Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Air Compressor question

For those of you that have an air compressor at home or have experience with air compressors. I'm looking to purchase one this Christmas so i'm doing a little research.

I would only be using it for air tools while I work on my motorcycle and my cars, grinders, sanders and tools of that nature, also to operate a motorcycle lift (whenever I end up buying one.) The place where I'm renting now only has 120V. Whenever I buy a house I plan on making my garage 240V.

My neighbor recommended the brand Campbell Hausfeld, I had never heard of it until he mentioned it. It's got some pretty good reviews and evidently it's built in the USA (which should help with the quality). Any of you guys have any experience with this brand?

My neighbor recommended 2 horse power motor and 20 gallons. What do you guys think? Would that be enough for what I plan on using it for? For a few extra bucks I can get a 16 gallon or a 30 gallon unit. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also I've seen 1 satge and 2 stage motors. not sure what that means.

I've also seen where different models advertise that they output 5.5 CFM @ 90 psi or 10.2 CFM @ 90 psi. I have no idea what that means. Can anyone help?

here is a link to the model I"m looking at .

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...r/p85.html#q_a

thanks guys.

Last edited by Alain; 12-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
I got a 30 gallon Husky air compressor at Home Depot and it works very well for what I use it for
Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Alain

Thank you for the reply sir. What kind of use do you use it for?

Do you do much grinding? or just impact guns and wrenches?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Take a look at the CFM requirements for the tools you want to use, then add at least 20% extra capacity for the compressor. Sanders, grinders and any "constant use" tools hog a LOT of CFM. I have used predominantly an 80gal craftsman professional 2-stage compressor (requires 220v). I forget the CFM it's capable of, but I've never had any issues with sanders, die grinders, paint guns, impact wrenches, saws, needle scalers, etc. A 2-stage compressor will cost more, but is quieter and will last longer. Good luck!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Thank you for the reply sir. What kind of use do you use it for?

Do you do much grinding? or just impact guns and wrenches?
I use it mostly with an impact wrench and air chuck, and I have an air grinder that I use occasionally. Its worked really good
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
The bigger the tank the better, especially if you want to use sanders and other tools that stay on. Your motor will run less that way. Don't get anything less than 5CFM@90psi if you run those types of tools, the more the better. Definitely look up the ratings for what you plan on buying. The biggest CFM hog is a sand blaster which likes over 9CFM@90psi.

I;m stuck with 120V because I move too much and can't install a circuit in rentals. Yours friends recommendation is low for sanders/grinder. I'd look for over 4hp, 2 stage since you're ok with 220V, and above 6CFM which isn't tough to find in a 2-stage, and definitely over 30 gallon. It can handle whatever you throw at it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Alain

Well I did some more research.

Thinking about my needs more I've realized that in not gonna be doing any sanding (if I do ill us an electric one). So the most continuos use I would put it through would be quick grind job or cutting a small-medium size piece of metal. Along with changing tires on vehicles and such.

I'm leaning towards a model with 10 CFM. Now my issue is trying to find one that is 120V.

Are there any models that run 10CFM but only require 120V?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Synner

Unlikely unless you go gas powered. And you won't need 10CFM if you've reduced your tool desires.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Unlikely unless you go gas powered. And you won't need 10CFM if you've reduced your tool desires.
No need for 10 CFM for impact guns? What's the lowest you advice? 5 CFM
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Well I did some more research.

Thinking about my needs more I've realized that in not gonna be doing any sanding (if I do ill us an electric one). So the most continuos use I would put it through would be quick grind job or cutting a small-medium size piece of metal. Along with changing tires on vehicles and such.

I'm leaning towards a model with 10 CFM. Now my issue is trying to find one that is 120V.

Are there any models that run 10CFM but only require 120V?
It's going to be hard to finding that if you are talking 10cfm @ 90PSI. The problem is 2HP is about as close as you can go with a motor and still run on a 20amp 115v circuit and any compressor below 2Hp isn't going to give you 10CFM@90PSI. Some 2Hp motors won't even handle running on a 20amp circuit at 115v and manufacturers know that 20am circuits @ 115v is all the most homes are equip to handle. Also, short burst air tools require less Air. if you get a compressor with a larger tank, but a lower cfm rating you will be able to run most short burst air tools like impact guns and air nailer. When you want to run rotary tools or sand blasting equipment that's when you need lots of air because the compressor needs to be able to keep up with the tool you are using.

Last edited by motorhead; 12-10-2013 at 08:47 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Synner

Yeah 5-6 is good for most but some will be air hogs, and that should be doable in a single stage 120V. Beyond that and compressors begin to get more expensive as well. Although I just got an electric to avoid turning the compressor on and I can take it with me to peoples houses when i get asked for favors.

If you want something that will last forever here would be my recommendation. More money than a Campbell H but built incredibly well.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5221_200375221
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Kvnshphrd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Summit White)
Quote:
For those of you that have an air compressor at home or have experience with air compressors. I'm looking to purchase one this Christmas so i'm doing a little research.

I would only be using it for air tools while I work on my motorcycle and my cars, grinders, sanders and tools of that nature, also to operate a motorcycle lift (whenever I end up buying one.) The place where I'm renting now only has 120V. Whenever I buy a house I plan on making my garage 240V.

My neighbor recommended the brand Campbell Hausfeld, I had never heard of it until he mentioned it. It's got some pretty good reviews and evidently it's built in the USA (which should help with the quality). Any of you guys have any experience with this brand?

My neighbor recommended 2 horse power motor and 20 gallons. What do you guys think? Would that be enough for what I plan on using it for? For a few extra bucks I can get a 16 gallon or a 30 gallon unit. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also I've seen 1 satge and 2 stage motors. not sure what that means.

I've also seen where different models advertise that they output 5.5 CFM @ 90 psi or 10.2 CFM @ 90 psi. I have no idea what that means. Can anyone help?

here is a link to the model I"m looking at .

www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-VT6290-Air-Compressor/p85.html#q_a

thanks guys.

What the numbers that you have listed indicate are the Compression Ratio of the compressor. Some are better than other so the more CFM at rated PSI is a more efficient compressor. However, this number is actually very misleading and often bogus since the output is rated where it's built, as air compression ratio depends heavily on the ambient air that is being used to compress (temperature, relative humidity, altitude). But the easy way to understand and size and home/garage compressor is by CFM production. PSI (pressure) and CFM (Flow) are influenced by each other - meaning that if you increase pressure, you lose flow and vice-versa. The tools that you are talking about require more FLOW so pressure needs to be decreased to make the tool effective. Higher pressure will reduce flow and overrun the capacity of the compressor and cause the tool to lose strength.
A two-stage compressor has the ability to run at much higher pressure due to a second compression stroke - as I said earlier, FLOW and PRESSURE are influenced by each other, so a two-stage compressor will make more CFM if the Pressure is reduced.
What helps a compressor work best is storage or tank size. So for your garage and use, get the largest HP your garage voltage and amperage will allow (probably 2 HP at 115 VAC), then get a two-stage compressor if possible, then get the biggest tank you can (80 Gallons or larger). Get a FRL (filter-regulator-lubricator) and set the tank pressure at 120 PSI (set at the compressor pressure switch) and Line pressure at 75-80 PSI max. This creates a pressure differential between the line and tank and is how you STORE air. Get this set up, drain the tank about once a month to get moisture/dirt out, keep the air filter clean, and you will have a compressed air system that will do exactly what you want...reliably, for many years.

I just ran over a Mustang named Challenger!

2010 2SS/RS, Summit White
2008 Caddy CTS 3.6, Silver
2007 HD Nightrain, Black is the only color
Kvnshphrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Alain

I ended up going with an ingersol rand. 20 gallon, 5.4 CFM @ 90 psi unit. That's all ok gonna need for what I'm gonna be using it for.

Ingersol rand is one of the best brands in the business with great reliability and on line reviews.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Kvnshphrd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Summit White)
Can't go wrong with IR, Alain. They build great products! Good luck!

I just ran over a Mustang named Challenger!

2010 2SS/RS, Summit White
2008 Caddy CTS 3.6, Silver
2007 HD Nightrain, Black is the only color
Kvnshphrd is offline   Reply With Quote