Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
TommyKing

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Weak Electrical

2010 RS V6

I installed a temporary amp with a couple subs until I can afford everything I need for my new system. The problem is it seems like the car can't handle any extra electric load at all. I've ran 2 of the amps I am using with 2 subs that take twice the power of the current 2 I just put in, with an extra amp powering front and rear components in previous cars no problem.

Just with this one amp that I've had to tune way down the car is freaking out. I used a line out converter for the signal which I've never used before. I was thinking this could be the problem, I'm not sure though. The car's electrical will shut off then turn on instantly. The voltage will shoot up to 15.3 before it never went above 14.4. And when I turn the car off it is completely dead. I can't even take my keys out.

I hooked a battery charger to the battery when I drive around and besides insane light dimming it seems to be producing just enough power to keep it from going all the way off. So, I can listen to it that way. This seems pretty insane though. I've had much higher amperage loads in cars with much smaller alternators without anything more than some slight dimming.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Camaro?

[Edit] Car won't start at all now. It's acting like the battery is completely dead no lights or anything coming on. Multi-meter shows the battery is completely charged though. Hooking the battery charger to the hot side and ground point on the car lets the lights come on but won't let it start. Hooking the charger to the negative battery terminal instead of the ground bolt does absolutely nothing, lights won't come on. This is pretty crazy it's the 30+ car I've installed audio equipment in and the first one that's ever caused problems.

Last edited by TommyKing; 04-05-2018 at 08:53 PM.
TommyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Parasitic draw somewhere in your set up.
My car has one and its off to the dealer tomorrow.
I haven't been able to trace it. No multimeter though.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
I’m running 3k watts on a fully loaded SS with zero issues. Stock alt, stock batt...
Old 04-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Probably have a crappy connection. Check the positive terminal ( NOT the one on the top, the one to the left )

Probably a really bad connection
Attached Images

•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
TommyKing

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Probably have a crappy connection. Check the positive terminal ( NOT the one on the top, the one to the left )

Probably a really bad connection
It was actually that washer on the ground that was loose. Strange because I never loosened it. So, I'm guessing it was already loose and me throwing the cable around and vibration eventually got it to the point it wasn't even connected. Everything works great now. I figured it was something with the ground, but didn't think to check something I didn't touch to begin with. There's hardly any noticeable dim or anything, I'm happy.
TommyKing is offline   Reply With Quote