Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Quartermile

Drives: 2011 2SS
Unhappy Starting to get noise complaints.

For the last couple of months my neighbors have been dropping hints about my loud exhaust. I want to have the go “F” yourself attitude but my neighbors are probably some of the nicest people you could have for neighbors and that’s why this bothers me. It’s three different homes dropping hints. One to my left and two directly across from me. One of them is a LEO. The other is an airline pilot. We all go out for drinks, we spend holidays together, my wife goes out with their wives. We all have a great time together. I don’t want to be “that guy” with the annoying car ruining the neighborhood. But this is my hobby. This is what I enjoy doing. For the last couple of months all three sets of neighbors have been dropping hints like.

Could it get any louder?
I better get my sleep in before you head off to work.
Time to get some sound proof windows.
Ever consider buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle?
Maybe you should get another car and alternate every now and then.

I’ve heard louder cars than mine. But I will admit, long tube headers and a CAM doesn’t sound so good and 7:00AM when I head off to work. The LEO and airline pilot both work nights. So when I leave for work they’re sound asleep. I actually cringe when I start the car up. Sometimes I even start it with the garage door closed then open it immediately. I really want to stay on everyone’s good side and continue our great relationship. But de-modding my car, which I have spent thousands on just to make them happy just seems absurd to me. What would you do? Any suggestions?

MY MODS

LSR CAI, LG Motorsport LT Headers & Exhaust, High flow cats, Custom Comp Cam, Comp Pushrods, LS7 Lifters, LS3 Head Bolts, NGK Plugs, MLS Head Gaskets, FAST LSX-R Intake, FAST Billet Fuel Rails, Patriot Extreme 650 Lift Dual Valve Springs-w Titanium Retainers, DOD/VVT Delete, L99 to LS3 Conversion.

Last edited by Quartermile; 06-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Quartermile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
doesn't Magnaflow have "hushpower" mufflers? Maybe look into those? And for when you want the sound, you can install exhaust cutouts. I wouldn't de-tune anything. Just mufflers that actually muffle
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That's a tough one for sure. I would say if your friends with them it sounds like they're joking around more than being serious. On the other hand if you end up pissed the Cop off it could be very bad for you. Maybe you should talk to them and ask if it is really upsetting them or if they are just giving you some fancy ribbing.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
I would ask them if it seriously bothers them and explain your side. I can understand them wanting to be able to sleep, but you cant run your life by their schedule. Especially if you work at 7. Thats a normal working time. I say sucks for them to have to work at night. Just my opinion
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Quartermile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
doesn't Magnaflow have "hushpower" mufflers? Maybe look into those? And for when you want the sound, you can install exhaust cutouts. I wouldn't de-tune anything. Just mufflers that actually muffle
I have LG Motorsport mufflers which actually sound pretty tame until you get on it. I think the problem is my CAM :(
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Caminsky

Drives: 2001 Z28 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
For the last couple of months my neighbors are starting to drop hints about my loud exhaust. I want to have the go “F” yourself attitude but my neighbors are probably some of the nicest people you could have for neighbors and that’s why this bothers me. It’s three different homes dropping hints. One to my left and two directly across from me. One of them is a LEO. The other is an airline pilot. We all go out for drinks, we spend holidays together, my wife goes out with their wives. We all have a great time together. I don’t want to be “that guy” with the annoying car ruining the neighborhood. But this is my hobby. This is what I enjoy doing. For the last couple of months all three sets of neighbors have been dropping hints like.

Could it get any louder?
I better get my sleep in before you head off to work.
Time to get some sound proof windows.
Ever consider buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle.
Maybe you should get another car and alternate every now and then.

I’ve heard louder cars than mine. But I will admit, long tube headers and a CAM doesn’t sound so good and 7:00AM when I head off to work. The LEO and airline pilot both work nights. So when I leave for work they’re sound asleep. I actually cringe when I start the car up. Sometimes I even start it with the garage door closed then open it immediately. I really want to stay on everyone’s good side and continue our great relationship. But de-modding my car, which I have spent thousands on just to make them happy just seems absurd to me. What would you do? Any suggestions?
You might not have to replace the entire system, maybe just use a quieter cat back, and if you don't have cats look into some high flow cats. I was running a VERY loud setup in my LS1 (LT's, o/r TSP true duals), but after I bought a house in a nice neighborhood, I decided I probably shouldn't be "that guy" and I took off the LT's (I needed to anyways they were crappy pacesetters and were causing all sorts of problems) and put in a catted mid-pipe with a Borla cat back. You might not even have to do all that though, look into catbacks (or just swap in some other mufflers) to see if you can tame it a little.

All said, telling them to go to hell might be fun, but probably a pretty bad solution (especially the for the LEO). There is something to be said about getting along with your neighbors as the crazy ones can make your life a living hell.
Caminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Quartermile

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's a tough one for sure. I would say if your friends with them it sounds like they're joking around more than being serious. On the other hand if you end up pissed the Cop off it could be very bad for you. Maybe you should talk to them and ask if it is really upsetting them or if they are just giving you some fancy ribbing.
I thought they were just playing around once. But after bringing it up several times I'm pretty sure they're serious.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwhiteman View Post
I would ask them if it seriously bothers them and explain your side. I can understand them wanting to be able to sleep, but you cant run your life by their schedule. Especially if you work at 7. Thats a normal working time. I say sucks for them to have to work at night. Just my opinion
+1

They could just be screwing with you, but you'd never know unless you asked. Hmm, could you like put a mute on the exhaust tips? This is just a crazy idea so let me explain before you judge. A lot of brass instruments use a mute (it's basically a giant plunger) that they put into their horns or whatever when they need to play softer. Couldn't you do the same thing? Just remember to take them out right after you start the car.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Bass notes travel quite a ways and have the tendency to really vibrate stuff.. I know most of my cars with larger V8s and the right type of exhaust have been known to rattle glass and walls.. Depending on your neighborhood, maybe you're really putting off that much sound..

In the city, I don't get it too much with all the other noise -- but, I can tell you that at idle in the back of our little 8 unit apt complex, it'll rattle anything near it and it's very noticeable inside -- especially at night..

Hell, I hear the G35 and its stock exhaust coming and going.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
I'd explain it to them exactly like you did to us here. People are far more willing to be truthful and polite about a situation if you bring it up to them. Just say you don't want to be a dick and you'd really like to know if it really is a bother. If you end up changing your car it's going to cost you a lot of money to do so and it would suck to make the investment without a legitimate complaint.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Caminsky

Drives: 2001 Z28 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
I have LG Motorsport mufflers which actually sound pretty tame until you get on it. I think the problem is my CAM :(
Try looking through the exhaust sticky in the bolt ons section, and listening to different setups that might sound more reserved than yours. I have to imagine that theres a L/T + Cam setup out there somewhere that isn't crazy loud. In the meantime maybe mention to your neighbors that you're looking into a more quiet exhaust, that may get them off your back for awhile.
Caminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Quartermile

Trust me guys, they're not just screwing around. These are my mods

LSR CAI, LG Motorsport LT Headers & Exhaust, High flow cats, Custom Comp Cam, Comp Pushrods, LS7 Lifters, LS3 Head Bolts, NGK Plugs, MLS Head Gaskets, FAST LSX-R Intake, FAST Billet Fuel Rails, Patriot Extreme 650 Lift Dual Valve Springs-w Titanium Retainers, DOD/VVT Delete, L99 to LS3 Conversion.

Last edited by Quartermile; 06-20-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp01 View Post
I'd explain it to them exactly like you did to us here. People are far more willing to be truthful and polite about a situation if you bring it up to them. Just say you don't want to be a dick and you'd really like to know if it really is a bother. If you end up changing your car it's going to cost you a lot of money to do so and it would suck to make the investment without a legitimate complaint.

I'd definitely point out that you're willing to entertain changes, but they need to understand that you need to know if it's a serious deal or not, but it is going to cost you money.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would suggest Magnaflow Street 2.5 catback exhaust. This is the quietest catback exhaust I know of. It has the two regular magnaflow mufflers plus their resonated X pipe.
I run this catback on my car because of the same reasons you mentioned. I live in a pretty affluent area with very nice neighbors (mostly surgeons).

A cam just increases the noise level, and I'm sure you neighbors don't like being waken up every morning when you start your car up.

SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote