old school' kinda way. There isn't supposed to be any finesse about the corvette. It ain't fancy but be dammed sure it works! Obviously there is lots of advanced engineering that goes into it. And im not trying to say that it is a lesser car. Little history lesson to make a point. In WWII the Germans built the most fearsome tanks, better protection, better guns, etc. They lost the war. Why? Because the almost as capable, easy to maintain, cheap to build Sherman overwhelmed them. THAT is good engineering. If you can get 90% of the functionality of something at 25-50% of the price, the engineer has done something right. To me, the Corvette is the perfect sports car because of all this. And then, after things have been developed and refined on the Corvette, the Camaro gets some of the performance goodies. To make it a mid engined, all wheel drive super car would destroy much of that. GM can make such a car and I have no problem with that, but don't call it a Corvette.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #14
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
Hey now, I didn't say mid-engined. I agree with you completely on that one. They can make a mid-engined car, but it won't be a corvette. I won't allow it. Haha.
And I won't necessarily like the idea of it being AWD if they do decide to do it. Although, if it is an option, and they do choose to take it, I would be hoping for a RWD version as well.
Trust me, I don't want them to change a thing with the Vette (I wouldn't complain about more power though). It's the car I would choose if I had the opportunity, but it is going to change eventually. I just hope for, at the least, a good midpoint between what they have now and what may be coming.
Just wanted to clarify, I think it's perfect the way it is. With these rumors of DOHC engines, I am starting to worry though. Who knows what other changes they'll make.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote