Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
Pfadt Stage 4 suspension feedback - SS M6 car

I've got a Pfadt Stage 4 suspension package on the way that Vengeance Racing is going to install (hopefully next week).

I've seen a lot of feedback on the stage 3 package, but I haven't found so much on the stage 4 performance.

Ideally, when the new Boss 302 Mustang comes out I would like to think I can beat it on the roadcourse or dragstrip. How do you guys think this setup should compare to the new Boss Mustang?

I've never had a car with a serious suspension before and my SS is not my daily driver. I really am excited about the idea of a car that I can drive to the dragstrip or road course and then drive it back home.

My last Dragstrip visit to Atlanta Dragway was a disaster with 2.3 60 ft times and bad wheel hop problems. My car has a Comp Cam 227/239 and ARH full exhaust system. 456rwhp. Best of 12.99 et and 115.5mph

Does anyone have any feedback on successful Pfadt coil-over settings for the Drag Strip combined with tire pressures / launch RPM etc...? I'll still be on stock Pirellis for awhile - any tire pressure recommendations?. Based on having a bit of extra power is there anything that should be changed from Pfadts suggested 2-front, 5-rear?

Also, over the long-term, I'll be planning on doing more track days at Road Atlanta than dragracing. I'm planning on wearing out these stock Pirellis before upgrading to some more aggressive rubber. Any tire pressure recommendations....coilover setting recommendations etc...

I would love to see any feedback from other drivers with the Pfadt stage 4 package.

Last edited by JMAC2011; 05-20-2011 at 05:21 AM.
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hey Jmac! We haven't been able to really play with the new Mustang, but my feeling is that given equivalent drivers a Pfadt Stage 4 Camaro should be able to dispatch a Boss 302. The drags will be pretty close since your car and a Boss 302 seem to be within about 20hp of each other, but on the road course we feel like you would have a pretty nice advantage over the Mustang competition.

I think what you're going to find is that the stock Pirellis are holding you back at the strip and definitely on the road course. For road course use they will be good to learn on since you will probably be more focused on lines and technique than all out performance cornering speed, but you will want to upgrade pretty quickly once you become more familiar with the car.

We've got feedback for the stage 5 package recently from our friends at Richard Childress Racing. They drove their Stage5 5th gen from North Carolina all the way to Phoenix this year for Camaro5Fest. They were very impressed with how composed the car was on the 2000 mile journey, then got the car immediately out to the Road Course on Friday, then spent most of Saturday at the autox and the drag strip. Sunday they hopped back in the car and drove another 2000 miles back home to North Carolina.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
What rubber are you using on the strip? Stock tires? I would get yourself some nice fat Nitto drag radials, and drop your rear wheels down to 18". Then possibly (depending on the temp/humidity) drop your tire pressure in the back to around low 20s for better grip.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
Right now the tires are just stock. I'm about 1/2 way through the rear tires. I don't think it makes a lot of "financial sense" to replace them until they need to be replaced, but when I do I want to go with a stickier tire that will work primarily on the road track and secondarily on the drag strip. I would like to stick with the factory wheels...but damn those wheels on the car above look awesome - what are they?

Any tire suggestions? I'm considering Nitto Invo's at the moment.

Does anyone make a reproduction of the factory rim that is wider so I can get some more rubber under the car?

Pfadt...do you really think my car would be close in power to the Boss. I was thinking that the Boss was supposed to be rated at 444HP (at the crank) as opposed to my 456 (rear wheels). I was thinking the Boss was probably a bit under-rated, but that my car should be making about 60 to 70 more rear wheel horsepower. I could be wrong....

Last edited by JMAC2011; 05-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
Right now the tires are just stock. I'm about 1/2 way through the rear tires. I don't think it makes a lot of "financial sense" to replace them until they need to be replaced, but when I do I want to go with a stickier tire that will work primarily on the road track and secondarily on the drag strip. I would like to stick with the factory wheels...but damn those wheels on the car above look awesome - what are they?

Any tire suggestions? I'm considering Nitto Invo's at the moment.

Does anyone make a reproduction of the factory rim that is wider so I can get some more rubber under the car?

Pfadt...do you really think my car would be close in power to the Boss. I was thinking that the Boss was supposed to be rated at 444HP (at the crank) as opposed to my 456 (rear wheels). I was thinking the Boss was probably a bit under-rated, but that my car should be making about 60 to 70 more rear wheel horsepower. I could be wrong....
Sorry, I was thinking it was all about equal given the power/weight ratios. But that would still technically put your car at a slight advantage in that field (8.5lbs/ hp).

I would take a look at the Toyo R888s if you were looking for something track oriented! But I am not sure they would be my first choice for tire life....

/blair
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote