Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southcentral

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
tbarber87

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Rally Stripes
March - Oklahoma Meet

Okay guys, time to start planning again. As a few of you know, I feel aweful at the way lunch turned out last weekend, with the way our numbers have grown, only restaurants with some kind of separate seeting area that we can reserve will do. That being said, I had originally hoped to go to Pops for March, but knowing it may still be (maybe) too chilly to sit outside, I'm not really wanting to take the risk. Someone mentioned driving up to Mt. Scott. This is located in/near Lawton, OK. I would appreciate it if someone from this area or anyone who has visited before could give me a bit of info about the location and what is near by. I assume we would meet somewhere in Lawton with groups traveling in together from Tulsa, OKC, etc. Just need to know if this is somewhere we can stop at the top and have a picnic type thing or if we should all gather and eat before or afterwards.

Thanks guys!
tbarber87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Tosha what info do you need? I live in Lawton.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Visit Google Maps and search for "Mount Scott Oklahoma." Click the "Satellite" button and then start zooming in. There is a LOT of parking at the top. Funny, I've been up there a million times and have taken tons of photos, but never took one of the parking area! The road leading to the peak is on the south side of the mountain and at the base is a section with picnic tables (the road that is on the south side of Hwy 49.)

The wildlife refuge is west of I-44 and a few miles north of Lawton. It would probably be best to meet between 44 & the refuge instead of going all the way to Lawton and then having to backtrack. While your on the Google Map, click the "Search Nearby" link and search for restaurants. Meers Store & Restaurant is a popular place and Fisherman's Cove has some very good seafood.
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Coop

The Meers Restaurant will not be able to handle all of our cars. They are packed on weekends so unfortunately I would not try there plus their parking lot is not that big. There is a Loves truck stop right off 44 (the exit you need to take to get to the refuge and Mt Scott) that everyone could meet at then drive up to Mt Scott. What would be cool is if we could get everybody to drive on to Fort Sill and take a picture at the outside displays. The only thing you need is a drivers license and insurance to get on unless you already have a military sticker (like me).
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Ramsey
Ramsey

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
The Meers Restaurant will not be able to handle all of our cars. They are packed on weekends so unfortunately I would not try there plus their parking lot is not that big. There is a Loves truck stop right off 44 (the exit you need to take to get to the refuge and Mt Scott) that everyone could meet at then drive up to Mt Scott. What would be cool is if we could get everybody to drive on to Fort Sill and take a picture at the outside displays. The only thing you need is a drivers license and insurance to get on unless you already have a military sticker (like me).
Fort Sill would be bomb. Cruise from Mt. Scott to Fort Sill. and maybe stop at a restaurant on the way or in between those two locations. It's been forever since I've been to Lawton. Last time was when a few buddies of mine and I went 2 Night Trips for Cole's 21st.
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Coop

We have the usual restaurants (Chili's, Applebees, Golden Corral, etc) but nothing directly off the Hwy except Cracker Barrel.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Ramsey
Ramsey

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM
Quote:
We have the usual restaurants (Chili's, Applebees, Golden Corral, etc) but nothing directly off the Hwy except Cracker Barrel.
well then... does someone wanna bring out the barbecue grills and just cook out??? Just kidding. we got a month to figure something out. throw out idea's for two weeks, then make the official decision what we're doing. So we can dwell on the final decision for two more weeks...
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
mamaro

Drives: '10 IOM 2LT/RS M6
We can come up with something. I have some ideas, but need to do some scoping out on parking availability.

How many of us live in this area?

I've seen a lot of new Camaros around here lately, but no one seems to be friendly. I always wave or honk and wave when I see one, and they just look at me, or don't. I'm sure I'm known as the crazy old lady in the orange Camaro.
mamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Coop

Where do you live mamaro? I thought I was the only one from Lawton on here.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
I lived in Lawton for a few years but thats been a long time a go. Last year we did a motorcycle cruise to Mt Scott but there was just a few of us. I agree, Meers would not be able to handle all of us. I seem to recall just a Burger King with big parking lot outside of Medicine Park. I would prefer to hit Mt Scott later in the spring when it's all green but I its not about me Maybe we can just go twice! Maybe one of the local guys can get Chili's or the like to commit to our group.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
tbarber87

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Rally Stripes
All of this sounds great Keep shootin ideas and as said before, we can decide later in the month I'm all for cooking out, great bonding time for the group But its whatever
tbarber87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
mamaro

Drives: '10 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Where do you live mamaro? I thought I was the only one from Lawton on here.
I live in Cache. I thought there were several more from the Lawton area on here.
mamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
I am from Lawton and know the Mt Scott area very well. There is a great place in Medicine Park that could accommodate us. It is called "The Old Plantation". They sit right on the river (just after the dam at Lake Lawtonka) just a mile or 2 east of Mt Scott. In fact, you have a great view of Mt Scott from there. We could start out meeting at Loves and then all travel to Old Plan... from there (about 10 min drive). Then cruise up the mountain and maybe through the rest of the wildlife refuge where you are sure to see some buffalo, longhorn, and other animals. There is plenty of open road and traffic is not bad. It should be very easy to keep in a group, unlike last week!

I would not mind contacting the OP if this is what the group wants to do. I promise, this would be a great place to meet.

Chris
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
also...

I know Ft Sill would be fun but the reality is, it would be a real hassle. Getting on and off Post without a military ID has been very difficult since 9/11. Those without stickers (I assume all of most of us) would have to check in at the gate and be subject to search. The police are VERY strict and tickets are literally handed out for 1MPH over the speed limit. I am a military brat so I can relate to this, lol. Speed limits are 15 MPH in alot of places and no more than 40 anywhere else.

Not trying to hate on Ft Sill, just think we have much better opportunities for a successful meet in the wildlife refuge.
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote