Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Lutz says GM considering 2.0-liter turbo for Camaro

This may or may not be old news to some, but thought i wouldd post it any way.

Lutz says GM considering 2.0-liter turbo for Camaro
Filed under: New York Auto Show, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Green, Chevrolet

A four-banger in a Camaro! Blasphemy you say? Could be, but what four-pot are we talking about? In this case, the General's car czar Bob Lutz suggests that the new 2010 Camaro due next February could offer the same 2.0 liter direct-injected engine used in the Saturn Sky Redline, Pontiac Solstice GXP and the SS versions of the Chevy HHR and Cobalt. Before dismissing the turbo-four immediately, consider the top-of-the-line engine options the Camaro offered after the last oil-embargo-driven doomsday. In '72, the big block 402 engine offered just 240 horsepower; in '73, the Z28 was equipped with a 245-horse 350 and by '75 the hottest option underhood made only 155 horses. Ouch. The 2.0 being considered for the Camaro punches out 260 horsepower, and based on our time with the engine, you feel each of them as you run up towards the redline. The next step-up will likely be a version of GM's 3.6, as offered in the CTS and G8, also making around 260 horsepower.

Other Camaro tidbits mentioned by Lutz: it will be priced higher than the Mustang, as GM sees the Camaro as a higher-end offering. Specifically, Lutz suggests that the Camaro will feature a much better interior than the 'Stang, along with its inherently better independent rear-suspension arrangement.

Perhaps a bigger question to ponder is how bad will the performance industry be impacted by new fuel efficiency standards along with the ever-tightening emissions regulations. Just so long as carmakers such as GM continue to offer engine options like their 2.0 liter DI four-banger, the performance drop-off won't be nearly as drastic as it was back in the mid-70s. Thank God for that!
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
This is way old news. The Camaro won't be getting this engine. Not now, anyways.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
13F20

Old news. This is a first for me to read. If this is old news i must be one slow SOB. Working behind the power curve. lol,lol,lol.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah def old news, but that doesn't matter.

I don't see it happening. While the concept of it sounds sweet. The Camaro is way too heavy for the LNF in it to be fuel efficient. Maybe if the Camaro weighed 300lbs-500lbs less then maybe...

The 3.6L DI, VVT 300hp engine gives it 19/26mpg which for the size of the Camaro is probably the best we'll see.

I'm not dogging the LNF what-so-ever. I think it's an amazing engine, but The Camaro is too heavy for it....

Not to mention it would be really slow...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They won't be putting THIS 4-banger into it. But they're considering others.

The quest for a MORE fuel-efficient Camaro has NOT been put to bed at all...so stay tuned on that front.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Yeah def old news, but that doesn't matter.

I don't see it happening. While the concept of it sounds sweet. The Camaro is way too heavy for the LNF in it to be fuel efficient. Maybe if the Camaro weighed 300lbs-500lbs less then maybe...

The 3.6L DI, VVT 300hp engine gives it 19/26mpg which for the size of the Camaro is probably the best we'll see.

I'm not dogging the LNF what-so-ever. I think it's an amazing engine, but The Camaro is too heavy for it....

Not to mention it would be really slow...
It would be considerably more fuel efficient. Don't forget how much weight would be lost just by swapping that engine.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
13F20

As far a being fuel efficient. How do you think every one would react if Chevrolet made an engine that was an electric twin turbo combustion engine that ran off of ethanol 96 and constantly recharged its own power supply?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
I think I may have said something like this awhile back...that was right before my public stoning and hanging though.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
As far a being fuel efficient. How do you think every one would react if Chevrolet made an engine that was an electric twin turbo combustion engine that ran off of ethanol 96 and constantly recharged its own power supply?
I think we would all ask, how?

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 09-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
It would be considerably more fuel efficient. Don't forget how much weight would be lost just by swapping that engine.
Very true... I wonder if anyone here knows the weight difference between the LS3, V6, & LNF? Maybe if the Camaro weighed in @ under 3500lbs with that engine could it get some decent mileage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
IF Chevy made an engine that was an electric twin turbo combustion engine that ran off of ethanol and recharged it's own power supply, not only would I jizz my pants, but I'd buy whatever car it came in...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
electric turbos are sold in OZ....no-one does it here...not sure why...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
13F20

ya I think just about every one would jizz them self.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
13F20

your life sucks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
I think I may have said something like this awhile back...that was right before my public stoning and hanging though.
WTF:stoned and hanged. This sound like another Catholic Inquisition for the modern engine.

quoniam punitio non refertur primo & per se in correctionem & bonum eius qui punitur, sed in bonum publicum ut alij terreantur, & a malis committendis avocentur

Latin translated: for punishment does not take place primarily and per se for the correction and good of the person punished, but for the public good in order that others may become terrified and weaned away from the evils they would commit
Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
electric turbos are sold in OZ....no-one does it here...not sure why...
I've seen webpages selling electric fans that are alleged to add power, but every one I have seen has been cheap junk that could only reduce power.

Can you share a link to something that doesn't suck? I like the idea of being able to time shift the load by using a battery to run the blower at WOT and then recharge it when when you are cruising or braking.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote