Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
The most retarded statement I've seen on this website in a while.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #30
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
By your logicthey could appeal to you even MORE by boosting a 2 cylinder or 1 cylinder to match the power of a n/a 4 or better it. Think of the awesome mileage it would get AND how much more attention grabbing the exhaust note would be, especially tooling through the neighborhoods at midnight at 30MPH in first gear only.

I assume the aftermarket would be even better as well by extrapolating your aftermarket logic.
Sincerest apologies for the confusion, I must have lost you in the first few words of my post. No need to feel embarrassed, these things do happen. May I recommend this program to you so we can avoid future confusion?

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-english

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 08-03-2012 at 04:06 AM.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #31
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
The most retarded statement I've seen on this website in a while.
You have to consider the source... he makes these statements on a regular basis... I think he secretly lusts after my EcoBoost... he always bashing the EcoBoost and saying how "gay" it is... you know that old saying, about those that protest the loudest... Come on Big Hammer, it's time for you to come out of the closet! It's ok.. I won't judge you for wanting more HP and Torque than you get with your WS6's "awesome" V8....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #32
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
The Ecoboost redlines at just 6500. The 5.0 redlines at 6800. It seems like the v6 would rev a lot higher.
No real need to spin that high... with the twin turbos there is plenty of power down low... this is at least in the 3.5 V6 EB... The Mustang however will be getting the I-4 EB... doubt the V6 would ever show up in the Mustang... at least not anytime soon..

my dyno sheet: (Stock tune, LMS tune and LMS tune plus methanol)

Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #33
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
If they can up the boost on the ecoboost 4 to match the power of their 6 or better it, why would anyone want the n/a v6 instead? N/A v6s are in a very strange place. With a boosted 4 you can make more torque earlier and get better gas mileage. Plus, a boosted 4 is way better for the aftermarket than an n/a 6.
Only reason I can think of buying an N/A 6 vs EB 4 would be cost... some people do buy cars simply for the looks and don't care about performance... But yes, agree with what you are saying about a EB I-4 vs a N/A V6...

Our Flex is actually my wife's DD... i test drove the NA V6 and it was fine... it was certainly peppy enough for the wife! But then I drove the EB version... Was quite a bit more $$$ than the NA one, but I knew I would kick myself if I didn't' go with the EB!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #34
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadis View Post
6500 redline indicates Ecoboost?
Nothing really indicates anything. It's pre-production, and a long way from being done. At this point, everything there may very well be cobbled together from everything else for had on the parts shelf except what is in the pipeline for the Mustang.

Quote:
It looks like they want some sort of version of their 2.0 DI 4-popper turbo in the thing in a costly and valiant (but futile) attempt to mitigate the damage of the new CAFE regs as much as possible, while simultaneously making a lateral market transition into the overcrowded import space.
I don't want to get into a CAFE discussion (because I'd probably be in trouble by the end of it)....but, with the next Mustang being a "world" car, it is my fear that Ford may change the car's mission, and turn it into something closer to a hot-hatch than a pony/muscle car. Keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
If they can up the boost on the ecoboost 4 to match the power of their 6 or better it, why would anyone want the n/a v6 instead? N/A v6s are in a very strange place. With a boosted 4 you can make more torque earlier and get better gas mileage. Plus, a boosted 4 is way better for the aftermarket than an n/a 6.
Reason I'd rather have the N/A V6 is it would be cheaper and be more durable/cheaper repair wise in the long run. And even if there is a fuel economy gain (I won't necessarily assume there would be) is probably at best just enough to break even with higher price of premium.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that turbos don't have a place, and I agree with you that they have superior torque curves, and have some advantages over N/A. I've driven an F-150 Ecoboost, and from a power and torque standpoint, it is impressive. All I'm saying is that they have disadvantages as well that make them not for me. I'd rather have the exhaust note of a V6 (better yet, a V8), I'd rather save the upfront cost, and as someone who tends to keep cars for the long haul, I'd rather not have to worry about a potential $2000+ turbo job when the car is middle aged.

I'd have no problem if the EcoBoost 4 where an OPTION in the Mustang. I just don't want it to completely replace the V6. Nor do I want Ford to jack up the price of the non-EcoBoost lineup to pay for it, or in an attempt to discourage the people from getting the V6, as they have already done before with other, non-Ecoboost cars.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #35
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Nothing really indicates anything. It's pre-production, and a long way from being done. At this point, everything there may very well be cobbled together from everything else for had on the parts shelf except what is in the pipeline for the Mustang.

I don't want to get into a CAFE discussion (because I'd probably be in trouble by the end of it)....but, with the next Mustang being a "world" car, it is my fear that Ford may change the car's mission, and turn it into something closer to a hot-hatch than a pony/muscle car. Keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Reason I'd rather have the N/A V6 is it would be cheaper and be more durable/cheaper repair wise in the long run. And even if there is a fuel economy gain (I won't necessarily assume there would be) is probably at best just enough to break even with higher price of premium.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that turbos don't have a place, and I agree with you that they have superior torque curves, and have some advantages over N/A. I've driven an F-150 Ecoboost, and from a power and torque standpoint, it is impressive. All I'm saying is that they have disadvantages as well that make them not for me. I'd rather have the exhaust note of a V6 (better yet, a V8), I'd rather save the upfront cost, and as someone who tends to keep cars for the long haul, I'd rather not have to worry about a potential $2000+ turbo job when the car is middle aged.

I'd have no problem if the EcoBoost 4 where an OPTION in the Mustang. I just don't want it to completely replace the V6. Nor do I want Ford to jack up the price of the non-EcoBoost lineup to pay for it, or in an attempt to discourage the people from getting the V6, as they have already done before with other, non-Ecoboost cars.
Why do you think an I-4 EB would be less durable? Watch the EB torture test video... I can only assume the I-4 EB version is built pretty tough... Looking forward to seeing how well the Focus ST does!

BTW, my EB runs fine on 87. It does NOT require premium... of course it has more potential on premium but it doesn't require it... Again, i'm assuming the I-4 EB will be the same...

As for exhaust note, i was actually surprised how nice the exhaust note is on my Mini... I think an I-4 EB will sound pretty good!

I doubt Ford would jack the price up on the NA V6... My guess is the I-4 EB will just be a more expensive engine option..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #36
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Why do you think an I-4 EB would be less durable? Watch the EB torture test video... I can only assume the I-4 EB version is built pretty tough... Looking forward to seeing how well the Focus ST does!
I'm not worried about the engine, it's the turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I doubt Ford would jack the price up on the NA V6... My guess is the I-4 EB will just be a more expensive engine option..
They did it with the 2010-12 Fusion. The wanted to encourage people to buy the 4-cyl to help their CAFE average, so they charged $2500 for the 3.0L V6 as a stand alone option.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #37
DeAdMiKe187

Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Not a fan of any aspect of that interior. Too many buttons, ugly steering wheel, small screen, no center AC vents, and more ridiculous buttons.
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I'm not worried about the engine, it's the turbos.

They did it with the 2010-12 Fusion. The wanted to encourage people to buy the 4-cyl to help their CAFE average, so they charged $2500 for the 3.0L V6 as a stand alone option.
couple early issues with the early EB's with oil return lines leaking on a few cars, so there is a TSB for that... but other then that these little turbos seem to be very solid... have you watched the torture tests?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAdMiKe187 View Post
Not a fan of any aspect of that interior. Too many buttons, ugly steering wheel, small screen, no center AC vents, and more ridiculous buttons.
as others have said, the interior seems to be mock up made from left over parts.... doubtful this is anywhere near the final degsign...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Looks like Ford is copying the ass looking steering wheels from GM.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #41
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAdMiKe187 View Post
You do realize this is a mock up test mule right? I mean you can see velcro patches, and giants gaps in the iterior where stuff is just tacked on for testing.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #42
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
there is going to be an ecgayboost mustang.
Quote:
By your logic they could appeal to you even MORE by boosting a 2 cylinder or 1 cylinder to match the power of a n/a 4 or better it. Think of the awesome mileage it would get AND how much more attention grabbing the exhaust note would be, especially tooling through the neighborhoods at midnight at 30MPH in first gear only.

I assume the aftermarket would be even better as well by extrapolating your aftermarket logic.
Just